R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-21-2004, 06:23 AM   #6496
Tech Adept

Default Re: Re: Re: FAQ Version 1.0 Now Available!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by markp27
Thanks for the info - FAQ will be updated with new info for the next release.

It's always pretty nice having a look at the Dutch sites, with German and Dutch being pretty close - it's quite fun working out what the text is on the website. Does your LHS also send international?
Yes, he sends his goods all over the world.
The Webshop page:
Webshop
is in english with a dutch intro.

Ps he was the first to do a preorder for 710 when even Serpent didn't tell they were making a new car
Schrijver99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 06:24 AM   #6497
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by modellor
Holland, Europe
Holland, Europe and Asia
Schrijver99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 07:49 AM   #6498
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by modellor
I guess it has something to do with temperature. Most of the people saying they broke parts are in hotter climate countries. In Europe and especially the UK we are not having any problems with the cars breaking parts.

I guess it is mainly due to were the parts are produced. In mild European climate the parts will work fine until they are shipped to hotter climates were the heat softens and weakens the plastic.

Same with cars made in hotter climate areas. They are fine in that climate and when introduced to a colder climate they tend to become more brittle and easier broke.

This is just my perception based on what cars are breaking most in different areas.
When parts get warmer they flex more and thus break less. In case of the rear a-arm however as the part gets hotter it gets more flexible thus allowing the thread to come out more easily. Parts break because you hit things. In Europe most tracks are grass infield and have runoff areas, whereas in other places boards are used which gives harder impacts.

Needless to say we've already made changes where nescessary and the strengthened parts are becoming available.
Julius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 07:53 AM   #6499
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
My experience with the 710 in 2 weeks....
Hi,

Here's how I broke 3 shock tower in a day if my memory serves well: 1st time is a bump on the back by a 1/8 on the straight that pushed my car to the end. 2nd time is my error that got the car flipped many times on the side. 3rd time is a collision with other cars. Gladly the track keep stock of Serpent parts so I could go on....

I could not describe how bad or good I drive. I am no "Ralph Burch", but I am no newbie either. The first Serpent car that I had is a gas buggy from Serpent that is about 2 decades ago. When I was crazily into cars back then the only choices for on road are 1/8 nitro and 1/12 electric only, long before touring car comes into action.....

I came back into cars 2 years ago. Back then I went to 1/8 first, because I missed the car action for quite sometime I don't know which one to get. Finally I got a Veteq because of my previous good experience in Serpent products. The Veteq disappointed me with various aspects. After having the Veteq for less than 1/2 year I bought a Mugen MRX3 I liked it very much and have been driving it till now. Lately my friend wanted to go into nitro touring, so I got the 710 because I wanted to see if Serpent finally could come up with a good product, but in my case Serpent failed me once again.....

I really want to see Serpent could come up with a successful car. IMO lately their cars have been designed too complicate to drive and setup, coupled with loosing big championships and high price I see Serpent is loosing customers to other makes of cars that are cost cheaper, easier to drive and setup. I am involved in business in marketing and manufacturing in other aspects of R/C, and I learned that winning championships, economical price, customer support and "User friendliness" are the four pillars of a successful product that would win the market. Serpent definitely win on the customer support factor, but failed on the other three aspects to other manucfacturer. If they would have more "User friendly" product it would completely help them gain back the market that they've been loosing.

Once again this post is about my personal experience and no flame is intended.

Last edited by jasoncsc; 03-21-2004 at 08:12 AM.
jasoncsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 08:06 AM   #6500
Tech Fanatic

Does anyone have a pic of how a throttle return spring looks like?
Futaba 4PX
cyba888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 08:22 AM   #6501
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by jasoncsc

I really want to see Serpent could come up with a successful car. IMO lately their cars have been designed too complicate to drive and setup, coupled with loosing big championships and high price I see Serpent is loosing customers to other makes of cars that are cost cheaper, easier to drive and setup.
I'm interested to hear in what way you find the 710 difficult to setup and drive.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:31 AM   #6502
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by cyba888
Does anyone have a pic of how a throttle return spring looks like?
cyba its just a spring, soft but hard enough to pull your throttle close if you lose power to the servo

the best is to follow Art's method, detailed here

Sow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 08:35 AM   #6503
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Julius
When parts get warmer they flex more and thus break less. In case of the rear a-arm however as the part gets hotter it gets more flexible thus allowing the thread to come out more easily. Parts break because you hit things. In Europe most tracks are grass infield and have runoff areas, whereas in other places boards are used which gives harder impacts.

Needless to say we've already made changes where nescessary and the strengthened parts are becoming available.
Wouldn't a longer alu pivot ball solve the issue like the steel ones?...Just wondering coz I've wrecked 2 rear a-arm just by tapping them on curbs, but managed to resolve the problem by using the heavier but reliable steel ones...Thanx to Initial D for swapping them with my alu ones...
crashed_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 08:42 AM   #6504
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by crashed_1
Wouldn't a longer alu pivot ball solve the issue like the steel ones?...Just wondering coz I've wrecked 2 rear a-arm just by tapping them on curbs, but managed to resolve the problem by using the heavier but reliable steel ones...Thanx to Initial D for swapping them with my alu ones...
That would mean having different sizes of pivot balls....
We made the arm longer so the ball goes in deeper.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:18 AM   #6505
Tech Apprentice

Dear Julius,

Well, my experience would come out with a quite long story, but....here's my short version view....

I believe simple is better. The 710 offers many advanced setup option like the changing of roll centers and the DRS. These are not available in other makes of cars as I observed. While Serpent, while designing the 710, wanted to give more options to the drivers to better dial in their cars according to their needs, but this would become a "double edged sword".

Like my experience, with the stock recommend setup, my car was understeer going into a turn, but slide badly exiting one. I am asking peole what could be changed and needless to say a lot of different opinions comes to me. I then try changing basic settings, the problem persists and even sometimes worst, then I go about to changing the roll centers and DRS. I travelled to far and in some cases made things quite worst. Then I went back to a version that based on the basic setting with a little change. Still the car does not drive as I want it to be, but at least its near "the ballpark".

Compared that to the FW05 that I helped my friends assemble and setup. With the standard setting, while it is not a "dream" to drive" it more or less falls into the ballpark.

Comparing the drive feeling of the "dialed in" 710 and the FW, I feel the FW drives better. I am not trying to say that X brand is better than Y brand here, but to me the 710 gives me too much option to setup and to even "think about".

Julius, I see you are living in Netherlands, and may even be involved with Serpent. If so, I would recommend you to take off your "Serpent hat", and go to various car tracks and listen to drivers, not the top guys who frequent the podium, but the ones on the side. Especially listen to those who once driven Serpent and changed to other brands, ask them why and their experience after changing. I always hear from local people that "Serpent cars are not easy to drive and setup, and it would take a certain amount of time and patient to get it setup right". I also hear from some local top Serpent guys who said "Serpent cars are for advanced users only who knows exactly what they want and knows how to factor them into setting up their cars". The second statement, while contains more pride, if Serpent cherish that then frankly speaking Serpent is gradually loosing market to others.

I congradulate very much about Serpent's good support, especially their mytsn. However, take a different view about this...other makers who does not have such good support still sells very good, why? What if they would come up with their own version of mytsn? What could Serpent done more to protect their market share?

Once again, the above are my personal opinion and no flames intended. I am not a "Serpent basher", but in fact a "Serpent lover" that wants to see Serpent product succeed, because in my past experience I liked Serpent products very much, and want to see it continue this saga. I hope that Serpent is not some company that only "listen to things that charms their ears"....
jasoncsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 10:36 AM   #6506
Tech Elite

Quote:
Dear Julius,

Well, my experience would come out with a quite long story, but....here's my short version view....

I believe simple is better. The 710 offers many advanced setup option like the changing of roll centers and the DRS. These are not available in other makes of cars as I observed. While Serpent, while designing the 710, wanted to give more options to the drivers to better dial in their cars according to their needs, but this would become a "double edged sword".
Here's my experience. Having driven 2 cars who are at the top of their game, a NTC3 and a 710, i must say that each car has it's pros and cons, it's how we deal with them. A NTC3 has less to fiddle with, which makes the car easier to setup or troubleshoot for a particular track, whereas a 710 has loads of options for setup which makes life a little more complicated but nonetheless exciting. The mistake I observed from my experience with the 710 is we tend to change too much on the car to get it right. I must've missed the line where it states "change one thing at a time" . The more I drove the 710, the worst the car handled. Somethings not right here. This is also due to my limited experience on setting up a car properly but with the NTC3 it was a breeze to get the car right. With the 710 and it's flexibility it all became a little too much for a newbie. Here's what i did. I set it back to it's default setup and changed one thing at a time, starting with the most obvious and voila, next thing I knew i was clocking the best time and screaming around the local track like a pro...

Though the car has loads of setup options, I guess some are better left untouched IMHO.

crashed_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 10:50 AM   #6507
Tech Master

Quote:
Dear Julius,
I also hear from some local top Serpent guys who said "Serpent cars are for advanced users only who knows exactly what they want and knows how to factor them into setting up their cars". The second statement, while contains more pride, if Serpent cherish that then frankly speaking Serpent is gradually loosing market to others.

I congradulate very much about Serpent's good support, especially their mytsn. However, take a different view about this...other makers who does not have such good support still sells very good, why? What if they would come up with their own version of mytsn? What could Serpent done more to protect their market share?

I hope that Serpent is not some company that only "listen to things that charms their ears"....
I'm very impressed of what you have said. It puts a lot of guts to say it out loud in here. And there is nothing wrong with what you have said.

I just wish your local supplier could actually help out by giving specific setup support for your local track as it is in Singapore and Bangkok which has a very strong Serpent market and supports (I believe).

Please visit here for some S710 tips and trick in case you are still interested.. http://www.daltonshop.com/tips_tricks.htm
Pyramid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 11:48 AM   #6508
Tech Regular

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Julius
... In Europe most tracks are grass infield and have runoff areas, whereas in other places boards are used which gives harder impacts.

In addition, in the U.S., as the weather warms up we'll see much more club activity, which means average drivers banging on lots of boards, with lots of broken parts.
There are clearly weak areas in the car; most notably the front steering block, pivot balls, rear shock tower, and a-arm. Two trends are clear from reading this Forum:
1. The car has weak areas, and Serpent is working on continually improving the product.
2. Many observers have reported the same basic observation: The car has a wide sweet spot, and once you get the initial push dialed out, LAP TIMES ARE CONSISTENTLY ONE SECOND BETTER THAN OUR PREVIOUS BEST.
Thanks Serpent, for a great car, and and an attitude that "Improvement is job one".
clmbia45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 01:39 PM   #6509
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

In the begginning I don't mind there being some weak areas as long as Serpent is willing to step up to the plate and fix these weak areas in a reasonable amount of time! After buying two car kits I hope I'm not stuck with a car that is continually breaking?
SupermaxxRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 02:12 PM   #6510
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Quote:
{SNIP}
I believe simple is better. {SNIP}

Maybe you might be happier with a pan car, or one of the earlier HPI's that had fixed linkages, no pivot balls and bugger all tuning options.

You do realise you dont HAVE to use all the tuning options in the 710. I havent touched roll centers or DRS on mine yet, and its almost where I want it setup wise.

Serpent do listen to the average racer. We told them... The rear shock tower is shit, the rear arms are weak and the front bumper is crap. Guess what, new revised parts are already hitting the shelves.
sparksy is offline   Reply With Quote