R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Engine ? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/270689-engine.html)

vladconnery 01-26-2009 02:09 PM

Engine ?

This is not a what's the best engine? I have just gotten an mxr3. I know it's not the newest but I am an offroad guy. Looking to dabble in onroad (that's what we all say in the beginning).

My question is I see allot of different onroad engines as in .12 .18 .21. First question is what engine is for this particular car. second question is what is the ummmm difference in the engines as far as performance. You know us offroad guys basically it's a .21 and that's it. Just pick your brand break it in and go. do you guys get into ports count like we do? I also see $700 engines what's with that.

HHHHHelp!!!!

wingracer 01-26-2009 02:12 PM

First of all, you need a .21. If you are just going to be playing around with the car I would go with one of the cheaper good engines. Either a Picco or one of the cheaper Novarossi models should do you nicely.

vladconnery 01-26-2009 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by wingracer (Post 5344865)
First of all, you need a .21. If you are just going to be playing around with the car I would go with one of the cheaper good engines. Either a Picco or one of the cheaper Novarossi models should do you nicely.

HAHA wing why did I know I could count on you. for some info thanks. Actually I have been running a picco based trinity Draked edition lately. loved it so much I bought two more. However you know I love my RB's but a xenon :eek: thats way to much. Any other good choices by RB?

wingracer 01-26-2009 02:41 PM

C6. Great Nova based motor.

wingracer 01-26-2009 02:42 PM

I'm curious, do you have any place to race it in Charlotte?

vladconnery 01-26-2009 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by wingracer (Post 5345013)
I'm curious, do you have any place to race it in Charlotte?

Nope, They basically run the Inferno GT class and the 1/10th class's around here. I always wanted an onroad car got this MRX3 for $60. Can't wait to run it. Wish there was a track here. Which I don't understand this is the home of Nascar I live 5 miles from the speedway. We got allot of offroad tracks though and I do mean allot.:nod:. I live 15 mins from The Farm.

wingracer 01-26-2009 02:57 PM

Well, if you get it running and feel like a road trip cruise up to Richmond, VA sometime.

vladconnery 01-26-2009 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by wingracer (Post 5345094)
Well, if you get it running and feel like a road trip cruise up to Richmond, VA sometime.

LOL your in Richmond I always thought you were on the west coast somewhere. You know I'm from Roanoke lived in Manassas for a while too.

wingracer 01-26-2009 03:41 PM

I have family In Pulaski, just south south of Roanoke.

Check out www.vorra.org if you feel like a road trip.

vladconnery 01-26-2009 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by wingracer (Post 5345299)
I have family In Pulaski, just south south of Roanoke.

Check out www.vorra.org if you feel like a road trip.

Wowww nice you guys just setup in any parking lot or you ave a specific place you use on a regular. Big Cudo's for having Big Ben Wallace racing at your track. Yeah looks like a road trip is in the works. You think my out of date mrx3 will be able to be competitive. Looks like you guys are really organized nice web site as well.

wingracer 01-26-2009 03:55 PM

We used to race in a parking lot out front of a hobby shop. When they closed we moved to a Sports Park that was kind enough to let us in. It's a really nice place to race. Great food too.

As for basketball stars racing with us, Chris Whitney comes down from time to time when he's not running his own track at 301.

vladconnery 01-26-2009 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by wingracer (Post 5345366)
We used to race in a parking lot out front of a hobby shop. When they closed we moved to a Sports Park that was kind enough to let us in. It's a really nice place to race. Great food too.

As for basketball stars racing with us, Chris Whitney comes down from time to time when he's not running his own track at 301.

Sounds like you guys really have it together. Would be nice to put something like that together here interested in checking out your set up and seeing how I could mirror a similar operation in NC.

wingracer 01-26-2009 04:03 PM

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that the MRX-3 is still very competitive for parking lot racing. Might be a bit outclassed at a big permanent track like 301 (though not by much) but more than capable of winning with the right set-up and driver.

vladconnery 01-26-2009 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by wingracer (Post 5345406)
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that the MRX-3 is still very competitive for parking lot racing. Might be a bit outclassed at a big permanent track like 301 (though not by much) but more than capable of winning with the right set-up and driver.

Well the driver would probably be a problem let me get it running. I'll let you know how it goes I know you can give me some tips.

JetMD 01-26-2009 05:28 PM

Come on up to Richmond any time. We get the occasional traveler at our track and usually they enjoy racing with us. We are pretty relaxed compared to some tracks i've been to. We take our big races seriously like regionals or rc pro series races but our club races are pretty chill. I have an old mrx4 I race sometimes and I do okay with it. I think the 3 would still do just fine at our track. We've actually got a few guys that picked up their first 1/8 this winter so our 1/8 turn-out should be better this year. Looking forward to running it for my second season. Take it easy and see you in richmond sometime.
Paul (VORRA club secretary):D

Oh, and as far as your engine question, I really think the picco .21 would be a great motor. If I didn't have a JP with new parts, I would pick one of them up. I saw one run at 301 and they are very strong and reliable and the mileage was unbelievable even for 301. The Picco was hands down, best mileage motor I saw up there.