R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-24-2003, 08:59 PM   #106
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up

I was following this thread for awhile...
Now I have learned alot from Fisher & Dino....
Congratulations to Fisher & Good job to Dino...
wangcc61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 09:29 PM   #107
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by sparksy
Best way to see if the venom is faulty is put the sensor into a pot of just boiling water. If its reading too far off the temp at which water boils, send it back.

However,it may have the exponential error at high temperature.
mtx3.tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 02:46 AM   #108
Nitro Tech

Wanna see my TempGun?

Ps.Do not imitate Please! This TempGun often has mechanical error!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mythemgun.jpg (69.1 KB, 65 views)
dino.tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 02:57 AM   #109
Tech Regular

Ty wang I learned alot too. Why is everyone trying to bash my Venom? It works Just fine. Water boils @ 212F Motor boils at What 330F?The Fuel was Bad Had to Lean too Much to get it to run Temp Soared. Put good fuel in it, it ran Great Temp stuck in the 200-240F Range Awesome power although I still want the hotter Plug for Topend now. The STS D3 runs very well with the 30% nitro fuel with .5mm shims .020" Dino says I can drop it to .4mm .016" with the 30% and it will run even better. Had no Problem running it rich well under 200F Good Steady idle.The Venom Temp Gauge tells me what I expect to see as far as the temp goes for current state of needle adj./smoke/oil residue.My Final settings are .5mm Head shim 21/2 turns out on the High 31/2 out on the low Mid about flush and idle just out from flush 130 mm pressure line THS one piece pipe with RTV HiTemp Coated on the gaskets for better seal. T6TF plug with T5TC plugs on the way and Trinity 30% Nitro Fuel. I imagine this O'Donnel 20% will make good break in fuel because its definatly not Running Fuel. Thanks again Dino, Roger, and Sparksy
Fisher890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 02:58 AM   #110
Tech Regular

LMFAO @ Tempgun............................I usually spit on the motor....
Old 11-25-2003, 06:32 AM   #111
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

Quote:
Originally posted by mtx3.tw
However,it may have the exponential error at high temperature.
Exactly!!!

Also, when you dip the sensor into hot water (I did that myself with mine with the same results), the sensor will be 100% enclosed in the hot liquid which results in a 100% heat transfer eficiency.

When you mount that sensor to an aluminum head, you have one tiny contact spot and the margin for error goes sky high.

But if the dude rather trusts his engine to this cheapo device that has been proven to be inacurate the I guess we should just leave him alone....

I have been tuning engines for quite a few years now and the only time I had problems to get one to run right was when I tried to go by that Venom gauge.

And btw, it's not just the Venom, all onboard gauges have the same inhereted flaw.
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 02:14 PM   #112
Tech Regular

So let me get this straight if you Have 100% contact with heat that = a correct reading but if you have a smaller contact you will get a Hotter then accurate reading? Boy sounds really fishy. So when the motor is Running good and healthy and temp reads 220F-240F it is incorrect? and when its running bad and reading 280-300F it is exponentially High? I'm sorry if you have had troubles with your unit but my unit seems to work fine. If I were to throw anything as far as I could it would have been my motor before finding the fuel problem. But as I was told at KZ by a guy who knows whom I have no idea who he was "Have patience with Nitro and R/C" I never go on what an instrument tells me as blind truth. Speedometer on the truck I was driving lastnight told me I was going 45mph on the freeway but nobody was passing me... in clear traffic.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:56 PM   #113
Tech Apprentice

I hate to break it to you stefan but the temp gun is more likley to be out then the Thermocouple in the Venom on board. So long as there is a solid metal to metal contact between the head and the thermocouple (the thermocouple is not rattling around lose) the thermocouple will be at the same temp as the cylinder head, stainless steel conducts heat very poorly to the air. Just a quick question about you fantastic $400 heat gun where was it aimed at and how does it adjust for what materials you are aiming at?
Dishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 06:47 PM   #114
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

I fyou'd take a look at the sensor on the Venom you'd have noticed that it is wrapped in heatshrink, no metal to metal contact whatsoever.

You two keep using your incredible instrument and I keep using what 99% of the people who have experience with nitro engines prefer to use.

Bottomline: W H A T E V E R
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 09:28 PM   #115
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Dishy
Just a quick question about you fantastic $400 heat gun where was it aimed at and how does it adjust for what materials you are aiming at?
Ok it seems that this is a "who's got a bigger pole" discussion.So let me introduce my friend,Mr STFUMDIB !!!

I bought this gun a couple years back for use on 1:1 cars and R/C cars at the time it cost around 450 USD.

It has "adjustable emissivity" with a table for use on most materials.

Just bring the car in when you want to check the temp,point at the glow plug with the applicable distance to spot ratio that is given and it takes a half a dozen different measurements,in which I usually take the highest.

It is without doubt in my mind more accurate then any of the current onboard cheap stuff and the gun and laser can be serviced and recalibrated.

Incase you're wandering,yes it does knock at least 2 seconds off your lap time.

Disclaimer: Not suitable or recommended for SLOW people!

Last edited by EVOLUTION; 12-31-2003 at 09:08 AM.
EVOLUTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 09:32 PM   #116
Tech Fanatic

2nd pic

Last edited by EVOLUTION; 12-31-2003 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:34 PM   #117
Tech Fanatic

The star of Jedi !

Last edited by EVOLUTION; 12-31-2003 at 09:10 AM.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:36 PM   #118
Tech Fanatic

Last edited by EVOLUTION; 12-31-2003 at 09:10 AM.
Old 11-26-2003, 03:19 AM   #119
Tech Regular

Bet I knock alot of seconds off my laptime running rich and staying outta the wall...... You guys are Wayy outta your leauge here. Go Back to the Major All Stars and let me finish High School JV R/C. If the Temp gauge gives me 3 settings I'm Happy Cold must run Leaner Mid running good Hot Must Run Richer.Once I get a Few thousand laps under my belt we'll talk more about blowing $400 on a tempgun.
Old 11-27-2003, 06:49 AM   #120
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

Quote:
Originally posted by EVOLUTION
Ok it seems that this is a "who's got a bigger pole" discussion.So let me introduce my friend,Mr STFUMDIB !!!

I bought this gun a couple years back for use on 1:1 cars and R/C cars at the time it cost around 450 USD.

It has "adjustable emissivity" with a table for use on most materials.

Just bring the car in when you want to check the temp,point at the glow plug with the applicable distance to spot ratio that is given and it takes a half a dozen different measurements,in which I usually take the highest.

It is without doubt in my mind more accurate then any of the current onboard cheap stuff and the gun and laser can be serviced and recalibrated.

Incase you're wandering,yes it does knock at least 2 seconds off your lap time.

Disclaimer: Not suitable or recommended for SLOW people!

So what are you doin' with it?.....

has knocking 2 seconds off your time gotten you past the H main yet?...
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote