R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-16-2005, 01:40 PM   #22726
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by vti-chris
Found the screw,i put it in tooooooo tight and then i broke the clamp and thought i broke something else too but i took it off last night and found the problem...

Thanks a lot for the help!!!
No problems ... glad I could help.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:59 PM   #22727
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vader
... But the advantage is late braking and good acceleration out of corners... It depends on your driving style...
If you like aggressive driving, then use a spool. But if your driving style is smoother style, then spool doesn't help. Generally if the track has a lot of hard braking into tight corners, try a spool. TIme your laps because sometimes a car looks fast but actually lap times are slower.

Don't forget to share the results of your testing here...
My experience is the same. The later braking is a mega benefit with a small track because the car gets to the next turn 1 or 2 secs after leaving the previous turn. With a one-way, that's a lot of off or mid-throttle coasting. Here the locked one-way can be beneficial.

With a spool I hadn't noticed the car was faster out of turn though. Techically this makes sense with all power divided between two wheels evenly the car should be quicker. But as Darth says, your lap time is all that counts. There are no points for how fast you or other racers perceive your car is going. Racing to the end of the straight and braking late sounds great but if the car isn't driving a tight line being fast on the on the big straight won't be enough to catch up to faster corner racers. In other words, even if you use the spool, you've still got to drive a tight line. So if the spool helps, good. If not, stick with the one-way.

Keep in mind that because of the two-wheel brake nature of the one-way, a racer is forced to brake earlier before making a turn so they tend to enter the corner a little slower and hence with a bit finer control. When you grab the inner line you not only are driving the shortest distance around the track you are also potentially cutting off anyone else who wants to pass you on the inside. Problem is some less experienced racers tend to merely let the car coast around the turn which makes for a comfortable drive but not a competative one. So whatever you use (spool or not), stay on that throttle.

Good luck.
going4#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 07:16 PM   #22728
jag
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by going4#1
My experience is the same. The later braking is a mega benefit with a small track because the car gets to the next turn 1 or 2 secs after leaving the previous turn. With a one-way, that's a lot of off or mid-throttle coasting. Here the locked one-way can be beneficial.

With a spool I hadn't noticed the car was faster out of turn though. Techically this makes sense with all power divided between two wheels evenly the car should be quicker. But as Darth says, your lap time is all that counts. There are no points for how fast you or other racers perceive your car is going. Racing to the end of the straight and braking late sounds great but if the car isn't driving a tight line being fast on the on the big straight won't be enough to catch up to faster corner racers. In other words, even if you use the spool, you've still got to drive a tight line. So if the spool helps, good. If not, stick with the one-way.

Keep in mind that because of the two-wheel brake nature of the one-way, a racer is forced to brake earlier before making a turn so they tend to enter the corner a little slower and hence with a bit finer control. When you grab the inner line you not only are driving the shortest distance around the track you are also potentially cutting off anyone else who wants to pass you on the inside. Problem is some less experienced racers tend to merely let the car coast around the turn which makes for a comfortable drive but not a competative one. So whatever you use (spool or not), stay on that throttle.

Good luck.
I agree completely. I felt like I spent too much time coasting (waiting) for the turn or blipping the throttle thru the infield where I should have been on the throttle. That is why I switched to the diff. Better drivers are able to go fast with a one-way at my track not using much brake... but not me. I am faster and more comfortable with good brakes. I don't know if the spool will be any better for me than the diff but it's worth a try. I'm sure there will be advantages and disadvantages but it's all about the lap times.

Thanks,
jag
jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 07:26 PM   #22729
jag
Tech Master

Default DRS Arms

Forgive me if this topic has already been discussed but I was wondering how many people have changed the attachment point for their DSR arms to the end of the hinge pin?

For those of you who are doing it, how did you do it and how do you like it?

Thanks,
jag
Old 12-19-2005, 05:24 AM   #22730
Tech Adept

Smile Novarossi RR12L5

Hi, I have a Novarossi RR12L5 that will like to change the complete piston & Sleeve part N 08661 or 08611, can any one knows where can I get this part I have not been able to find a store that will sell them.

Thanks

RCPANAMA
rcpanama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 06:10 AM   #22731
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag
Forgive me if this topic has already been discussed but I was wondering how many people have changed the attachment point for their DSR arms to the end of the hinge pin?

For those of you who are doing it, how did you do it and how do you like it?

Thanks,
jag
Jim...you'll need the front pin from the RRR. It has one end with an e-clip. The e-clip will secure the drs arm on the hinge pin. Then all you'll need is small spacer in between the drs and the lower rear block. Call me if you need more info.
JustRace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 06:53 AM   #22732
jag
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRace
Jim...you'll need the front pin from the RRR. It has one end with an e-clip. The e-clip will secure the drs arm on the hinge pin. Then all you'll need is small spacer in between the drs and the lower rear block. Call me if you need more info.
You have email.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:26 AM   #22733
Tech Adept

Default Rear caster

My rear camber is approching 5-6 degree, I think it may be too much. What is the first adjustment should be make to reduce camber? I'm thinking of raise the rear roll center or using harder spring and damping. Any idea?
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 10:15 AM   #22734
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRace
Which hinge pin from the RRR?
Old 12-19-2005, 11:15 AM   #22735
jag
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyU
Which hinge pin from the RRR?

Front lower... so I'm told.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:33 PM   #22736
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to suntok2 Send a message via AIM to suntok2 Send a message via Yahoo to suntok2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpanama
Hi, I have a Novarossi RR12L5 that will like to change the complete piston & Sleeve part N 08661 or 08611, can any one knows where can I get this part I have not been able to find a store that will sell them.

Thanks

RCPANAMA
www.dogboneind.com
suntok2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 09:43 AM   #22737
jag
Tech Master

Default Gear Diff

For those of you who are using the new rear gear diff, what is a good oil weight to start with? I'm setting the car up for Ft. Myers.

Thanks,
jag
Old 12-22-2005, 09:54 AM   #22738
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag
For those of you who are using the new rear gear diff, what is a good oil weight to start with? I'm setting the car up for Ft. Myers.

Thanks,
jag
I've been using 30000W (from Hudy) with good results.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:58 AM   #22739
jag
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius
I've been using 30000W (from Hudy) with good results.

Thanks Julius. That is what JustRace told me so I guess it must be right.

Would you go lighter for a smaller, tighter track?
Old 12-22-2005, 11:32 AM   #22740
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag
Thanks Julius. That is what JustRace told me so I guess it must be right.

Would you go lighter for a smaller, tighter track?
Only if I had problems with on throttle oversteer. But going too light can give funny handling. I had that when my prototype diff lost a few screws and the oil came out in Halifax.