Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 710

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 06:24 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Aluminum Pulleys

Originally posted by InitialD
Like Onkel Sow sez, a glitch is the Matrix.
Sometimes I observe in silence at the instruction of Morpheus tweaking the matrix here and there to keep everyone in line.

Good point about the drag brake but sometimes, like Julius says, you drive it the way it is and see. One of these days when you go to the track try running really large rears and really small fronts and then vice versa. Then after a few tanks think about how it felt ... that'll be enough to even confuse a prophet!
Old 10-27-2004, 01:24 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Aluminum Pulleys

I never knew that the drag would happen on an overdriven car much less with oneway front ! I know that on 4WD cars there will be a drag but the weight transfer explanation about this and causing oversteer is excellent. Thanks Julius.

Another spin off question... So using overdriven front from the 21T pulley with equal front and rear tires would give the car somewhat like a drag brake effect? No?
The point I tried to make is that the drag happens equal on one-way and solid/diff front axle cars. When you have a front overdrive the one way will be engaged all the time. Either by being drive by the engine with the rears wanting to spin faster than the fron, or without engine power where still the rears want to spin faster (or the fronts slower).

With rear overdrive there would be a difference because the the frons are spinning faster than rear so the one-way disengages. In this example the one-way will only lock if the rea loses tracktion and are spinning faster than the fronts....

Your second assumption is correct. The whole drivetrain will have much more resistance because both sides of the car want to run at different speeds.

Some Mugen runners use the optional overdrive set. Often it is used to create a more even tire wear. They start out with smae size tires and the wear is more equal. What they often fail to realize is that they are running close to the same overdrive as would occur with the stock pulleys and bigger front than rear tires. So instead of using different pulleys they couls also just sart with bigger front than rear tires. In that case the split would not get bigger either (it just looks bad!).
Old 10-27-2004, 02:07 PM
jag
Tech Master

Default Dynamic rear steering

I'm a little confused... I don't know if I should be using the DRS and if I am, how should I set it up? I run on small'ish technical tracks (150' x 80'). I have been running the car with the default settings and trying to adjust it from there but if I should be using the DRS will that cause me to change the other settings to a new "default"?

Thanks
Old 10-27-2004, 04:14 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Dynamic rear steering

Originally posted by jag
I'm a little confused... I don't know if I should be using the DRS and if I am, how should I set it up? I run on small'ish technical tracks (150' x 80'). I have been running the car with the default settings and trying to adjust it from there but if I should be using the DRS will that cause me to change the other settings to a new "default"?

Thanks
Jag, 150' translates roughly to 50m length which isn't that small. More importantly is what the layout is like in the infield. Highly technical infields may require very small turning radius yet others may require quick changes in direction of the car and yet others still may require fast cornering speeds. If you know what is required then it will help a lot with what setup you're looking for.

What is it about the car's handling that you're not happy with when using the default DRS?

If you change the DRS I don't think there is such a things as a new default for the other settings. It will all depend on how the car handles after you've change the DRS setting.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:22 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Aluminum Pulleys

Originally posted by Sow&Steady
You're really losing the prophet edge now ... prophets should not need to predict ... they just KNOW.
True. Then I'm a false prophet then...
Old 10-27-2004, 07:24 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gear Diff

Originally posted by Sow&Steady
Isn't a prophet supposed to be above all imperfections on earth?
Prophets are humans after all...
Old 10-27-2004, 07:38 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Aluminum Pulleys

Originally posted by Julius
What they often fail to realize is that they are running close to the same overdrive as would occur with the stock pulleys and bigger front than rear tires.
Agree with you.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default External Fuel Filter ?

Does anyone here use an external fuel filter ? Can the filter cause the engine to run hectic ? Meaning with filter, the engine tends to run a little hotter, without the filter the engine is cooler, all that with the same needle settings.

The filter I've been running is the one from Serpent and I clean it up once every gallon or so.

Everytime I open up the filter, there are always some dirts trapped in it. So I guess running without one isn't a good option. Until yesterday when I was breaking in the new engine, I had to turn the upper needle all the way out to get around 140sF engine temp, that was with the filter.

Without the filter, the engine was hard to start since it was too rich, so I screwed in the upper needle a few times until it just flushed and the engine temp was back to 140s.

So, was it the filter ?
Old 10-27-2004, 10:12 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: External Fuel Filter ?

Originally posted by redsand
So, was it the filter ?
I guess so. Putting a filter is like putting a restrictor to restrict flow. Less fuel goes in and therefore you need more fuel on the carb (rich setting) to balance it out.

BTW, does your tank come with a bronze sintered internal filter or is the internal filter white in colour?
Old 10-27-2004, 10:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: External Fuel Filter ?

I guess so. Putting a filter is like putting a restrictor to restrict flow. Less fuel goes in and therefore you need more fuel on the carb (rich setting) to balance it out.

BTW, does your tank come with a bronze sintered internal filter or is the internal filter white in colour?
Mine is still the older version, which has a white color filter in it.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:44 PM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: External Fuel Filter ?

I notice the bronze filter does a better job filtering seeing that very little to no dirt found on my external filter.

If you can get hold of somebody's tank with the bronze sintered filter, perhaps you can try it out and see if you get the same problems with / without the external filter on.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Re: External Fuel Filter ?

Its time to rejuvenate
Old 10-27-2004, 11:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Aluminum Pulleys

Originally posted by Pyramid
Am I the only one that do not understand what you are saying or there isn't any answer to your question?
There is a car with overdriven pulley config, lets say 1.1 : 1 (front to rear) And the front wheel is smaller diameter than rear.
So it create same front and rear tire rollout.

When the car rolling, is it still have an overdrive effect ?
Old 10-28-2004, 12:02 AM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Aluminum Pulleys

Originally posted by GoldFinger
When the car rolling, is it still have an overdrive effect ?
If that's the case, then the car will NOT have overdrive effect since the front and rear tire rollout is the same off and on throttle.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:34 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Aluminum Pulleys

If that's the case, then the car will NOT have overdrive effect since the front and rear tire rollout is the same off and on throttle.
Ok ... good ..let me know once you have finalize it .. So I just follow and use ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.