R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-11-2004, 08:30 PM   #4246
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

All right, here it is boys. I've been out of on-road racing for two years after selling my NTC3(wich never held a setting and got me frustrated instead of enjoying myself!) And was wondering if you could help me out? How does the 710 compare to the MTX 3? Is it just as strong or weaker? Does it handle as well and hold its settings just as well? My NTC3 if you just nugded the boards or another car that would be enough to make it handle like garbage! I'm looking for the best all around car to buy. I race on a small tight track with one 100 foot straight. I want something that handle great and is super strong as well. Just looking to go out and have allot of fun. Going to order up tomorrow the Hudy Ultimate Setup System, MIP Tweak Board, Novak Synthesized Reciever and a couple of Hi-Tec servo's. Also should be recieving in a few days my NS12S3. Now I just need to decide on a car? Also, if I go with the 710, do you know of a good place to buy one and spare parts? Also wich parts usually get broken or nedd replacing often as I would like to make one big order because nobody locally will be carrying spare parts for this car. Also please list any hop ups that you think I need to change right away that will either make the car handle better or stronger. Thanks for your time and I hope to hear from you guys soon!
SupermaxxRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 08:40 PM   #4247
B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

FYI the mtx-3 is more popular in Vancouver. Also, parts avalability is better than Serpent, no one carries serpent here.
You could get more help from people here as well, since more of us run it, so we would b more ready to help u out
B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 08:41 PM   #4248
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Hey Arun, I heard you did pretty good at the Snowbirds. Congrats.

Don't worry, if uncertain, ask and you'll get up to speed with things !
I did ok. It is hard to smile, however, when I recall the screw that backed out in my main .

It's funny, I put my 710 together last month, and now I am going to rebuild it! I have not ever even screwed an engine in yet!
Old 02-11-2004, 09:29 PM   #4249
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Proficar403
I did ok. It is hard to smile, however, when I recall the screw that backed out in my main .
Shit happens...

Quote:
It's funny, I put my 710 together last month, and now I am going to rebuild it! I have not ever even screwed an engine in yet!
What are you doing rebuilding it for?
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 09:51 PM   #4250
Tech Elite

Anybody? Also, is the front diff available yet and where can I find it? Thanks.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:11 PM   #4251
Tech Regular

Default Pinion Gear Aluminum Washer

I asked about the 5 th page of this forum back in December or January and got a response that the pinion gears would come with the aluminum spacer that was an additional part attached by staple to the two kits when I ordered them , and to this day, after 5 different orders of the gears and many freinds who have ordered the gears, not one of them have gotten the spacer as stated in the posts from serpent not to worry because they would be included in the package that the gears were in.
Any word on the latest as far as a part # or if the packing of this part is even included as stated earlier ????

After a couple gear changes this thing gets chewed up so fast you may as well order 10 of them to make sure it is correct and in good shape.

Please help with a part # that average Joe can order ????
JABRONI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 10:39 PM   #4252
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Pinion Gear Aluminum Washer

Quote:
Originally posted by JABRONI
Any word on the latest as far as a part # or if the packing of this part is even included as stated earlier ????
JABRONI, I think it was mentioned earlier that the 1st gear pinions would include this thin aluminum shim. I think the ones that you ordered are old stocks. Same situation here too. The "old" batches did not have them. The newer ones of the 1st gear pinions however include this thin aluminum shim. This I can confirm that they are now included.

I think Julius also mentioned that there are no part numbers for this part. But I hear that our LHS will be trying to get a whole bunch of it because the batch that they ordered did not include this aluminum part. Perhaps you could bug your LHS to do the same with Serpent USA.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:42 PM   #4253
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by SupermaxxRich
Anybody? Also, is the front diff available yet and where can I find it? Thanks.
There are some of us here already bought their front adjustable ball diffs. Part number is 802370.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:50 PM   #4254
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by SupermaxxRich
All right, here it is boys. I've been out of on-road racing for two years after selling my NTC3(wich never held a setting and got me frustrated instead of enjoying myself!) And was wondering if you could help me out? How does the 710 compare to the MTX 3? Is it just as strong or weaker? Does it handle as well and hold its settings just as well? My NTC3 if you just nugded the boards or another car that would be enough to make it handle like garbage! I'm looking for the best all around car to buy. I race on a small tight track with one 100 foot straight. I want something that handle great and is super strong as well. Just looking to go out and have allot of fun. Going to order up tomorrow the Hudy Ultimate Setup System, MIP Tweak Board, Novak Synthesized Reciever and a couple of Hi-Tec servo's. Also should be recieving in a few days my NS12S3. Now I just need to decide on a car? Also, if I go with the 710, do you know of a good place to buy one and spare parts? Also wich parts usually get broken or nedd replacing often as I would like to make one big order because nobody locally will be carrying spare parts for this car. Also please list any hop ups that you think I need to change right away that will either make the car handle better or stronger. Thanks for your time and I hope to hear from you guys soon!
That's a whole lotta questions Rich ! Please be patient !

Have you seen the car in person? Have you seen the car on the track? If your LHS does not carry Serpent parts or that nobody drives one at your track, you can be in a little difficult situation. You can log on to rctech or to mytsn 24/7 but at the end of the day, you need support at the trackside.

As I mentioned earlier, all cars are about equal. The 710 having more tuning and adjustability features built onto it. So you cannot go wrong with either the 710 or the MTX-3.

Hop ups? You can get the 808220 Impact dogbones (2 sets) which are made of Hudy spring steel to replace the front and rear dogbones. Aluminum shock bodies 909410 front and 909411 rear. Front and rear PRO wheel axle cups 801214 (2 sets) to replace the existing ones. 9607 Race brake pads with 9606 venticalted disc. That's about it.

p/s: I hope you did not forget to buy a pipe for the engine. What radio will you be using?
Old 02-11-2004, 10:52 PM   #4255
Tech Elite

Quote:
There are some of us here already bought their front adjustable ball diffs. Part number is 802370.
Got Diff?...
crashed_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 10:53 PM   #4256
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by cyba888
For your transmitter batteries you charge at 1.5 volts? I thought Serpent batteries are only for your receiver?
You don't charge the Tx batteries (or any batteries for that matter) with volts. You charge them up with Amps...

1.5 Amps on the AA batteries are OK I think. But I rather err on the lower side and sacrifice a little longer charging time. I charge mine at max 1.0 Amps on my Sanyo 2100 mAH NiMH.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:12 PM   #4257
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27

Quote:
I've been gone for 30 or so pages...anyone want to kindly tell me if I missed anything important . hehe...that's a lot of reading!
30 pages goes pretty quick - probably only missed a day

Take a look back at Julius' post about tweaking - he told us why lifting is the only reliable method - the tweak boards/stations can give you the wrong information.
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 11:16 PM   #4258
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27

The wait for my 710 is killing me
In an attempt to distract myself, I've started to rebuild my 705. Did the front end last night - cleaned all the bearings with WD40 and then used a light oil to lubricate them. I also freed up the front suspension arms a little, they still seemed tight even after a year of driving - I ended up using a 3mm drill on all the holes where the metal rods go through - even the little sway bar arms got the treatment. Still seems a little tight, but much better than before.
Next comes the rear!
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 11:19 PM   #4259
Tech Elite

How long has the 710 been released for?
Old 02-11-2004, 11:27 PM   #4260
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Pinion Gear Aluminum Washer

Quote:
I think Julius also mentioned that there are no part numbers for this part. But I hear that our LHS will be trying to get a whole bunch of it because the batch that they ordered did not include this aluminum part. Perhaps you could bug your LHS to do the same with Serpent USA.
Got plenty of it :
SER-802511 Centax-3 Gear Pinion Shim.

This is a must spare on your box.

2 or 3 clutchbell with several pinion combinations will be more handy.
GoldFinger is offline   Reply With Quote