R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-01-2003, 01:25 PM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default Resizing

Interesting thread started here. Good to see that some are seeing past the unnecessary hype and skepticism with Piston & Sleeve set resizing. It's really no big deal...... Pinch at sleeve top TDC area eliminates blowbuy conditions, and tightening up the taper lead beginning at porting windows improves seal for compression to build sufficiently. Half the battle is having good tooling, the other half is for the resizer to acclimate himself with close tollerencing a new designed piston & Sleeve fit. The average diameter change of sleeve after resizing is 0.0004" which does not effect the overall engine performance ,as I was most concerned with this my self in the early developement stages. The nonsymetrical wear in piston is the main issue with each resizing I do, that which I addjust for accordingly. The service availability just a few years back "was" only offered by one person....Google search P&S Resizing or Brows Ebay listings....You guys may be surprised to see the number of hits our informative website receives. http://www.buffalo.edu/~jfroth/pinch The imformation made available is for your viewing. It may better answear a few of the other questions and concernes posted here. Regards,
RayA
TOOLING: http://www.rayaracing.com/prodtooling.htm
RayA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 06:31 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TexRacer

Top Gun 777 Im sorry you dont have alot of experience in this.Nor the guys at your track it sounds like.
I have had and was recommended CMB by 1 of the top 10 nitro offroad racers in the world and ISNT sponsored by them.
It is by far faster than ANY .21 I have ran in 1/8th scale offroad and on my 5th gallon.
More torque than Os and More Top than my Rb WS7II and it's 11 port.Scary.
Motor pinching by OS ROCKET is Incrediable.Simply check his ebay feedback.That many people cant be wrong.
On my .12's,.15's small and big block and now .21's simply LAST LONGER,Faster and is WAYYYY cheaper than buying new.
Dont know where your getting your uneducated info but you might wanna check him out yourself.
Im sorry but a .21 piston and sleeve on average is $100.00.
OS rocket if it's clean will do this service for $30.00 round trip or so and less if sending multiple units.Again Cheaper,Last longer in most cases and simply as fast or faster.
Not trying to call you out but your educated opinion needs more education is all.lol.
Goodluck to everyone.
Old 11-01-2003, 06:34 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to KINGZJ

Guys,

sleeve resizing is a extremely good thing to do. the engines are better when they are done. I have done several sleeves for people on the rc tech and everyone is very happy with their engine performance. The engine will run better that new and that is not a lie. If you don't believe me send my your p/s and if you are not happy with the repair I will return your money. You have nothing to loose only to gain............

[email protected] if you need more info
KINGZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 06:38 PM   #19
Tech Elite

King does great work guys.Check him out.
Old 11-01-2003, 06:44 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to KINGZJ

thankyou
KINGZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 08:58 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by TexRacer
Top Gun 777 Im sorry you dont have alot of experience in this.Nor the guys at your track it sounds like.
I have had and was recommended CMB by 1 of the top 10 nitro offroad racers in the world and ISNT sponsored by them.
It is by far faster than ANY .21 I have ran in 1/8th scale offroad and on my 5th gallon.
More torque than Os and More Top than my Rb WS7II and it's 11 port.Scary.
Motor pinching by OS ROCKET is Incrediable.Simply check his ebay feedback.That many people cant be wrong.
On my .12's,.15's small and big block and now .21's simply LAST LONGER,Faster and is WAYYYY cheaper than buying new.
Dont know where your getting your uneducated info but you might wanna check him out yourself.
Im sorry but a .21 piston and sleeve on average is $100.00.
OS rocket if it's clean will do this service for $30.00 round trip or so and less if sending multiple units.Again Cheaper,Last longer in most cases and simply as fast or faster.
Not trying to call you out but your educated opinion needs more education is all.lol.
Goodluck to everyone.
Hey, you don't have to be sorry. I realy don't have a lot of expirience, if we don't count I start in hobby in 1976, at age 13, when you were 3 years old. So, if 27 years of hobby expirience isn't anough, fine, I can live with that.
I can tell you something, all moddifiers here are just modding the existing engines, but I made my own piston sleeve sets ( imean it, from mine materials and mine design). Did you hear some other moddifiers did it? We know Motorman making his own engine and will come up soon, we know Steeve O'Donnell made his engine, and they been in RC cars for years. I've been doing RC cars ( on road) just 6 month ( previosly tether boats). I have my own piston materials ( casting aluminum). I have that chemical composition which is I think is the best for our aplication. I am testing now AAC, ABC and BRB compisition at KZ track. We can say I don't know what I am doing, and that is fine with me, but my engine during the testing my on son's car are running between 7 minuts 35 seconds to 9 minuts 20 seconds on one tank( depend of P/S sets). My son (6 month driving RC car) ended up fourth in expert class ( we lost 8 minutes due to the lost transpoder-we were looking for it all over the KZ). During the A main we refill every 7 min 25 seconds ( main there 20 minuts, so no need to wait for 8 minuts). And all this was happened in front of people, not on my backyard. If this what you call lack of expirience-it is realy lack of it.
Good luck to you with CMB engines.
BTW, speed-well my son is running ordinary MR12 and he keep up easy with any other engines.
I will have my own engine ( i mean it-my own, nothing will be there from existing brands at all) by mid of December and if everything goes OK, I will introduce it on winter nats in Florida.
You can stay where you are right now, but I need to move on and move on fast, so sorry about it!
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.

Last edited by Top Gun 777; 11-03-2003 at 01:10 PM.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 05:12 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Can I come play with you since you dont understand LOL?
MR12 is a fast motor so I dont know why that comment was made.
Goodluck with your motor's and I hope it all works out but I will say AGAIN>

Good for practice, but don't belive will perform as new or even near to that. IS what you said.If you have NOT experienced OSROCKETS pinch HOW in the world can you make Negaitive comments on something you havent even TRIED.
He does pinch them and the TONS and TONS of feedbacks he has on ebay kinda proves he does a KILLER JOB.
So to say they are good for practice and dont believe?
Well if you havent tried can we leave the believing to one things.
FACTSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S.I hope you dont take alot of this crap personal.If you do Im sorry because dealing with motor's that happen to go bad from you your customer service will need some help.lol.
Goodluck on the motor's.It's a rough market with all these companies buying from 3-4 motor companies.
Old 11-03-2003, 06:05 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by TexRacer
Can I come play with you since you dont understand LOL?
MR12 is a fast motor so I dont know why that comment was made.
Goodluck with your motor's and I hope it all works out but I will say AGAIN>

Good for practice, but don't belive will perform as new or even near to that. IS what you said.If you have NOT experienced OSROCKETS pinch HOW in the world can you make Negaitive comments on something you havent even TRIED.
He does pinch them and the TONS and TONS of feedbacks he has on ebay kinda proves he does a KILLER JOB.
So to say they are good for practice and dont believe?
Well if you havent tried can we leave the believing to one things.
FACTSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S.I hope you dont take alot of this crap personal.If you do Im sorry because dealing with motor's that happen to go bad from you your customer service will need some help.lol.
Goodluck on the motor's.It's a rough market with all these companies buying from 3-4 motor companies.
I don't take it personal, don't worry.
Just, when you telling me I don't have expirience with pinching, doesn't mean I dodn't know the subject. Do you think you can pinch and make it as it was? When you pinch material wil be stressed and will loose it christal forms, so it will not perform as original. At list when we are taking about pull real power out of it. It will work ( I sad it in my previos post), but I don't belive and still don't , it will work as high as possible ( this is what I sad in my previose post). OSROCKETS might do realy greate work, I realy didn't see his work ( I hope, not that set I have in my hands right now). It is way to bring back P/S sets for life for while, but again, it will not perform as it can if it is done initialy.
Well, as I sad before, you like to continue to do it, I will not say don't do it. But I will never use this method and people around me will never do it for sure.
About the rough market you are right, it is realy rough and it got to be done something special to convince people to go for some special brand. It was done before in airmodeling and boating, so why do you think it can't be done in RC cars? I will try hard to make my customer to be satisfyed.
Sorry about my English, realy bad one!
Continue this battle will not bring to nowhere, so I sugesting to you stay with your pinching and I will continue to make my p/s sets and my engines.
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
Old 11-03-2003, 06:11 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan
Default Edward

you should probably invest the $20 and send a P/S to OS Rocket (nobody else as far as I'm concerned) and have it pinched.

I was a sceptic as well, but then I had a RB X12 engine that I broke in to hastily and it lost all compression after one Gallon.

I took it out and had it pinched.

That P/S set outlasted everything else I ever ran and it had enormous power.

Now, I have all my P/S sets pinched by him at least once....
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 07:18 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Default Re: Edward

Quote:
Originally posted by stefan
you should probably invest the $20 and send a P/S to OS Rocket (nobody else as far as I'm concerned) and have it pinched.

I was a sceptic as well, but then I had a RB X12 engine that I broke in to hastily and it lost all compression after one Gallon.

I took it out and had it pinched.

That P/S set outlasted everything else I ever ran and it had enormous power.

Now, I have all my P/S sets pinched by him at least once....
Hi Stefan.
No, I will not invest $20 to pinch my sleeves, I will better invest to my new P/S sets and I will know exactly what I have there. I am saying for me 2 micron is very big difference ( in metric) I don't belive for $20 you can pinch it, and lap it to the desired size and geometry and lap piston to right fit. Honestly it doesn't make sence at all. I am investing 2-3 hours of my time to fit piston to right size keep it of eleptical form and this is only for piston, not counting sleeve, takes much longer to have it done right-tapering, round form etc.
I am not saying don't do it, but again I don't belive it and nobody will make me to belive it. I am not going to even try, I don't like the whole idea. I will stay on the old way and make mine P/S sets the way I want to.
I am from old school, so will stay on my "old conventional way".
Sorry to don't take your advice.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:05 PM   #26
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to rod_b

TG777 - It's ok if you don't want to believe. It's also ok if you would not spend the money to try it. However, for a lot of us "budget" racers that can't afford $100+ for a piston and sleeve set for a .21 Novarossi, OS or RB engine, $20 is a small price to pay for new engine life. I'm not here to try to convince you that it works. I will, however, say that there are hundreds of people who have tried it and have been more than satisfied. The simple fact is that it DOES work. I'm not trying to sell you on this service. I'm only trying to state facts...it works.

Thats all.

Good luck with your business. I hope your engines do very well. If you get a chance, please try to develop a low cost, high power .21 buggy engine. I could certainly use one.
rod_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 08:32 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Top Gun you stay with your old way and miss out on this KILLER deal King and OS offer's.If I was you I wouldnt waste the money either cause it would prove you WRONG.
I have tested 5 different motor's.MORE power,Better fuel effic and last LONGER for $20.00.
So stay with your old ways and again GOODLUCK on the motor's.You seem to know your stuff but kinda stubborn in a way.Thats ok though we will keep winning with these so called WEAKER or LESS of an engine.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:40 PM   #28
Tech Addict

Default Re: Resizing

I use Ray (pre1960) pinching service all the time, to me . . this guy's the best . . if I had a harvley, I'd send my v-twin to him for pinching too :-) LOL

Ray's email is : [email protected]

He can tell you more. His pair of hands SQUEEZE anything better :-) LOL

Roger

Quote:
Originally posted by pre1960
Interesting thread started here. Good to see that some are seeing past the unnecessary hype and skepticism with Piston & Sleeve set resizing. It's really no big deal...... Pinch at sleeve top TDC area eliminates blowbuy conditions, and tightening up the taper lead beginning at porting windows improves seal for compression to build sufficiently. Half the battle is having good tooling, the other half is for the resizer to acclimate himself with close tollerencing a new designed piston & Sleeve fit. The average diameter change of sleeve after resizing is 0.0004" which does not effect the overall engine performance ,as I was most concerned with this my self in the early developement stages. The nonsymetrical wear in piston is the main issue with each resizing I do, that which I addjust for accordingly. The service availability just a few years back "was" only offered by one person....Google search P&S Resizing or Brows Ebay listings....You guys may be surprised to see the number of hits our informative website receives. http://www.buffalo.edu/~jfroth/pinch The imformation made available is for your viewing. It may better answear a few of the other questions and concernes posted here. Regards,
RayA
prawntoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 09:19 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Edward

Quote:
Originally posted by Top Gun 777
Hi Stefan.
No, I will not invest $20 to pinch my sleeves, I will better invest to my new P/S sets and I will know exactly what I have there. I am saying for me 2 micron is very big difference ( in metric) I don't belive for $20 you can pinch it, and lap it to the desired size and geometry and lap piston to right fit. Honestly it doesn't make sence at all. I am investing 2-3 hours of my time to fit piston to right size keep it of eleptical form and this is only for piston, not counting sleeve, takes much longer to have it done right-tapering, round form etc.
I am not saying don't do it, but again I don't belive it and nobody will make me to belive it. I am not going to even try, I don't like the whole idea. I will stay on the old way and make mine P/S sets the way I want to.
I am from old school, so will stay on my "old conventional way".
Sorry to don't take your advice.
If everybody would be so bull headed about stuff they don't know, you would never sell one of your new P/S set, let alone your new engine, because everybody would only stay with what they know, i.e. Nova Rossi, Sirio and Picco.

So, here is one more piece of advise, try it or stay off the topic, because you have not seen it.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:21 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by rod_b
TG777 - It's ok if you don't want to believe. It's also ok if you would not spend the money to try it. However, for a lot of us "budget" racers that can't afford $100+ for a piston and sleeve set for a .21 Novarossi, OS or RB engine, $20 is a small price to pay for new engine life. I'm not here to try to convince you that it works. I will, however, say that there are hundreds of people who have tried it and have been more than satisfied. The simple fact is that it DOES work. I'm not trying to sell you on this service. I'm only trying to state facts...it works.

Thats all.

Good luck with your business. I hope your engines do very well. If you get a chance, please try to develop a low cost, high power .21 buggy engine. I could certainly use one.
I don't think at all that this is only for budget racers.

In fact I do it because the engines perform better with a pinched sleeve than with a new one.

I don't know why and I don't care, I just know it works.