R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-10-2004, 08:27 PM   #12391
Tech Prophet

Default Re: clutch setup

Quote:
Originally posted by JustRace
I was at the Region 4 race last weekend and Paola said he was using the standard flyweights, 1.45mm spring/nut gap, black shoes and .4 mm gap on the clutch bell. He said the .4 mm was the key. Maybe he can elaborate on this. He was definately the fastest guy on the track.
Woow ! 1.45 mm is a lot ! The rule of thumb (for me at least) is tighter pre-tension nut setting and small clutch gap like 0.4 mm used on a smaller and perhaps a more slippery track. Vice versa for large clutch gap and mostly used on larger more open track with higher traction. Perhaps the track did not have lots of traction.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 08:31 PM   #12392
Tech Prophet

Default Re: I knew...

Quote:
Originally posted by Afterburner
I could count on you guys. They should change this to "GET YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE" thread
Glad you got your quick replies here.
Old 06-10-2004, 08:31 PM   #12393
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Off Topic...

Quote:
Originally posted by Proficar403
I would not buy a power supply for just my gas stuff. I run electric also, so I already have a couple of supplies. AFAIK the hudy needs a lot of juice, and that would probably just be too expensive and bulky of a ps.
True. Those PSUs are very expensive. But a cheap one I know is from the good old PC. They are cheap and very easy to find. I'm told that they provide a very stable high amp. This coming from an electrician friend who checked the output with an oscilloscope. I think there is a schematic out on the internet to modify it...
Old 06-10-2004, 08:32 PM   #12394
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: clutch setup

Quote:
I have been running a .4 gap for a while now. This weekend, I will try modding the flyweights with the setscrews just to see what the difference is. I have noticed that, with the .4 gap, I do not have that much of a window for adjustment. It seems that any adjustments lead to excessive bogging or slip. Hopefully the new flyweights will make a difference and give me more of a sweet spot.
I use to use .4 mm clutch gap when I started out. But that was just with the modded flyweights put in between the post WITHOUT the set screws. Worked quite well but with 0.6 or 0.7 mm clutch gap with 1 mm spacing on the pre-tension nut and the threading, I got more aggressive clutch engagement.

When I swithed to putting set screws on the flyweights, I noticed that the car would still pull after after 15 to 20 feet (somewhere at the top end RPM on 1st gear). It's like a small gearing change in between the 1st and 2nd gear. When 2nd gear comes in, the car just pulls. All these are with the stock black clutch shoes and stock Centax spring.
Old 06-10-2004, 08:39 PM   #12395
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

So Julius, your using the new yellow shoes completely stock and having good results?? Is that also the stock spring as well? I'll have to get the yellow shoes and try them out.
SupermaxxRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 08:48 PM   #12396
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to kreidel
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Some testings...

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Thanks Julius. I don't have the yellow clutch shoes at the moment. Have you tried setting the flyweight mods with set screws in it? When I get the yellow shoes (if I get it ), I'll try stock flyweight mounting WITHOUT set screw, stock flyweight mounting WITH set screw at the one end, modded flyweights and mounted in between the post WITHOUT set screws and finally modded and mounted in between the post WITH 2 set screws.
Sounds like alot of work....you will need to invest in some more tools and screws with all the experimenting
kreidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 08:59 PM   #12397
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Some testings...

Quote:
Originally posted by kreidel
Sounds like alot of work....you will need to invest in some more tools and screws with all the experimenting
It's pretty easy actually. Just get additional new flyweights. Use them and mount them stock. Test. Take them out. Drill one 2.5 mm hole at the end of each flyweight. Put the M3x4 set screw on them. Test.

I've already got the modded and cut flyweights with 2 set screws on each flyweight. I take the set screws out and it'll be the modded flyweights without set screws.

Well, all in all, I like experimenting. It's the big part of the hobby that I like most about besides driving.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:24 PM   #12398
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to kreidel
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Some testings...

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
It's pretty easy actually. Just get additional new flyweights. Use them and mount them stock. Test. Take them out. Drill one 2.5 mm hole at the end of each flyweight. Put the M3x4 set screw on them. Test.

I've already got the modded and cut flyweights with 2 set screws on each flyweight. I take the set screws out and it'll be the modded flyweights without set screws.

Well, all in all, I like experimenting. It's the big part of the hobby that I like most about besides driving.
I hear you, I love testing, it is almost more fun trying to get there than it is being there. I would like more track time but 13 months ago my wife and I had our first child and most of my free time goes into her. I actually am a stay-at-home father so I get to spend alot of time with her. But one day when she is a teenager she will hate me so I need to get as much time with her now as I can. At that time I will live at the track!
kreidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 10:02 PM   #12399
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well
after running my Serpent for the first serious race all I can say is thanks Serpent. I have Run a Mugen for a very long time and still plan to keep mine but I can honestly say (IMHO) that this is the finest handling and performing sedan I have ever seen anywhere, anytime anyplace. Its so docile and balanced and responds to changes so well its almost scary. It wears tires even and leaps off the corners like a TC3. I did have to change a few things on the car but its trivial stuff (ie clutch setup,835 front axles and convert to steel front pivot balls)
The car just rocks.
Julius tell Pieter and the Serpent crew

Dennis Richey
Richey Performance Motorsport
USA
Old 06-10-2004, 10:32 PM   #12400
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Motorman
Dennis Richey
USA
Good to see you around.. hope you could reply my email dated 28/APR.
Pyramid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 11:00 PM   #12401
Tech Prophet

Quote:
The car just rocks.
Dennis, you're way behind time ! Guess you can put the blame on the snow. Most of us have already run our cars for nearly 6 months already and we've been telling just that... The car rocks.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:44 PM   #12402
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Well
after running my Serpent for the first serious race all I can say is thanks Serpent. I have Run a Mugen for a very long time and still plan to keep mine but I can honestly say (IMHO) that this is the finest handling and performing sedan I have ever seen anywhere, anytime anyplace. Its so docile and balanced and responds to changes so well its almost scary. It wears tires even and leaps off the corners like a TC3. I did have to change a few things on the car but its trivial stuff (ie clutch setup,835 front axles and convert to steel front pivot balls)
The car just rocks.
Julius tell Pieter and the Serpent crew

Dennis Richey
USA
...trivial stuff...
It is that trivial stuff that keeps this car from being absolutely perfect...instead of just almost absolutely perfect.

You can multiply these parts by 3...the car didn't like the combination of high traction and a straight axle.

I agree though...the car just rocks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg im004230.jpg (60.5 KB, 125 views)
Old 06-10-2004, 11:55 PM   #12403
Tech Prophet

Quote:
...trivial stuff...
It is that trivial stuff that keeps this car from being absolutely perfect...instead of just almost absolutely perfect.
Ahh, I guess it just goes to show that no car is perfect as the old saying goes... Without Hudy that is.

Quote:
You can multiply these parts by 3...the car didn't like the combination of high traction and a straight axle.
Strange. I've run the car with solid axle front and did not get those type of breakage. I'll run it again a few times and will check it out.

Say, how did those parts break? Did you hit the knuckle while on throttle? I would guess the part where the dogbone broke was the part that went into the broken oneway drive cup... Something must have prevented it from turning.

Quote:
I agree though...the car just rocks.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:15 AM   #12404
Tech Fanatic

The dogbone break first from hard impact.
Then the outdrive came out and hit upper suspension holder.

Just a guess.
GoldFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 12:35 AM   #12405
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jscamry Send a message via MSN to jscamry Send a message via Yahoo to jscamry Send a message via Skype™ to jscamry
Default nitialD

nitialD: where did you get the solid from? Also does it work better then just using say 120k diff greese in the front diff?

thanks Jason
jscamry is offline   Reply With Quote