R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-29-2004, 11:11 PM   #4966
Tech Fanatic

Default MYTSN

Hey Maxx, try this and see if it is gonna work, press ctrl + n and then go to mytsn, log on and then minimise the page DONT CLOSE, just minimise, then go to the link, and see how this works. Let us know please.
BaxterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 11:15 PM   #4967
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thanks "D". You know, I must have looked at every other link besides that "Download" one like 3 times. Must have been a brain fart!! Thanks. Worked for me now.
SupermaxxRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 11:19 PM   #4968
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by SupermaxxRich
How come you run such a tight track width "D"?
A smaller trackwidth makes the car turn better expecially with a solid front and more nimble in and out of chicanes. Too wide rear trackwidth makes for a very stable rear = less steering.

Quote:
Originally posted by SupermaxxRich
Also why do you have 1/2 a degree difference in camber on the rear and not the front?
There are more right hand corners at high speed on the track that I run. The rear left tire cones more hence more rear left tire camber compared to the right side. As for the front, I do not find the need to make the camber different. They wear the same.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 11:28 PM   #4969
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thanks,again more good info. Just learned something new today!
SupermaxxRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 01:18 AM   #4970
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Rear traction

Yo,D!

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
What happens with a one way on power is that the front turns into a solid axle. That transfers the traction to the rear. Front gets lower traction.
My understanding was slightly different, but please correct me:
With the one-way on power, the front end turns into something akin to an intelligent diff, i.e. it delivers more power to the wheel with the most traction - whereas a solid diff delivers equal power to both wheels.

Would it not mean that the front gets a lot of traction, pulling the front through the corner and not loading the rear so much?

Cheers, Mark.
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 02:01 AM   #4971
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rear traction

Quote:
Originally posted by markp27
Would it not mean that the front gets a lot of traction, pulling the front through the corner and not loading the rear so much?
It got me thinking and I think you're right ! Now that you mention it, I think Julius replied once correcting me on the effects of one way.

Perhaps this is a question for Julius?
Old 03-01-2004, 02:05 AM   #4972
Tech Elite

Quote:
Yo,D!

My understanding was slightly different, but please correct me:
With the one-way on power, the front end turns into something akin to an intelligent diff, i.e. it delivers more power to the wheel with the most traction - whereas a solid diff delivers equal power to both wheels.

Cheers, Mark.
Not quite an "intelligent diff" Mark because the 1-way locks as soon as either of the front tires has enough grip to allow the transfer of rotational force from the front belt.

In the ideal (but probably rare) case when there is equal grip on the front tires during corners where the forward motion of the chassis is equal to or greater than the available powered forward roll of the front outer tire, the 1-way behaves exactly like a solid.

The big advantage of the 1-way is that

1- you have very little drag when you have rear overdrive hence greater speeds in general,

2- it is generally lighter (most times even lighter than a solid) hence translate to less rotational mass and more speed and

3- because you can coast or glide into a corner (usually faster than gliding with a diff or solid) you get smoother and faster cornering.

The disadvantages of the 1-way are obvious so look at the track layout and grip. All I can say is that if you're good with a 1-way, you're fast.
Sow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 02:10 AM   #4973
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rear traction

Quote:
Originally posted by Sow&Steady
Not quite an "intelligent diff" Mark because the 1-way locks as soon as either of the front tires has enough grip to allow the transfer of rotational force from the front belt.
But the great property of the one-way, and the reason I said "intelligent", is that when one of the wheels starts to spin, it receives less of the power spilt from the one-way. The extra power is then given to the tyre with the most traction. It only shows a "locked" action when both tyres have an equal share of the grip.

Cheers, Mark.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:11 AM   #4974
Tech Elite

Quote:

Cheers, Mark.
I think you're on-power and probably on overdrive when you're "pulling" so depending on your set-up you may or may not be loading the rear so much.

If there is a lot of grip and your set-up allows for a lot of rearward weight transfer then you may be overloading the rear right? An extreme case is maybe when you have blue front springs on 45 wt with 1 hole with the rear on white springs on 30 wt with 5 holes.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:15 AM   #4975
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rear traction

Quote:
But the great property of the one-way, and the reason I said "intelligent", is that when one of the wheels starts to spin, it receives less of the power spilt from the one-way. The extra power is then given to the tyre with the most traction. It only shows a "locked" action when both tyres have an equal share of the grip.

Cheers, Mark.
I beg to differ my friend.

The one with available grip will lock and would receive exactly the same amount of power should both wheels lock. You see, the 1-way has no differential action and by virtue of this there is no "division" of available power even when both wheels are locked. Well ... maybe Julius can explain better.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:23 AM   #4976
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rear traction

Quote:
I beg to differ my friend.

The one with available grip will lock and would receive exactly the same amount of power should both wheels lock. You see, the 1-way has no differential action and by virtue of this there is no "division" of available power even when both wheels are locked. Well ... maybe Julius can explain better.

Fair enough I'm not knowlegeable enough in this area. I'm sure Julius will teach us the truth
Old 03-01-2004, 02:36 AM   #4977
Tech Prophet

Quote:
1- you have very little drag when you have rear overdrive hence greater speeds in general,
Correct. You are able to run tire splits / overdrive without the drivetrain of the front dragging the rear or vice versa because the moment when power is off, the front drivetrain is disengaged from the rear.

Quote:
2- it is generally lighter (most times even lighter than a solid) hence translate to less rotational mass and more speed and
Don't think so. A one piece "solid" spool is still lighter in terms of rotational mass.

Quote:
3- because you can coast or glide into a corner (usually faster than gliding with a diff or solid) you get smoother and faster cornering.
Correct. That's because the one way acts like a diff with a very light weight oil inside when off power.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:36 AM   #4978
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rear traction

Quote:
Ahah... Found it !

Quote:
Originally posted by Julius
A one way will put power to a wheel when the drivetrain is faster than the wheel right?

Now if you are in a corner and apply power initially the inside wheel will be slowest so it gets powered and the outside won't. But when you turn the inside wheel gets less pressure and will start to slip, at that moment with a one way power will still go to the outside wheel. But with a diff if an inside wheel starts slipping (spinning) all power will go to that wheel (not taking limited slip diffs into account).
Old 03-01-2004, 02:47 AM   #4979
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Both sides of the oneway axle will not lock on power. The wheel that is slowest when compared to the drive train will lock leaving the outer wheel free rolling.

I think Mark is only partially right about the fact that power is only given to the tire with the most traction. Power will be transfered to the wheel that is the slowest when compared relative to the drivetrain.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:51 AM   #4980
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rear traction

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Both sides of the oneway axle will not lock on power. The wheel that is slowest when compared to the drive train will lock leaving the outer wheel free rolling.

I think Mark is only partially right about the fact that power is only given to the tire with the most traction. Power will be transfered to the wheel that is the slowest when compared relative to the drivetrain.
Interesting - this would mean that when the inside and outside tyres (in a corner) have equal grip, then the inside tyre (i.e. the slowest) gets more power. And, if that tyre then looses traction, then the power would then more power would be transfered to the outside?

EDITED: Got my inside and outside mixed up originally

Last edited by markp27; 03-01-2004 at 03:00 AM.