Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Novarossi glow plugs ???? >

Novarossi glow plugs ????

Novarossi glow plugs ????

Old 03-23-2009, 12:33 AM
Tech Adept

Default Novarossi glow plugs ????

I am new to the hobby and it seems that novarossi glow plugs have very many choices to pick from can anyone explain this to me and if so is there a chart out here so i can understand thanks btw i just bought a (murnan modified novarossi .12 sct )
Old 03-23-2009, 01:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

well im not running a Murnan but i got a 3SCT - Tuned and im running C7TF but gonna order some C7TFC (i think) they are the Ultra Version. just a better Quality plug. the 7 runs a bit cooler so u can lean it out a bit more and gain more top end

Mitchell
Old 03-23-2009, 07:08 AM
Tech Regular

there is no glow plug named 7TFC

the number(5,6,7,8)/turbo(T)/gold(G) or not/cald(hot)(C) or freda(cold)(F)
a lot of combinations can be made
Old 03-23-2009, 07:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I think the .12 motors like hotter plugs, number 6 and 5. The shorter and longer body plugs will change the compression ratio of the motor slightly. I run 21 and generally stick with #7 plugs. Do a bit of research or ask Grinder what the best plug and head clearence is for that motor, two small things that will make a big diff.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:17 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for all the help but i still do not under stand all the codes of the plugs and when to use what plug in what type of condition????
Old 03-23-2009, 10:29 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

http://www.outlawrc.com/glowplugs.htm
Old 03-23-2009, 11:52 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wmay11
I think the .12 motors like hotter plugs, number 6 and 5. The shorter and longer body plugs will change the compression ratio of the motor slightly. I run 21 and generally stick with #7 plugs. Do a bit of research or ask Grinder what the best plug and head clearence is for that motor, two small things that will make a big diff.
They will not change compression at all. These are not like standard plugs. The turbos fit flush regardless of body length. The only difference is that long body plugs seem to retain a bit more heat giving a bit better idle for some conditions. They act like a slightly hotter plug.

For .12's I usually use 5's and 6's for the average short track. A monster 301 style track might prefer a 7.

Edit: Actually now that I think about it, the longer bodied plugs probably have a deeper hole so they might cause a very slight drop in compression, unlike standards where a longer body means the plug is deeper in the head and therefore slightly raises compression. I'll have to yank some elements out of some old plugs and check.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:37 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

the long/short plug part is up top, not the inside the engine, so no compression change
Old 03-23-2009, 02:27 PM
ALG
Tech Regular

Go with the 6F and if you are eating that plug go with the 7F, as said before, only on MONSTER tracks go with the 7,

have fun and I forget, run with 16% nitro, more is just waste of money

ALG
Old 03-23-2009, 04:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by musti72
there is no glow plug named 7TFC

the number(5,6,7,8)/turbo(T)/gold(G) or not/cald(hot)(C) or freda(cold)(F)
a lot of combinations can be made
haha sorry mate, i must have been smokin somthin that night i ment the
C7TGF - the Ultra (thats on the Nova Website) and the one im using now is the C7TF (the older style Plugs)
Old 03-23-2009, 06:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayL
the long/short plug part is up top, not the inside the engine, so no compression change
Even if the length is above the head it is still part of the compression chamber. Lets say that the hole where the wire is 1 mm x 3mm deep = 3 cubic mm. Now lets say that the long body plug is 1 mm x 5mm deep =5 cubic mm. It is volume in the squash area of the compression chamber. The numbers that I gave are not the correct sizes but I used them to show that the length of the plug would matter in the volume that the plug has. It is not much.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by THE DOCTOR
Even if the length is above the head it is still part of the compression chamber. Lets say that the hole where the wire is 1 mm x 3mm deep = 3 cubic mm. Now lets say that the long body plug is 1 mm x 5mm deep =5 cubic mm. It is volume in the squash area of the compression chamber. The numbers that I gave are not the correct sizes but I used them to show that the length of the plug would matter in the volume that the plug has. It is not much.
Given the engine displacement 2cmm is huge. They used to offer "special" plugs that cost a couple bucks more and durability was much greater than what I have seen out of the available plugs lately.
I need to spend sometime on there web-site to research this as the cost effective Ninja plugs are on the endangered species list...
Old 03-23-2009, 08:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

I emailed fusion motor sports awhile ago and ask the about long and short plugs. Basically a long or short will not change compression. but the two plugs will hold heat from the engine in different matters. In the past most 12 engine where tuned with high nitro content and users used very cold plugs. that's when 30% nitro was the norm. Well since the price of fuel has risen some drivers are opting to go lower on nitro content (16-20%) with that being said; racers now could lower the deck head height and move to hotter plugs.
A hotter plug will give better idling and better low accelaration at the expense of top end. A colder plug might give a rougher idle and trouble clearing out the engine but once a little heat has been generated the engine will sing. I normally use cold plugs because my engine is shimmed for 25% but I do intend to move to 20% this season maybe 16% (If I can find a dedicated supply) At that time I would probally move to a medium heat plug.

Pass you soon...
Old 03-23-2009, 08:37 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Actually that would be 2.355 cmm and 3.925 cmm. Volume of a cylinder is pie x radius squared x height. I still want to measure the holes to see if a long body plug actually does have a deeper a hole.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:38 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I guess I wasn't clear enough, sorry, no part of the plug that is in the compression chamber is different....It's the part in open air, the part you stick the igniter on, compression doesn't change.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.