R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-14-2004, 07:05 PM   #5866
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Julius
Compared to the 705 it seems you can get away with using at least one step harder tires to get the same grip levels.
Yup. Took the 705 for a spin last weekend on Sunday ! Noticed that even with harder tires, the car used quite a lot of tires. I guess it's the weight of the car. It also does not help with the oneway in.

Anyway, I also noticed that the 710 does not roll so much even with no front antiroll bars and soft suspension setup (i.e. yellow springs with 30wt oil and 4 or 5 holes open). This was evident from the no scratches I got going in on our high speed sweeper from the relatively low pipe which was almost level with the chassis.

With last weekend's run, running 37 shore front (Speedmind) and 40 shore rear (Sato Seiki which is actually made by Speedmind also) made the front and rear wear consistant all the way ! I started with the front being 1.5 mm smaller than the rear. After about 7 tanks or so, tire wear was like 2 mm only for the front and rear !
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 07:06 PM   #5867
Tech Prophet

Quote:
I change left to right about halfway, If you don't you're looking at about 45 minutes before the outside get's too small. You could of course reset the ride height and run them a little smaller but That is not something I want to do as it would compromise the objective of the test (finding a setup that works with big and small tires)
Julius, would you want to consider running 1 shore harder on the side of the wheel that wears faster? Say that if you have more right turns, then use 1 step shore harder on the left side to get equal left and right tire wear in a long main without swapping tires?
Old 03-14-2004, 07:37 PM   #5868
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

this was posted by "fastharry " on the hpi r40 forum
Quote:
why's the disguise on the 710?....oh,I get it......looks like a wolf..Heart of a lamb....that lamb better not knock into the corral wall.....those legs(uh,I mean pivotballs and arms) look a bit fragile......

once again proving,you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear......
all he does is bash serpents in that forum
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 08:12 PM   #5869
Tech Elite

Default Re: One just for InitialD

Quote:
Originally posted by markp27
Found this one too as I was digging around in my old pics!
Oh no, its that useless driver Alex yoong. I heard he throws up a bit when he was driving in F1 for Minardi!

Man ... am going to miss this year's "hottest F1 race" in KL.
Sow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 08:17 PM   #5870
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: One just for InitialD

Quote:
Originally posted by Sow&Steady
Oh no, its that useless driver Alex yoong. I heard he throws up a bit when he was driving in F1 for Minardi!

but funny that he is the official track expert advisor for Star TV F1 programme!!. Half the time he DNQ! Pretty boy with very rich parents.
spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 08:29 PM   #5871
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Marcos.S710
Unbelieveable ... !
Old 03-14-2004, 08:33 PM   #5872
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Marcos.S710
People wil only do that when they feel insecure about themselves and about what they drive ! Lets see how well he does with his car or if he gets whacked by the 710 on his track !
Old 03-14-2004, 08:37 PM   #5873
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: One just for InitialD

Quote:
Originally posted by spawn
but funny that he is the official track expert advisor for Star TV F1 programme!!. Half the time he DNQ! Pretty boy with very rich parents.
I couldn't agree with you more!
Old 03-14-2004, 08:44 PM   #5874
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
What diameter were the new tires?
Large tires will flex more = flip more.

Firming the rear sway bar makes things worse as you decrease rear grip = more turn in = more flipping.
Changing to a lower front roll center is more productive.

Only lowering the ride height is not enough when changing tire sizes. You'll need to adjust the downstop as well. Every mm tire size change = 0.5mm downstop change.

Actually I try to get a setup that works with new down to small tires without changing spring or downstop settings. This makes for a good car during finals and long runs. I've posted my setup I'm currently using in Heemstede on Mytsn.
Hey Julius thanks for the tip. I was hoping I can change tires without changing any setup besides the ride height. As far as downstop goes, with new tires ( larger diameter) do I increase or decrease the downstop?

BTW I cant seem to find your setup on mytsn. How do I search for it? Team Driver huh?
Futaba 4PX
cyba888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 08:45 PM   #5875
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: One just for InitialD

Quote:
Oh no, its that useless driver Alex yoong.
Same sentiments ! I think I told Mark how I felt about the whole thing on PM sometime back if I'm not mistaken.

Quote:
Yeah, but you will probably not miss the "coolest F1 race" in Bridgestone this year !

Eh, what is this I hear that you were down and around in KL the last week or so? Shopping for more spare parts?
Old 03-14-2004, 08:46 PM   #5876
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: One just for InitialD

Quote:
Originally posted by spawn
but funny that he is the official track expert advisor for Star TV F1 programme!!.
Old 03-14-2004, 08:52 PM   #5877
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by cyba888
As far as downstop goes, with new tires ( larger diameter) do I increase or decrease the downstop?
New tires are about 66 mm in diameter. Take for example the stock 710 setup of 62 mm tires with a ride height of 6 mm and a front and rear droop of 0 and 7 respectively, you need to change and add +2 [(66-62)/2] to the front and rear droop i.e. +2 front and +9 in the rear on the droop scale if you use the new 66 mm tires and reset the ride height to 6 mm. That would mean decrease in chassis uptravel but increase in the droop scale.

Quote:
Originally posted by cyba888
BTW I cant seem to find your setup on mytsn. How do I search for it? Team Driver huh?
You could also go to setups on the side bar of the main page. His is there under his surname Kolff.

http://www.mytsn.com/setups/setup.asp?sid=2340
Old 03-14-2004, 08:55 PM   #5878
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by dino.tw
hehehe.....Don't cry man. You are no the only one. Have you saw mine 950R flipping out and sticking on the railing? That just is real f**king damn catastrophe.....

Our track has extremely well traction and high speed. And almost U-turns all over there. You may need to use brake "before" you enter the high speed corner to let your car slow down a bit. Have you saw a F1 without using brake then rush into the backstraight end corner? Only A.Senna dare to do that but....

Touring car flipping is not thing special. When next time you see three 1/8s entering the corner at the same time and all flip out toghther,you will stop crying and start to laugh. Wanna to see that? Join the next sunday race. Only NT$500 entry fee but you will learn more and fast. I can help you to setup your car. (But you need to occupy a seat for me that we can sit together. I always wake up too late... )

Listen to Julius's and Paolo M's suggestion,they are real team drivers. Don't listen to me,I may know engine but don't know car set-up.
Ok next time I have engine failure ill just pass you the engine Hey even though you are not a team driver, at least last race you got 3rd place in A main I saw your pic on the rctech magazine website! Maybe one day I might race but im just out there having fun at the moment with my friends.
Futaba 4PX
Old 03-14-2004, 09:15 PM   #5879
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
New tires are about 66 mm in diameter. Take for example the stock 710 setup of 62 mm tires with a ride height of 6 mm and a front and rear droop of 0 and 7 respectively, you need to change and add +2 [(66-62)/2] to the front and rear droop i.e. +2 front and +9 in the rear on the droop scale if you use the new 66 mm tires and reset the ride height to 6 mm. That would mean decrease in chassis uptravel but increase in the droop scale.

You could also go to setups on the side bar of the main page. His is there under his surname Kolff.

http://www.mytsn.com/setups/setup.asp?sid=2340
Thanks D,

Just to making sure how you got the number 2? You posted [(66-62)/2]. So does that mean 66-62=4 divided by 2=2? Just making sure
Futaba 4PX
Old 03-14-2004, 09:31 PM   #5880
Tech Fanatic

How do you guys measure ride height? What I do is compress the car a bit and then measure it but sometimes its a bit off when I measure it repeatedly. Do you just lift the car up and put it down without compressing the shocks or do you need to push the car down until it bottoms out? Whats suppose to be the correct way?
Futaba 4PX