Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 08:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The newer kits do not have the updated rear shock tower and the rear lower arms.

ok,

so the only difference in the clutch tool , the pinion tool, and the extra pistons?
Old 01-06-2005, 09:08 PM
Tech Addict

Default Re: Re: Tires

Originally posted by InitialD
Brett, how are you? Smaller tires always work better for the car when you're running on smooth and flat tracks. That's a general statement.

Do you constantly reset the ride height and maintain the same ride height everytime?

Doing that when you use smaller tires at a particular ride height would give you less front and rear droop as compared to running bigger tires with the same ride height. Less droop in the front and rear is usually better for smoother and high traction track. It makes the car roll less and makes the car more responsive.
Hi D iam very well thanks hope you are too, we have a very smooth,flat track i am running 6mm ride height, 2 droop front and 7 on the rear is this about right for a smooth flat track?
Old 01-06-2005, 09:15 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Profoxcg
ok,

so the only difference in the clutch tool , the pinion tool, and the extra pistons?
The Pinion tool is always given from the start. The clutch tool that is given in the newer kit looks like this while the gear tool that looks like this is also given.

Not to be confused with the clutch housing holder which is like this and not included in any kit.

If I'm not mistaken, it was mentioned by somebody at 3Hobby that the new longer optional servo saver is also included in the newer batch 710 kit.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:22 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Tires

Originally posted by Brett.w
Hi D iam very well thanks hope you are too, we have a very smooth,flat track i am running 6mm ride height, 2 droop front and 7 on the rear is this about right for a smooth flat track?
Yes, I'm fine. Looking forward to Thailand next week. You mentioned that your Nats is also coming up around the corner...

Yup, for a flat and smooth track, the values on the droop gauge are about right... You're using lock shaft / front diff in the front?

For 5 minute heats, you can use smaller tires like 58 to 60 mm. For longer mains, you can opt for slightly larger tires to compensate for the tire wear.

About how much does the front / rear tires wear in 5 minutes?

What pinion / spur combo are you using with what diameter tires? Have you found a particular tire diameter / gear combo that works right and sufficient on your track?

Does the engine peak at the end of the longest straight or way before the end? Or is the car overgeared that you find the track too short?
Old 01-06-2005, 09:31 PM
Tech Addict

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Tires

Yes, I'm fine. Looking forward to Thailand next week. You mentioned that your Nats is also coming up around the corner...

Yup, for a flat and smooth track, the values on the droop gauge are about right... You're using lock shaft / front diff in the front?

For 5 minute heats, you can use smaller tires like 58 to 60 mm. For longer mains, you can opt for slightly larger tires to compensate for the tire wear.

About how much does the front / rear tires wear in 5 minutes?

What pinion / spur combo are you using with what diameter tires? Have you found a particular tire diameter / gear combo that works right and sufficient on your track?

Does the engine peak at the end of the longest straight or way before the end? Or is the car overgeared that you find the track too short?
Tyre wear isnt that bad apart from the right tire wear more than the left and i go through 2 pairs of rear for one front. the gearing is stock and seems to be fine with a new set of tires
Old 01-06-2005, 09:45 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tires

Tyre wear isnt that bad apart from the right tire wear more than the left and i go through 2 pairs of rear for one front. the gearing is stock and seems to be fine with a new set of tires
With stock gearing (22/56) and out of the box tires (65 mm), you're using 42.785 mm tire rollout per engine revolution. Are you sure your track is this big? You will not drive fast if your engine is overgeared and not taken full advantage of the powerband.

What about with other tire diameters you're tried with stock gearing? What are they? Does the engine seem to have enough breath for the longest straight?

If your track is indeed that long, when you use smaller tires, you will get smaller tire rollout and you need to compensate that with higher gearing.

Say if you use 60 mm tires, you need to gear up to 23/55 to get about the same tire rollout (42.04 mm) as previously with new tires.

For uneven tire wear, try to use one shore harder tire on the right side if you're going for longer mains. See how the car handles.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:47 PM

Default Re: Tires

Just a quicky! My car handles well on new tyres (run in) but when they get realy low my car handles GREAT i mean it seems to hold the sweepers extreamly well and there is so much on power steering, i love it!
Sorry to interrupt, based on your info: 2 rears vs 1 front in consumption.. under/over drive from current setup is one of definite answer to your great handling car when tires are low..
Old 01-06-2005, 09:52 PM
Tech Master

ok thanks D,

so as far as the a stonger front bumper and rear shock tower and longer rear arms, those are not included ?

thanks
Old 01-06-2005, 09:57 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Profoxcg
so as far as the a stonger front bumper and rear shock tower and longer rear arms, those are not included ?
I believe only the stronger front upper and lower bumper is included.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:14 PM
Tech Master

I believe only the stronger front upper and lower bumper is included.
Well this is what I got different from my fist kit that I bought dec 2003

Purple hose,
black fly wheel,
stronger bumper top plate, (I was a bevel and I think the original did not) and bottom

Im not sure about the shock tower, but it seems a little ticker compare to the deck.

anyway, the tools arent a big deal, and I think they got "stolen" from my kit.

and Im not worried about the extra pistons.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:34 AM
Tech Addict

Default Re: Re: Tires

Originally posted by Pyramid
Sorry to interrupt, based on your info: 2 rears vs 1 front in consumption.. under/over drive from current setup is one of definite answer to your great handling car when tires are low..
Is this a good or bad thing?
Old 01-07-2005, 12:37 AM
Tech Addict

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tires

With stock gearing (22/56) and out of the box tires (65 mm), you're using 42.785 mm tire rollout per engine revolution. Are you sure your track is this big? You will not drive fast if your engine is overgeared and not taken full advantage of the powerband.

What about with other tire diameters you're tried with stock gearing? What are they? Does the engine seem to have enough breath for the longest straight?

If your track is indeed that long, when you use smaller tires, you will get smaller tire rollout and you need to compensate that with higher gearing.

Say if you use 60 mm tires, you need to gear up to 23/55 to get about the same tire rollout (42.04 mm) as previously with new tires.

For uneven tire wear, try to use one shore harder tire on the right side if you're going for longer mains. See how the car handles.
The track is not long but my engine still seems quick, maybe this is due to the small tyres?
Old 01-07-2005, 12:43 AM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tires

The track is not long but my engine still seems quick, maybe this is due to the small tyres?
Smaller tires give you better acceleration and not to mention better handling.

It seems like when you use bigger tires, you could drop to like 21/55 or 21/56 gearing. Try it. You probably turn faster laps.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:50 AM
Tech Addict

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tires

Smaller tires give you better acceleration and not to mention better handling.

It seems like when you use bigger tires, you could drop to like 21/55 or 21/56 gearing. Try it. You probably turn faster laps.
Thanks for the tip i will try as soon as the rain leaves our shores
Old 01-07-2005, 12:50 AM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Tires

Is this a good or bad thing?
Pyramid is suggesting you to run slightly bigger rear tires than front to compensate for the faster rear tire wear. But that would sometimes give you an oversteer car on power because of the rear wheels pushing the front on power.

To circumvent this, there is another way described below which is what Pyramid and Goldfinger is currently using which is to use 46T Serpent 705 rear diff pulley (stock 710 is 45T). This would give you some front overdrive (front tire rollout more than rear tire rollout). To get back the same front and rear tire rollout, you use about 2 to 3 mm smaller front tires (or 2 or 3 mm bigger rear tires) to get the same front and rear tire rollout. This is exactly what is done on the 1/8th scale.

By doing this, your rear tires will somehow wear about the same rate as the front (always about 2 or 3 mm difference in diameter most of the time) so that you can get the car to handle the same in a long main.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.