R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-01-2003, 08:12 AM   #16
Tech Master
 
eddiethefish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Montebello, California
Posts: 1,658
Send a message via ICQ to eddiethefish
Default Re: NS12S5 con rod

Quote:
Originally posted by V1RR
Anyone know where I can purchase this S5 con rod in US? Thanks.
Thought STS S5 Dragon comes with extra conrod, check.
eddiethefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 09:10 AM   #17
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 5
Default

From what I heard, you have to pay around $15 USD for a replacement. the rod should be strong enough, only the bushing within the rod make me worry.
V1RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 06:33 PM   #18
Tech Apprentice
 
smartdriver's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Easley SC
Posts: 72
Default DRAGON conrod

Well,I broke my Dragon in as per the sheet and had my first race with it and now the conrod is worn out and the piston has some ugly discolorations in one spot on the sleeve.My engine didnt come with an extra rod

so I guess I have to buy another one.....
By the way Im not some kid who doesnt know what he is doing.
not happy at all......Guess I need to stick with Novarossi based stuff....
smartdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 07:11 PM   #19
Tech Champion
 
Manticore's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Heaven
Posts: 9,999
Default

I broke in the D5 "NOT" according to the instruction. I kept the engine running "Very" rich for 1 litre on starter box. and another litre on the track with "Very" rich needle setting. and i start to lean the engine progressively. I inspected the conrod after the day and the conrod holds up perfectly. I finished 1 gallon of fuel and inspect the engine again and the conrod still hold up nicely and it is still difficult to remove the conrod/piston from the crankpin for rebuild.

It does happen to novarossi based engine on bad conrod. that is why the conrod has a copper busing there and this is the purpose to protect the crankpin. JMHO
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 07:46 PM   #20
Tech Adept
 
rodrigo1508's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 183
Default

so you sugest to change the conrod after the break in of the D5?
rodrigo1508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 07:56 PM   #21
Tech Regular
 
Fisher890's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Redondo Beach Calif
Posts: 269
Default

So 20 tanks for break in?If its just the Bushing that has the issue is there a way to replace the bushing instead?I was ready to Buy a dragon but they are starting to sound like just another wannabe.Correct me please if I am wrong but they have a 7 and a 7.5 mm crank when all the other nova based motors went to 11 and 11.5 mm Cranks. Is this why they eat bushings?I'm not looking to bash the motor just want to know what I might Have to face since I was Heavily in favor of Buying it in the next day or so and if I need to Buy an addition conrod I'd like to include that in my order. Or if its just gonna eat a rod per gallon I'll stick with my RB's and spend the $$ to start.*&%*&)()*(W*&) Choosing 1 affordable Motor SUX!
Fisher890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 08:06 PM   #22
Tech Apprentice
 
smartdriver's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Easley SC
Posts: 72
Default

Manti,I dont think that my engine should have worn a rod out like it did.
It didnt have ANYTHING to do with the break in process.
I got a bad one and you didnt.
I need to get in touch with Dino and see what I can do.
smartdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 08:09 PM   #23
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Planet RC
Posts: 21
Default

.

Last edited by edwintam; 10-08-2007 at 09:25 PM.
edwintam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 08:15 PM   #24
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Planet RC
Posts: 21
Default

.

Last edited by edwintam; 10-08-2007 at 09:24 PM.
edwintam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 08:16 PM   #25
Tech Prophet
 
InitialD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MORDOR
Posts: 19,679
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Fisher890
I was ready to Buy a dragon but they are starting to sound like just another wannabe.Correct me please if I am wrong but they have a 7 and a 7.5 mm crank when all the other nova based motors went to 11 and 11.5 mm Cranks. Is this why they eat bushings?
It's not another wannabe. It's a good engine. Just that during breaking in (depending on how you do it), the conrods do not last. A Nova conrod would be a good replacement. Once the engine is broken in properly, there should not be any problems with the conrod when run correctly.

As for the crankshaft diameter, I may be wrong but I think you misunderstood the dimensions. I believe the Dragon's have 12 mm diameter crankshaft at the inner side while the shaft at the outer side tapers to 7 or 7.5 mm which is somewhat similar to the Novas. I also do not think that this leads to broken conrods. More like broken crankshafts if indeed the crankshaft was 7 or 7.5 mm all around...

I may be wrong but I think the STS RS3 (older model) that I currently have is already having 12 mm in the middle of the crankshaft and 7 mm diameter at where the flywheel is installed.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 08:34 PM   #26
Tech Addict
 
prawntoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 617
Default

You are right on the RS3 crankshaft dimensions - 12mm/7mm.
Nova based are 11mm/7mm. NS-based is 11.5mm/7mm.

Dragon crankahfts have similar measurements (12mm/7.5mm-D5 and 7mm-D3) but spot a new crankshaft design that's different from STS RS engines - more similar to Sirio.



Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
It's not another wannabe. It's a good engine. Just that during breaking in (depending on how you do it), the conrods do not last. A Nova conrod would be a good replacement. Once the engine is broken in properly, there should not be any problems with the conrod when run correctly.

As for the crankshaft diameter, I may be wrong but I think you misunderstood the dimensions. I believe the Dragon's have 12 mm diameter crankshaft at the inner side while the shaft at the outer side tapers to 7 or 7.5 mm which is somewhat similar to the Novas. I also do not think that this leads to broken conrods. More like broken crankshafts if indeed the crankshaft was 7 or 7.5 mm all around...

I may be wrong but I think the STS RS3 (older model) that I currently have is already having 12 mm in the middle of the crankshaft and 7 mm diameter at where the flywheel is installed.
prawntoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 08:35 PM   #27
Tech Elite
 
stefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Bavaria, Germany
Posts: 3,273
Send a message via AIM to stefan
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Fisher890
So 20 tanks for break in?If its just the Bushing that has the issue is there a way to replace the bushing instead?I was ready to Buy a dragon but they are starting to sound like just another wannabe.Correct me please if I am wrong but they have a 7 and a 7.5 mm crank when all the other nova based motors went to 11 and 11.5 mm Cranks. Is this why they eat bushings?I'm not looking to bash the motor just want to know what I might Have to face since I was Heavily in favor of Buying it in the next day or so and if I need to Buy an addition conrod I'd like to include that in my order. Or if its just gonna eat a rod per gallon I'll stick with my RB's and spend the $$ to start.*&%*&)()*(W*&) Choosing 1 affordable Motor SUX!
The D5 has a crank bore of 7.5mm and the D3 has a legal 7 mm bore, just like all ROAR legal engines must have.

This is not the outside diameter!!
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 08:41 PM   #28
Tech Elite
 
stefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Bavaria, Germany
Posts: 3,273
Send a message via AIM to stefan
Default

I have not seen smart drivers conrod after last weekend, so I cannot comment on that, but what I can say is, that I was not very impressed with the power it made.

I'm used to fast modifieds like Murnan's and my own ones and the D5 felt rather average on the track.

I drove smarty's car in the main (because the whimp had a headache ) and wasn't impressed at all.

We were both thinking about replacing the 6.5 mm carb with a 5.5mm Nova Rossi carb.

I'm going to brak in my D3 soon and I will watch the rod closely and report.
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 08:44 PM   #29
Tech Prophet
 
InitialD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MORDOR
Posts: 19,679
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by prawntoe
Dragon crankahfts have similar measurements (12mm/7.5mm-D5 and 7mm-D3) but spot a new crankshaft design that's different from STS RS engines - more similar to Sirio.
Thanks for the info prawntoe. You're the STS engine expert !

Ummm, the front end bearing (and hence crankshaft) of the D5 and D3 are not interchangeable then?
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 08:51 PM   #30
Tech Addict
 
prawntoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 617
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Thanks for the info prawntoe. You're the STS engine expert !

Ummm, the front end bearing (and hence crankshaft) of the D5 and D3 are not interchangeable then?
internal dimension of the bore is different (outlaw vs legal) but external dimension of RS/D3/D5 are the same, thus they are interchangeable.

12mm ID bearings (internal) are ISO standard, therefore can be replaced with standard bearings. . .

front bearings should be the same and interchangeable with Nova based engines.
prawntoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are Hyper 7, 8, 8.5 parts interchangeable? Paul Whalen Nitro Off-Road 5 07-22-2008 12:01 AM
Are parts from Hyper 7, 8, and 8.5 interchangeable? Paul Whalen Electric Off-Road 1 07-21-2008 05:25 PM
OS VZ-R/VZ-B Conrod and Nova P5 Conrod rod_b R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 2 03-21-2006 06:58 PM
interchangeable parts for the xxxbk? Stevietd14 Electric Off-Road 4 09-24-2004 06:45 PM
xx4 and XXX4 PARTS INTERCHANGEABLE? xaznriceracerx Electric Off-Road 2 09-24-2003 11:19 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:21 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net