3 words... Dirty Old Man.
Well, I can't deny that
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 11:15 AM   #21197
Tech Prophet

Default Re: 710 cahssis

Quote:
Originally posted by ssscamaro
Will the serpent rear x brace in aluminum rectify this ??? It is not the tank or battery causing this ...dose it with only the upper plate being attached ??? Whats everyones thoughts ??? Thanks Ryan
Hi Ryan, like Justrace mentioned, the plastic X brace is said to be about 0.9 mm lower than it is suppose to be. Try putting some 0.9 mm worth of shims on each of those nylon protrusions on the X brace before mounting the CF radio tray onto it. See if this woudl solve the problem. If not, then something in the front is not correct or perhaps some plastic parts in the front section has buckled.

With the aluminum X brace, you should not have this problem.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 11:16 AM   #21198
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 710 chassis

Quote:
Originally posted by markp27
The english lessons I need still
Speaking like Yoda, you do...
Old 04-24-2005, 11:18 AM   #21199
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27

Talking about clutches, I think I may have eventually got to the bottom of my problem with blowing the metal shielded bearings.

I've been measuring the temp of the clutch bell as much as I have the engine temp and I found that my clutch was running at 65C with a 0.5mm gap and a 2mm pre-tension. If I run a whole day like this, I blow the bearings.

Today I decided to run a 0.8mm gap and 1.2mm pre-tesion - now the clutch bell temp is 48C and the bearings seem fine.

Maybe it is my driving technique but I can't explain why this only happens to me in any other way.

Certainly the car lept out of the corners ok, so the clutch setup seems to work ok for me.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:19 AM   #21200
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 710 chassis

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Speaking like Yoda, you do...
Who just so happens to construct his sentences like a German
Old 04-24-2005, 12:40 PM   #21201
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Brett.w quote:
Originally posted by Greg M
Just got back from the new Palmy track. Very tight and techincal, but a good flow. 2nd gear was set up to come in alot earlier and got some good pace, beating guys in the qualifiers who were out of reach with the CD3 I recently sold. An engine failing to start ruined it for the final. Can't wait to get back there for their club race day. The 710 deserves a good clean tomorrow

Hey Greg good to hear you are doing well how big is the track compared to yours? can you please post setup on mytsn.com
Same set up as you ran at Taranaki, no changes made but orange springs and I ran 37's all round. I tried harder springs, but went back to orange. No one changed their setup from Taranaki except for tyres, Daniel and Scott went to a 40 front, 35 rear. We were too busy enjoying the new track to worry about setup too much as no one had any adverse handling traits to get rid of.

Tracks alot smaller, Scott was in the 14sec bracket and I was in the 15's. I'll get a set up sheet done today to check I have mine the same as what you had it.
Greg M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 12:48 PM   #21202
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I also ran Stock Touring (Silver can 540) and won every race, won the final by 1.5 laps against a full field. Was really happy with result, a full 1sec a lap quicker then everyone else. The Yokomo was great, I guess thats what happens when you finally do some work on it and give it a clean up for the first time in 6 months I had people looking at the car to see why it was so fast, someone even mentioned an illegal motor, but it was one from the stock pile my club had left over from the Nationals
Greg M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 12:56 PM   #21203
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 710 chassis

Quote:
Who just so happens to construct his sentences like a German
So you're saying Yoda is German? That's good news for me then.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:59 PM   #21204
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 710 chassis

Quote:
So you're saying Yoda is German? That's good news for me then.
Probably, on both accounts

Hey what do I see below here - you've updated your sig
Old 04-24-2005, 01:00 PM   #21205
Tech Prophet

Quote:
I've been measuring the temp of the clutch bell as much as I have the engine temp and I found that my clutch was running at 65C with a 0.5mm gap and a 2mm pre-tension. If I run a whole day like this, I blow the bearings.
Ok, ever since I took the grub screws out of the flyweights and ran it just with them mounted in between the pins, I run about 1.5 mm pre-tension and 0.5 mm clutch gap instead of 2 mm clutch gap with the grub screws. Never had a problem with bearing at either setting.

Perhaps with 2 mm pre-tension, your clutch is slipping a lot? Which would explain the temp increase...
Old 04-24-2005, 01:02 PM   #21206
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 710 chassis

Quote:
Hey what do I see below here - you've updated your sig
Bro, I've had that for about more than a month already... Perhaps you do need to get your own microscope. Sharing with Onkel Sow is not such a good idea since both you guys need it full time now.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:04 PM   #21207
Tech Prophet

Forgot to mention that for wider open tracks where traction is available, I use larger clutch gaps like 0.7 mm or more. Tracks where I need more throttle control or where the layout is tighter, I tend to use less clutch gap like 0.5 mm or so.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:07 PM   #21208
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 710 chassis

Quote:
Thanks only for the word? You should thank Onkel Sow first then for the English lesson.
Yeah, yeah, yeah ... I've entered your Engrish term in the 3Hobby Encyclopedia OK?

Hopefully some other old men (read: distinguished) won't make the same mistakes with terms.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:59 PM   #21209
Tech Elite

Quote:
Ok, ever since I took the grub screws out of the flyweights and ran it just with them mounted in between the pins, I run about 1.5 mm pre-tension and 0.5 mm clutch gap instead of 2 mm clutch gap with the grub screws. Never had a problem with bearing at either setting.

Perhaps with 2 mm pre-tension, your clutch is slipping a lot? Which would explain the temp increase...
That would explain it, but the clutch definately didn't slip and I have always had these problems even with standard flyweights and 1mm pre-tension aswell as 1.5mm and 2.0.
So the reason for going for a larger clutch gap - either my calipers are totally rubish and don't measure accurately or my driving style demands a different clutch setup to everyone else.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:01 PM   #21210
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 710 chassis

Quote:
Originally posted by Sow&Steady
Hopefully some other old men (read: distinguished) won't make the same mistakes with terms.
Good word, Sow - put it in the encyclowhats-it, too - especially distinguished are those distinguished gentlemen with young GFs