R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-23-2005, 09:32 AM   #21166
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default 710 cahssis

I was replacing what i thought was a bent chassis on my 710. The new chassis is completey flat when checked with machinist straight edge.. whan car is assembled with upper plate the chassis bows from front to back a considerable amount ...i checked old chassis i thought was bent ...it is flat when not on car !! Went as far as putting old chassis back on car ...same situation ...when upper radio plate is fastened down it bends the car . I have no afermarket or serpent upgrades on car. Was curious if others have this problem. or is this what serpent intended ??? Is it supposed to be this way ?? Will the serpent rear x brace in aluminum rectify this ??? It is not the tank or battery causing this ...dose it with only the upper plate being attached ??? Whats everyones thoughts ??? Thanks Ryan
ssscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 10:27 AM   #21167
Tech Elite

Default Re: 710 cahssis

Quote:
Originally posted by ssscamaro
I was replacing what i thought was a bent chassis on my 710. The new chassis is completey flat when checked with machinist straight edge.. whan car is assembled with upper plate the chassis bows from front to back a considerable amount ...i checked old chassis i thought was bent ...it is flat when not on car !! Went as far as putting old chassis back on car ...same situation ...when upper radio plate is fastened down it bends the car . I have no afermarket or serpent upgrades on car. Was curious if others have this problem. or is this what serpent intended ??? Is it supposed to be this way ?? Will the serpent rear x brace in aluminum rectify this ??? It is not the tank or battery causing this ...dose it with only the upper plate being attached ??? Whats everyones thoughts ??? Thanks Ryan

i dun have a 710,but i think u should try replacing the upper deck .might solve it.but im no pro when it comes to 710
ntc3freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 11:39 AM   #21168
Tech Elite

Default Re: 710 cahssis

Quote:
Difficult to say without looking at it but you need to check that every bulkhead has been fitted with the "locators" nicely fitting into every hole on the chassis. I'm assuming that this is not a brand new car so you need to check that none of the carbon braces are damaged.

Go through every part of the car including the upper deck. It should be NOT bowing the chassis as you described.

Last edited by Sow&Steady; 04-23-2005 at 03:39 PM.
Sow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 11:48 AM   #21169
Tech Apprentice

I need help

today I ran my 710 for the first time this year and when I started it up and hit the gas the car did not move, so I kept hitting the gas but the car stayed in place as the engine was reving high. I then looked at the clutch and gears and they were moving but the wheels would not ingage, after a few second I heard a loud click and the car started moving, 2 minutes later it did it again for a few seconds, then it started moving again, then I noticed loud clicks when shifting that I never heard before, I then took the two speed out to check the oneway and I could not turn it with my hand, so it appears to be working, could it be for some reason it sticking in second, but if it was shouldnt the car move slow? does anyone have any ideas I would appreciate it
rcjayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 01:07 PM   #21170
Tech Apprentice

Default 710 chassis

There are no broken parts ...car is meticuously assembled and maintained... its almost like the rear cross bace is to short. When you tighten the 2 screws on top of upper deck that go into the rear cross brace there is actually some space between the radio plate bottom and the front bulkhead area ... and yes the correct number of spacers are present for role center adjustments. Does anyone have a stock plastic x brace (step 6.5 in instructions,part #802135) that they can measure for me ??? and possibly the aluminum replacement from serpent for this that you could measure and compare for me ?? I did also confirm that the graphite top plate is flat and not warped .... and yes all parts are correctly engaged in there receiving holes . Any help appreciated ... i ordered a new xbrace today so if no one replies i will tell my findings . Some one else out there have a nice straight edge ( machinists straight edge 24" is what i use) that they can put along bottom of there chassis ???? I have been informed that this may be normal for this car ?? Sounds pretty odd to have a perfectly flat chassi tweeked by the upper deck on purpose .
Ryan
Old 04-23-2005, 01:09 PM   #21171
Tech Apprentice

Default 710 chassis

sowandsteady , did you mean to say the upper deck SHOULD be bowing the chassis??? or was that a misprint ??
Ryan
Old 04-23-2005, 02:04 PM   #21172
Tech Regular

Default Re: 710 chassis

Quote:
There are no broken parts ...car is meticuously assembled and maintained... its almost like the rear cross bace is to short.
Ryan
Ryan...The stock plastic X brace is shorter by 1mm. If you get the aluminum X brace it will be the correct height.
JustRace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 03:04 PM   #21173
Tech Apprentice

Default 710 chassis

Justrace,
Awesome !! Thats what i was hoping to here ...Thanks For info !!
Ryan
Old 04-23-2005, 03:38 PM   #21174
Tech Elite

Default Re: 710 chassis

Quote:
sowandsteady , did you mean to say the upper deck SHOULD be bowing the chassis??? or was that a misprint ??
Ryan
Ooops! I'll go check ... probably a mispirnt.
Old 04-23-2005, 03:41 PM   #21175
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: 710 chassis

Quote:
Originally posted by JustRace
Ryan...The stock plastic X brace is shorter by 1mm. If you get the aluminum X brace it will be the correct height.
I guess you learn something every day! I never knew that.
Old 04-23-2005, 03:45 PM   #21176
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: droop

Quote:
Originally posted by ntc3freak
thanks d.i will look into the manual a little later on.just imagining of having the car

Do you do that in bed alone or at the track watching how fast the 710s go?

Stop imagining, buy it now, sell that NTC3 later or better still, donate it to the vertical filing cabinet (office speak for thrash can).
Old 04-23-2005, 04:34 PM   #21177
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by rcjayy
I need help

today I ran my 710 for the first time this year and when I started it up and hit the gas the car did not move, so I kept hitting the gas but the car stayed in place as the engine was reving high. I then looked at the clutch and gears and they were moving but the wheels would not ingage, after a few second I heard a loud click and the car started moving, 2 minutes later it did it again for a few seconds, then it started moving again, then I noticed loud clicks when shifting that I never heard before, I then took the two speed out to check the oneway and I could not turn it with my hand, so it appears to be working, could it be for some reason it sticking in second, but if it was shouldnt the car move slow? does anyone have any ideas I would appreciate it
Definately sounds like the one-way bearing is slipping. Remove the gearbox and pour a little fuel around the one-way. Try the car and if it runs fine then the one-way bearing needs replaced.

If not the one-way bearing it could be the shoe or weights in the clutch are badly worn and are not engaging properly.
teammpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 05:04 PM   #21178
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: Re: 710 chassis

Quote:
Originally posted by Sow&Steady
I guess you learn something every day! I never knew that.
Sow....time to increase the power on the glasses Just figured I would say it before Smooth gets a chance.

Smooth...you've been awfully quite lately. GF must have you rollerblading all over Europe
JustRace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 09:20 PM   #21179
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: droop

Quote:
Originally posted by Sow&Steady

Do you do that in bed alone or at the track watching how fast the 710s go?

Stop imagining, buy it now, sell that NTC3 later or better still, donate it to the vertical filing cabinet (office speak for thrash can).

honestly,both hmmm.maybe borrow my dad's money 1st and when i sold the car,pay him back.nice idea sow.wait for my birthday lah.24th of may only.so if anyone wants to donate hudy tools,starter box,exhaust,u can do so j/k
ntc3freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 12:52 AM   #21180
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: 710 chassis

Quote:
Originally posted by JustRace
Sow....time to increase the power on the glasses Just figured I would say it before Smooth gets a chance.

Smooth...you've been awfully quite lately. GF must have you rollerblading all over Europe
It's tiring rollerblading here and there

Well, to be honest, I was trying to sort out my motor problems from my last race. Now I've tried my JP Palmaris with a head clearence (thanks for the word D! ) of 0.4mm, it goes like a rocket ship.
Yesterday I was playing around with the handling of the 710 and now I've got it perfect - just a touch of oversteer on throttle to flick the rear-end around.
Having said that, the next race is on a very fast flowing circuit, so I should really need the oversteer kick.

Cheers, Mark.
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote