R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-18-2004, 09:51 PM   #3091
Tech Prophet

Default Re: can you post pics of your serpent 710 or email them to me at [email protected]

Quote:
Originally posted by baller360
please I really need this am a newbie to this forum if you guys can post pics of your serpent 710 I will appreciate it and what you think of the car so far in comparison with the v-one rr evo thanks!
Danny, here is mine (or at least when it was new).

As for comparisons, with the RR EVO, I think both cars are comparable. You can't go wrong with either cars. Just go with the car that you can get support trackside in terms of parts and technical support.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 10:02 PM   #3092
Tech Adept

thanks allot initialD I really appreciate it.
baller360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 10:03 PM   #3093
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyramid
Hi, I`m wondering how big is the recent Thailand track you race on? because I wonder why most of them still having understeer/push (front stabz remove). Less than 2.8m in field? That would have been really hard playing 1/8 with those maxxes (even alone)..
The one in Thailand was relatively huge and nice. With 62 mm tires and stock gearing, the engine tops out at the end of the straights.

Not many people take their front stabilzers out from what I know. Just Michael Salven did that. Of course that's personal preference. I tried his setup last weekend and there was tons of on power steering. I'm not used to that. The car is very twitchy and too wild for my liking. I think it's more of a driver problem than anything else !

His rear diff was set almost to lock. To get more turn in, I had to loosen the rear diff a little. Use 1 degree more toe in. A tad softer tires in the rear also cure the "oversteer" in the mid corner problem. Perhaps one hole piston difference in the shocks (harder front than rear) would also cure the "problem". I think I'll leave it back to the setup again but just use a lower roll center to see how the car handles. The rear rotates very easily.

On a smaller tighter and more technical track, I found that the setup worked perfect. Lots of turn in and very nimble and fast at changing directions.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:10 PM   #3094
Tech Adept

InitialD do the v-one rr and the serpent handle the same if not wich one handles the best. and do they use the same type of two speed transmission?
Old 01-18-2004, 10:19 PM   #3095
Tech Prophet

Quote:
InitialD do the v-one rr and the serpent handle the same if not wich one handles the best. and do they use the same type of two speed transmission?
I cannot comment first hand which handles better. From some of those people that post here, they have sold their MTX-3 (which handles about the same as the EVO) after trying the 710. I think that should speak volumes. But then if you're just starting out, best is to base your decission on availability of spares and local track support too and go from there.

Well, they don't have the same type of 2 speed transmission but I would say that they are of similar design. The 2 speed transmission on the 710 is lighter though. Better in terms of rotating mass even without having to buy additional hop ups. Both of them uses the newer finer pitch 0.8 module gearing (the EVO and not the RR). My 2 cents.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:25 PM   #3096
Tech Adept

what about in weight comparison? and can the serpent 710 shocks fit on the v-one rr evo?
Old 01-18-2004, 10:35 PM   #3097
Tech Adept

sorry for all the questions but just want to make a right choice here. this is the last question what do you think of the trinity g4 in comparison with the serpent 710?
Old 01-18-2004, 10:41 PM   #3098
Tech Prophet

Quote:
what about in weight comparison? and can the serpent 710 shocks fit on the v-one rr evo?
I am not too certain about the shocks as the shocks for the front and rear of the 710 are of different length.

Weight wise, the 710 is definitely lighter ! Serpent says that race ready (with bodyshell and tires but without fuel) is approx 1690 grams.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:43 PM   #3099
Tech Prophet

Quote:
sorry for all the questions but just want to make a right choice here. this is the last question what do you think of the trinity g4 in comparison with the serpent 710?
I think a few of the guys here have driven the G4 and the 710. (Pyramid and Sow&Steady, where are you guys? ) As I cannot comment on it, you'll have to wait for them to answer your question !
Old 01-18-2004, 11:28 PM   #3100
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by GoldFinger
This is exactly the hairpin is:
(we call it dinning plate corner)
You lucky guy! That's a really nice track and if your setup described earlier worked then I'm noting it down!

Thanks for posting it ... am salivating!
Sow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 11:32 PM   #3101
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
I think all of us in here prefer the 710 to anything. I prefer mine to anything and I have not even bolted an engine in it yet .
Old 01-18-2004, 11:39 PM   #3102
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
I think a few of the guys here have driven the G4 and the 710. (Pyramid and Sow&Steady, where are you guys? ) As I cannot comment on it, you'll have to wait for them to answer your question !
I own a G4 as well as the MTX3. I'd say the G4 is a heavier and less nimble than the MTX. Don't get me wrong though, the G4 handles quite well out of the box but I'd say the MTX is slightly better for small tracks while the G4 is better on larger ones.

The 710 is my preference over those two after my initial trials particularly because it has a larger "sweet spot". I've tried the car now on 2 tracks. One really tight and technical, meant for electrics and the other a medium large one where 1:8's regularly play. The last time I drove there I used the whole track and that is huge! At stock setup the 710 has no issues except the for the famous push.

The "book", if used together with the number of adjustments possible on the 710, will make it the car of choice bar none!
Sow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 11:54 PM   #3103
Tech Master

Quote:
Out of the box setup, G4 is the best handling car ever made til today... since all have just like that suspension geometry in general (to make the cars handle at your preferrences), S710 gets my votes for more availability/advance tuning, and low cost maintanance (I do not say easy maintanance as we all already know that is S710 one of its main purposes). The built quality also among the best. The EURO exhcange rate that is the problem for most of us outside europe. But hey, the snake is really getting much much more efficience now as I could see from the latest price list... good job.
Pyramid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 01:53 AM   #3104
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
I cannot comment first hand which handles better. From some of those people that post here, they have sold their MTX-3 (which handles about the same as the EVO) after trying the 710. I think that should speak volumes. But then if you're just starting out, best is to base your decission on availability of spares and local track support too and go from there.

Well, they don't have the same type of 2 speed transmission but I would say that they are of similar design. The 2 speed transmission on the 710 is lighter though. Better in terms of rotating mass even without having to buy additional hop ups. Both of them uses the newer finer pitch 0.8 module gearing (the EVO and not the RR). My 2 cents.
Speaking from personel experience, I have had V1R, NTC3, MTX3 and 710. So far the 710 has responded very well to all the changes i have made. Everything is nice and low and it does come apart relative easily....

One negative is the steering setup. As yet i have not been able to get it right. I am in the process of trying InitialD's mod, but still have to trim the radio to get the servo saver horn pointing straight a head

SN
S710_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 02:02 AM   #3105
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by S710_Nut
I am in the process of trying InitialD's mod, but still have to trim the radio to get the servo saver horn pointing straight a head
Corrections... Not my mod. Credit must go out to Goldfinger and Schrijver99 for finding it out first !

Just make sure at neutral steering position, the steering servo horn should be about 90 degrees with the steering linkage that you shortened !