R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-01-2005, 03:27 AM   #22681
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius
It could be you have a bit too much front camber. I like to see a slight cone to the rear tires and the fronts wearing almost flat (just a hint of a cone to the inside). If you have that I wouldn't worry about the edge too much.
Is 1mm ( tire wear between the outer and the inner ) a big cone for the rear ?
kannokbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 05:57 AM   #22682
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannokbee
Is 1mm ( tire wear between the outer and the inner ) a big cone for the rear ?
No that sounds about right.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:23 AM   #22683
jag
Tech Master

Tested the new chassis last night and the car was very good. The track wasn't very good but the car was. I would like just a little more "on power" steering. If I get on the gas too quick the car will want to make a wide turn. Other than that, the car is excellent. I was also breaking in a new ZX 12 and that thing was flying! I broke it in on the bench as described in the manual and ran 5 tanks last night and the thing was screaming. I kept richening it up to slow it down but it didn't like that at all. Did I mention that I put an RB carb on it? It ran great, started right up and never stalled.

Julius, I am running your rear roll center setup and a front diff. Any suggestions on the steering?

Thanks,
Jim
jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 07:37 AM   #22684
Tech Adept

Talking Finished!

Finally my 710 is finished!
I put the Mega ZX12, Mielke pipe, synth receiver and servo's on it, and now it's ready to roll.
Now I only need a starter box ....and some nice weather...

I also got a pre-painted Ford Falcon V8R body from Germany for only 4.95 which fits nicely...

I'll post a pic...not that it's so special but just because I'm happy it's finished....not so happy that I'll have to wait 3-4 months for nice weather...

Last edited by Ridder; 12-01-2005 at 07:59 AM. Reason: resize pic
Ridder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 08:29 AM   #22685
Tech Fanatic

If you're running the Mega ZX12 motor, the best pipe for that motor is the Picco Mega design for that motor... Other pipes will work, but for the best all around power... That's the pipe to use for that motor. The Mielke pipe is a great pipe, but it's best suited for Nova based motors and the OS TZ-12... The Mega ZX12 specs are alittle different and the best pipe like I said before was design for that motor is the Picco Mega pipe... Part number, I'm not sure of, but I'm sure someone here can post if for you or just got to the Mega Picco thread on the nitro motor side... Good luck. Oh, nice looking ride... :-)

RC_Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridder
Finally my 710 is finished!
I put the Mega ZX12, Mielke pipe, synth receiver and servo's on it, and now it's ready to roll.
Now I only need a starter box ....and some nice weather...

I also got a pre-painted Ford Falcon V8R body from Germany for only 4.95 which fits nicely...

I'll post a pic...not that it's so special but just because I'm happy it's finished....not so happy that I'll have to wait 3-4 months for nice weather...

rc_alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 08:31 AM   #22686
Tech Adept

Default RB carbie

@jag:
What carb did you put on?
I guess it's the one of your RB V12 Rody?
RB has 3 carbies: alloy,nylon and RODY mod...

I didn't run my ZX12 yet, and it would be nice to know how the standard carb performs compared to the RB one.....before I am gonna spend another $80......
Ridder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 10:51 AM   #22687
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag
Tested the new chassis last night and the car was very good. The track wasn't very good but the car was. I would like just a little more "on power" steering. If I get on the gas too quick the car will want to make a wide turn. Other than that, the car is excellent. I was also breaking in a new ZX 12 and that thing was flying! I broke it in on the bench as described in the manual and ran 5 tanks last night and the thing was screaming. I kept richening it up to slow it down but it didn't like that at all. Did I mention that I put an RB carb on it? It ran great, started right up and never stalled.

Julius, I am running your rear roll center setup and a front diff. Any suggestions on the steering?

Thanks,
Jim
More on power steering is easy. Just tighten the clamp on the rear diff a bit. Just tighten till you get the steering you want. Little by little
Old 12-01-2005, 11:50 AM   #22688
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27

Quote:
More on power steering is easy. Just tighten the clamp on the rear diff a bit. Just tighten till you get the steering you want. Little by little
Julius, could this make the rear a bit "snappy" when turning into a corner off power?

Cheers, Mark.
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 01:31 PM   #22689
jag
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridder
@jag:
What carb did you put on?
I guess it's the one of your RB V12 Rody?
RB has 3 carbies: alloy,nylon and RODY mod...

I didn't run my ZX12 yet, and it would be nice to know how the standard carb performs compared to the RB one.....before I am gonna spend another $80......

I used the carb from my old RB X12 5 port. It is aluminum without the removable restrictor... nothing fancy.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:35 PM   #22690
jag
Tech Master

Quote:

I'll give it a try. I have the rear diff pretty loose and the front tight. Would loosening the front produce the same result?
Old 12-01-2005, 02:21 PM   #22691
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp27
Julius, could this make the rear a bit "snappy" when turning into a corner off power?

Cheers, Mark.
Normally a tighter rear diff makes turn in a bit less. So that reaction would not be what I'd expect.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:22 PM   #22692
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag
I'll give it a try. I have the rear diff pretty loose and the front tight. Would loosening the front produce the same result?
It could. I would try tightening the rear first though. Unless you also suffer from turn in understeer, then a lighter front setting could be a better option.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:52 PM   #22693
jag
Tech Master

Quote:
It could. I would try tightening the rear first though. Unless you also suffer from turn in understeer, then a lighter front setting could be a better option.
How would you describe "turn in understeer"?

Thanks for your help Julius. I let a friend of mine drive my car last night (a factory X Ray driver) and he loved it. He said it was one of the best gas cars he has ever driven.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:25 PM   #22694
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27

Quote:
Normally a tighter rear diff makes turn in a bit less. So that reaction would not be what I'd expect.
Ok, thanks Julius.

Mark.
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 01:25 AM   #22695
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag
How would you describe "turn in understeer"?

Thanks for your help Julius. I let a friend of mine drive my car last night (a factory X Ray driver) and he loved it. He said it was one of the best gas cars he has ever driven.
Turn in understeer cause by a too tight front diff feels like the car goes straight on when turning in under braking. WHen you release the brake it turns in. Although this can also happen if you run too much brake.

In general turn in understeer is the effect that the car does not want to go into a corner off throttle. The stiffer the diffs are the more this can happen. But the extent depends on the rest of the setup.