R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-30-2003, 06:35 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to TexasRacer
Default Pinching sleeves

Hi my friend has a sleeve pincher and wanted to know if it would be a good idea to do it. Is there any pros and cons on doing this?
TexasRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 06:48 PM   #2
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to rod_b

If done right, it can add new life to your engine. If done wrong, it can be a temporary fix that ends up not lasting long.
rod_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 06:57 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to TexasRacer

So you think i should go and do it?
TexasRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 08:35 PM   #4
Tech Master

Eeeeerrr ... what is a sleeve pincher?
tIANcI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 08:45 PM   #5
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by tIANcI
Eeeeerrr ... what is a sleeve pincher?
My guess is it has something to do with resizing the sleeve to get the loss compression back.

While I've not heard about resizing the sleeve, more often resizing or pinching the piston is the way to go with very favourable results. Resizing the sleeve will lead to loose fitting of the sleeve to the crankscase. My 2 cents.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 08:52 PM   #6
Tech Master

Aaaaaah ... the DarkLord speaks!!! Question with pinching is whether the pressure exerted will be equal on all sides and what is the use to pinch when your piston would have worn out?
tIANcI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 08:56 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have had one of my engines pinched and it works great if done right. The piston does not fit loosely on the case because the difference is so small. My engine works great after that, and I actually have a couple more engiens that will get the treatment. I have done it with OSROCKET and would not do it myself, or have any one else do it.

Thanks,

Steven Muller
MPP
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 09:00 PM   #8
Tech Prophet

Of course the pressure should be equal on all sides... The technique done by OSRocket is pretty proprietary. I may be wrong on this but I believe it involves a special presurised mold of some sort coupled with some heat quenching process.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:02 PM   #9
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by nitrodude
The piston does not fit loosely on the case because the difference is so small.
Did OSRocket pinch the sleeve or the piston itself? I doubt he's pinching the sleeve as this would make it loose in the crankcase.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:12 PM   #10
Tech Regular

I have heard great things about the ones from osrocket and if you have a tool it wouldn't hurt anything as long you don't make the fit too tight. Remember the p/s was worn out anyways and is junk, so if you get a little more life out of it then good for you but I don't tink it will last that long after is has some heat cycles through it if you only use a hand tool to do it. The sleeve to case fit, it should fit looser but the sleeve might only be getting like .001-.002"" or so smaller diameter so it might not be that big of a deal and goes back to getting more life out of an otherwise junk p/s sleeve set so wouldn't expect everything to be perfect.
SlobbaTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 09:15 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Did OSRocket pinch the sleeve or the piston itself? I doubt he's pinching the sleeve as this would make it loose in the crankcase.
I don't know what they doing ( and from which service), but right now I have one from my friend for inspection and can tell you for sure sleeve is eleptical and piston sanded by hand, not lapped with lapping compaund by real tool. Good for practice, but don't belive will perform as new or even near to that.
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 09:52 AM   #12
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to rod_b

osrocket squeezes the sleeve. His work is the best as far as I'm concerned. And no, it does not get loose in the crankcase because the change is so minimal. Think about it. How much material do you really believe has been worn off the piston when it's considered "done."

The deal with osrocket's work is that he is somehow able to match the taper of the sleeve to the piston. Many people, including myself, claim to have the engine run better after being squeezed. It makes sense really because the tapered piston and sleeve is the whole premise behind the CMB engines and those engines run well.

Anyway, you can ask questions from the man himself on SGrid and read the countless number of satisfied customers' responses.
rod_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 10:15 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by rod_b
osrocket squeezes the sleeve. His work is the best as far as I'm concerned. And no, it does not get loose in the crankcase because the change is so minimal. Think about it. How much material do you really believe has been worn off the piston when it's considered "done."

The deal with osrocket's work is that he is somehow able to match the taper of the sleeve to the piston. Many people, including myself, claim to have the engine run better after being squeezed. It makes sense really because the tapered piston and sleeve is the whole premise behind the CMB engines and those engines run well.

Anyway, you can ask questions from the man himself on SGrid and read the countless number of satisfied customers' responses.
It is possible the osrocket's done better waht I see last night, I don't know who did that pinching. I don't say it will not work, I sad I don't belive it will perform as high as possible. For me much easier and safer and cheaper to put my new P/S/conrod set. Also I don't belive on the tapper on the piston. It doesn't need to be there, just about 1 mm wide sertain tapper on the top of the piston. CMB, on KZ track were three CMBs and and all of them blew up( two of them duing the brak in), only one was working for about 2 and half gallons.
So, I don't say don't do it, but I won't do it in any case, if I still want to use worn out sleeve, I will just relap taper on sleeve and will put new piston in it.
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 01:49 PM   #14
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to 2mcgrath Send a message via Yahoo to 2mcgrath

how long does this last if you have it done..is it worth the trouble to have it done..does the engine have like new performance again?
2mcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 08:56 PM   #15
Tech Apprentice

I had my 4 year old MT12 squeezed almost 6 months ago, and it has been running strong since. Still has good compression, and i run it 230-250F. I did change the conrod when it was squeezed.

They are selling the tools to do it on ebay right now.
trey is offline   Reply With Quote