R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-05-2005, 05:16 AM   #21946
Tech Adept

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius
@ rc panama:

I'd try using 37 shore rear too, or a 40 shore in front.
Use the rear roll center settings I described before: rear Lower top. Upper top inner.
I think you are using the different shores to get more even tire wear? If so you may want to try the 21t pulley with a 3mm split in tire size. Reset front downstop to 1.5mm lower than what you run now. I find it makes tha car more predictable and less prone to traction roll. But I must say it seems to be a personal choice [/url]
Thanks Julius, I have been trying to get the 21 Alu pulley foe almost four month without any look, The Border has it in back order I have even pre pay for two, Mushroom does not have it, I will weight until I can get one. You are right I do use the different shore to get an even tire wear. I will try using the rear lower, upper top inner.
rcpanama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 07:21 AM   #21947
jag
Tech Master

Quote:
Use a diff. As loose on the clamp as possible. If you go too loose you'll notice the back end will slide under power. Too tight and you'll not have enough steering into the corners.

Use a higher rear roll center. Bottom top and top-inner-upper.
Also the body makes a lot of difference. I'd try a losi alfa or a stratus 3 as they are easier to get round small corners than a mazda.

Thanks, Julius. I will try that setup this weekend (if it doesn't rain) and let you know how it works. I guess I have to build my front diff tonight.

One other question; the track has a few small bumps in this one section right before a 90 degree turn and if you try to accellerate thru there it tends to upset the car. Is there anything I can do to settle the car down without ruining the setup for the rest of the track? They prep the track with VHT and the traction is pretty good when in the groove (I have seen cars traction roll). I think 37's are the tire of choice (around 61mm) and I'm going to try red springs with 35 wt oil. I am running the stock rear sway bar and have the ride height at 5mm.

Thanks,
jag
jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 08:37 AM   #21948
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpanama
Thanks Julius, I have been trying to get the 21 Alu pulley foe almost four month without any look, The Border has it in back order I have even pre pay for two, Mushroom does not have it, I will weight until I can get one. You are right I do use the different shore to get an even tire wear. I will try using the rear lower, upper top inner.

My 2 lhs might be able to help you

www.promodelisme.com
www.rcc-power.ch

I picked up the 21 t pulley a couple weeks ago and I recall him saying he had a couple left keep in mind this would ship from switzerland

best, cedric
Benzoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 12:22 PM   #21949
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpanama
It's rear lower in the up position.! But I guess it was a typo
Old 08-05-2005, 12:23 PM   #21950
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag
Thanks, Julius. I will try that setup this weekend (if it doesn't rain) and let you know how it works. I guess I have to build my front diff tonight.

One other question; the track has a few small bumps in this one section right before a 90 degree turn and if you try to accellerate thru there it tends to upset the car. Is there anything I can do to settle the car down without ruining the setup for the rest of the track? They prep the track with VHT and the traction is pretty good when in the groove (I have seen cars traction roll). I think 37's are the tire of choice (around 61mm) and I'm going to try red springs with 35 wt oil. I am running the stock rear sway bar and have the ride height at 5mm.

Thanks,
jag
Experiment with the shocks a bit. Don't go too soft in damping. Rear downstop has an effect here too. More droop is usually better in the bumps but less good under braking. Compromise...
Old 08-05-2005, 12:47 PM   #21951
jag
Tech Master

Quote:
Experiment with the shocks a bit. Don't go too soft in damping. Rear downstop has an effect here too. More droop is usually better in the bumps but less good under braking. Compromise...
At what point have you started to see adverse effects on the droop? I have mine set at 1 front and 7 rear.

Do you think red springs and 35wt oil is too soft?
Old 08-05-2005, 02:04 PM   #21952
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramid
Before I forgot again, if you experiencing rx cover slightly hitting the ground (when cornering) after installing the new lowered CG chassis, here is one example on how to do it,

What did you use to trim down the top of the cover?
Greg M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 03:12 PM   #21953
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag
At what point have you started to see adverse effects on the droop? I have mine set at 1 front and 7 rear.

Do you think red springs and 35wt oil is too soft?
6mm seems to be close to minimum. I run between -1 and +1 in front. The -1 is mostly with the 21 pulley though.

Reds and 35 wt is not too soft. Probably with 3 holes will be fine.
You may want to try 40wt even. But do search for something that feels right for you and is good on the stopwatch!
Old 08-05-2005, 03:23 PM   #21954
Tech Regular

Location: The Milkyway/Planet Earth/Europe/Sweden/Skåne/Malmö

One quick question about oils, which is heavier (thicker), 30 wt or 40 wt?
Thanks!
New_Toasted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 03:25 PM   #21955
Tech Fanatic

Old 08-05-2005, 05:21 PM   #21956
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I had a spare receiver cover, so cut the whole middle section out only leaving the antenna mount and spacer. I've been able to lift the receiver up a good 1mm to ensure it doesn't scrap.
Greg M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 02:36 AM   #21957
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to _cyclops_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg M
I had a spare receiver cover, so cut the whole middle section out only leaving the antenna mount and spacer. I've been able to lift the receiver up a good 1mm to ensure it doesn't scrap.

i have the old sanwa receiver.. and in stead of mounting the plate under the carbon, i putted it on top, and screwed the screws from bottom to top...The mount i changed a lot, but that's the only way to fit it for me... (old sanwa!)
_cyclops_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 07:55 AM   #21958
jag
Tech Master

Quote:
6mm seems to be close to minimum. I run between -1 and +1 in front. The -1 is mostly with the 21 pulley though.

Reds and 35 wt is not too soft. Probably with 3 holes will be fine.
You may want to try 40wt even. But do search for something that feels right for you and is good on the stopwatch!
Thanks for the help. I did the front diff and the roll center change last night. It should be interesting... I have never deviated this far from the stock setup before. Is there anything else you think I should experiment with, like DRS?

Here is a pic of thet track I will be racing on. They are not quite finished with it yet but it's a really good facility. It used to be a roller hockey rink.

Thanks again Julius. I really appreciate your input.
jag
Attached Images

Last edited by jag; 08-06-2005 at 08:07 AM.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:40 AM   #21959
Tech Regular

Hey Jag...please email me the pic. Also directions. Hopefully we'll swing by the track. I'll give your car a test drive
JustRace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 08:41 AM   #21960
Tech Fanatic

I think this will be enough to try for one day
Actually I've made this rear roll center my default.
I'm positive you'll like it.