R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-30-2004, 12:12 AM   #9226
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by BaxterC
I was offered a job by BMW to be an Advanced Driving instructor in Dubai, I used to do the Demonstrations on the skid pan for the trainees.
Man I'm impressed. To be able to be a driving instructor for BMW says something. Do you train stunt drivers?
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 12:13 AM   #9227
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
ROTFLMAO !

But seriously, I believe last time they had gyros on RC cars which stabilises the car when cornering !
What does this stand for

ROTFLMAO

I know: Rolling on the floor with laughter... Then I am lost?
BaxterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 12:18 AM   #9228
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Man I'm impressed. To be able to be a driving instructor for BMW says something. Do you train stunt drivers?
We had a few stunt drivers, but not many... I used to do it on Sundays and was never paid, but I can tell you it is FUN. If I really needed to, I would be able to train a stunt driver. The main instructor did some stunts for Audi's advert... (Where the Audi was doing circles in the snow with no tyres and made the Audi Badge) and for BMW... (Did a hand-brake turn into a parking space with cars all around) and many others...

I loved it. I wish I could do that again.
Old 04-30-2004, 12:28 AM   #9229
Tech Prophet

Quote:
I know: Rolling on the floor

...laughing my a$$ off !
Old 04-30-2004, 12:40 AM   #9230
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
...laughing my a$$ off !
Thank you..., Now it makes sence!!!
Old 04-30-2004, 12:51 AM   #9231
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
We had a few stunt drivers, but not many... I used to do it on Sundays and was never paid, but I can tell you it is FUN. If I really needed to, I would be able to train a stunt driver. The main instructor did some stunts for Audi's advert... (Where the Audi was doing circles in the snow with no tyres and made the Audi Badge) and for BMW... (Did a hand-brake turn into a parking space with cars all around) and many others...

I loved it. I wish I could do that again.
I suppose I could do drift... Now that would be fun... a bit pricey tyre wise.

A friend of mine is still doing it for a small company, but he is not being paid well... A lot less than $1000 a month.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:00 AM   #9232
Tech Master

Quote:
Thanks for sharing the setup Pyramid ! Some questions...

1. UBO / LT setting is pretty high rear roll center. I think that's about the same as what Michael did in Thailand. I'm currently testing UTI / LT. Just one step lower on the rear center than yours. Seem to be pretty OK for the car. Rotates quite well. But I like to use high roll center in the front. Makes the car shift nicely and fast in the on throttle chicanes. I believe Julius is currently having the same type of rollcenters in the front and rear.

2. Noticed you're using pretty soft rear sway bar setting with the inner mounting of the rear arm...

3. How does the 80wt or 70 wt Trinity Oil compare to Serpent's shock oil weight rating? About half that?

4. How is the fixed pistons (used in the rear) different from the adjustable ones (used in the front)?

5. Concerning droop... Mind telling us what shock lengths did you use? That would determine how much droop by using your method. I'll check to see if my droop settings are like what you described.

6. DRS arm... By saying it is below, I take it that the rear wheel will toe in on cornering? I hope you took the LT position of the rear bottom pivot pin into account when mentioning the DRS arm...

Sorry for the many questions !
1. Concerning the roll center again.. For me, I found out it gives more tracktion in rear that way.
2. I tought inner mounting supposed to give harder fell..
3. I never use serpent oil, sorry, could not answer this one.
4. I do not intend to make less of rear tracktion to gain more steering (by adjusting the piston for less hole).. that`s the reason the front using adjustable for finding setup easier and faster. Especially if the car is oversteer, I could just make the front harder.
5. Will takes some times on this but I notice there is gap about 1mm (able to see the threads).
6. Yes, so I believe it would be as standard but means below because of the LT.

About UTI\LT, you might want to ask goldfinger, I believe he tried that one before.

I notice you using front diff because the lack of tracktion on the track.. In case you have free time, pls give it a try and keep us inform.

Those setup is based, as you know, on a small techical track (46X22m with 2.8m infields) with the lack of full throttle cornering into the straight which I would like to know either it will push or not. Must wait till GQ Asian Cup in JITC big track to test again. But from the experience, if it drive nice on our small track, it driver much nicer on JITC.
Pyramid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 01:11 AM   #9233
Tech Master

Quote:
What does this stand for

ROTFLMAO

I know: Rolling on the floor with laughter... Then I am lost?
Man... the S710 has not arrive until now while on its way and now the MG is only `shipping` ... the good thing is.. looks like you`ve been driving the car long time ago.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:22 AM   #9234
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyramid
Man... the S710 has not arrive until now while on its way and now the MG is only `shipping` ... the good thing is.. looks like you`ve been driving the car long time ago.
Thank you, I wish it would arrive, now, another week, still now kit. I then ordered the MG and the Mazda 6, also still shipping, so much for express....

I have learnt SO MUCH from this Forum... like the name says... Tech Adict.

Thank you for the setup, I also will race on a small technical track and it will help, but I will use the solid front axle.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:26 AM   #9235
Tech Prophet

Quote:
1. Concerning the roll center again.. For me, I found out it gives more tracktion in rear that way.
Higher rear roll center with shorter rear upper arm = more camber change in the corners. Perhaps that's why you're experiencing more traction...

Quote:
2. I tought inner mounting supposed to give harder fell..
Inner is softer. Outer is harder. Refer to the Serpent setup booklet page 27.

Quote:
5. Will takes some times on this but I notice there is gap about 1mm (able to see the threads).
Ok. I think you've tightened the ball joint to the max to get shortest shock length.

Quote:
I notice you using front diff because the lack of tracktion on the track.. In case you have free time, pls give it a try and keep us inform.
Will do. Crashed_1 is also using the front ball diff. It seems he's pretty happy with his setup at the moment. I believe his setup is pretty close to the one used in Brazil Pre-WC.
Old 04-30-2004, 02:03 AM   #9236
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Higher rear roll center with shorter rear upper arm = more camber change in the corners. Perhaps that's why you're experiencing more traction...
This is the bottomline of what we have found in the back of all RC Car.
And like Pyramid said, we dont setup the car to have more steering by reducing rear traction.

Quote:

Will do. Crashed_1 is also using the front ball diff. It seems he's pretty happy with his setup at the moment. I believe his setup is pretty close to the one used in Brazil Pre-WC.
Be carefull with on-thrttle push, but when loose it a bit.. be carefull with small amount of (diff)slipping in the front.
Thats from my short experience with FR Diff, maybe I must spend more time with it.
GoldFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 02:03 AM   #9237
Tech Master

Quote:
Agreed... I did notice that.
Old 04-30-2004, 02:33 AM   #9238
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Agreed... I did notice that.
I think we need some input from factory... If you look at the setup booklet, they suggest that if you want more steering, higher rear roll center. So how can more rear traction have better steering?

Me thinks that rear traction is gained from the camber changes...
Old 04-30-2004, 02:39 AM   #9239
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by GoldFinger
Be carefull with on-thrttle push, but when loose it a bit.. be carefull with small amount of (diff)slipping in the front.
Thats from my short experience with FR Diff, maybe I must spend more time with it.
I found the on throttle steering surprisingly good. We'll see how it goes tomorrow.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:15 AM   #9240
Tech Master

Quote:
I think we need some input from factory... If you look at the setup booklet, they suggest that if you want more steering, higher rear roll center. So how can more rear traction have better steering?

Me thinks that rear traction is gained from the camber changes...
I believe you remember that was the first thing I mentioned right afer finish building it back then...

Still searching some answer but I still believe on Roll Axis and weight transfer plays important parts with this matter since now the A arms hanging higher from the chassis than the front. It would have been different story if you get higher/lower RC by only using upper arms.