Wiki Posts
Search

NEW! 1/8TH ON-ROAD P909 by PROTOform

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 06:36 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by HarryN
I think a lot of people would agree that it is time for Nitro scene to evolve in many ways, especially with bodies.
Well, EFRA (and maybe even IFMAR) is thinking of smaller tyres for the future, lower body's, etc. to have less corner speed, but what if we indeed go to more naturally looking body's?...
The body Roelof showed, will give you this less corner speed, so no need to have smaller tyres.....
Old 02-04-2009, 09:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

See, that is what I am talking about. There are solutions out there, we just need to find them. Rehashing the same mold (not saying they are exactly the same, but very similar) over and over again gets old pretty fast.

I understand the name of the game is to go as fast as possible with great handling, but that doesn't mean it is only tied to one design. I am sure there could be more realistic designs that can accomplish this as well. Saying it wouldn't work or going to another class is just passing up the opportunity to evolve and change. And it isn't about looking beautiful. It is more about evolution. Something to look forward to and really see change. Coming back after 5 years, I had to look twice to notice this body was different.

Heck, look at the 10th scale electric pan cars! They have decently realistic bodies from Protoform and function quite well in races. Why couldn't that apply to nitro 8th scale on-road as well?

Again, not dogging on anyone's parade here. Just trying to understand why more of the same is the best approach to evolution in this section of the industry.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:11 PM
Tech Lord

YES!! That body looks fantabulous to say the least. However, despite the best paintjob or worst, it still has that whale but in the back.

I think a lot of people would agree that it is time for Nitro scene to evolve in many ways, especially with bodies. It's kinda sad that I been gone from the hobby for 5 years, I come back and see that barely anything has changed.

Not trying to dog on anyone or Dale's very nice looking P909 body. Just saying it is time to break the mold and get some fresh ideas and looks.
That was a prototype of Serpent so far I know, picked it from the old Serpent site when Milko Tentof did drive there.

More of the real LeMans car:
http://www.rc-junkies.com/modules/xg...albumName=dome
Old 02-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Tech Elite

Protoform Has three 8th scale bodies that looks different....
Old 02-04-2009, 01:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Francis M.
Protoform Has three 8th scale bodies that looks different....
http://www.prolineracing.com/c-83-18-on-road.aspx

Not really. Frisbee, Shadow, and P909 are quite similar save for a couple more curves here and there. Same overall design.

I feel enough has been said about 8th scale bodies. They all look quite similar and I think it is time for some change and fresh new ideas. I am pretty sure the Le Mans LMP cars and GT2/GT1 cars are designed the way they are because of the downforce and responsive steering they provide on power. I am quite sure nitro 8th scale on-road can follow the same avenue as well. It's working quite well for the RCGT class. I am sure it will work well here.

Dale, again, great work on the body! I may pick one up for my Motonica.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Wasn`t you the one that was bashing nitros and there old technology on the tc loosing popularity thread? If the tech is so old why are you still bothering with playing with a motonica? Secondly if you think the current crop of bodies for 8scale nitro looks ugly, why dont you go buy a toyota gt1? i think you can prob find one of those for sale , last but not least, take that gt1 paint it, then race it. and then guess what, i bet your gonna get your ass handed to ya.... BTW i dont think the current crop of 8scale bodies look ugly, i think they`re that way for a purpose..... all out speed.
Remember this harry!!!! beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Looks like another nightmare to do paint work on from
the inside. So, you just spray bomb the side wings like
a MT basher body. Why not dip the whole body in plasi-
coat or spray it with bedliner.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:56 PM
Tech Lord

I am pretty sure the Le Mans LMP cars and GT2/GT1 cars are designed the way they are because of the downforce and responsive steering they provide on power. I am quite sure nitro 8th scale on-road can follow the same avenue as well. It's working quite well for the RCGT class. I am sure it will work well here.
GTR.... also an oldie from Serpent but still available through other brands:

With this you can make fun:
http://www.debaanbrekers.com/ftp/final.wmv

anyone into night racing?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mdOKo0YIMU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmZS_j8sK_s
Old 02-04-2009, 02:23 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nitro ho
Wasn`t you the one that was bashing nitros and there old technology on the tc loosing popularity thread? If the tech is so old why are you still bothering with playing with a motonica? Secondly if you think the current crop of bodies for 8scale nitro looks ugly, why dont you go buy a toyota gt1? i think you can prob find one of those for sale , last but not least, take that gt1 paint it, then race it. and then guess what, i bet your gonna get your ass handed to ya.... BTW i dont think the current crop of 8scale bodies look ugly, i think they`re that way for a purpose..... all out speed.
Remember this harry!!!! beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Yep, that was all me! I am still sticking buy it. Nitro is an aging technology as it has pretty much plataeued. The bodies all look the same! Where did I say they were hideous? I did mention they look like a whale butt in the rear, but where did I say they were hideous? I know I said that about the 10th scale sedans. Seriously, swiss-cheese cars? Do you see Serpent or any other brand showing off their swiss-cheese bodies on their sedans? Heck no! Because it looks hideous!

I am going to play with the Motonica because it is different.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Roelof
GTR.... also an oldie from Serpent but still available through other brands:
That is a nice McLaren!

BTW, before someone else jabs at my opinions (remember guys, not trying to change anyone's views here, just making my opinion here), I am just saying that if a class like VTA for electrics exist, I am sure a similar class can exist for 8th scale on-road! Simple as that! Sure it will take some tuning and actually learning your car instead of looking for setup sheets, but how cool would it be to race a realistic-looking LMP or GT1/GT2 car? All I'm saying here. If you like the whale butt designs that will never change, then more power to you!

10th scale nitro sedans crack me up with those swiss-cheese bodies!
Old 02-04-2009, 02:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MK
Has anyone run this body on the MRX4X yet and settled on a mounting position (mm from front bumper)?

Have just got my hands on a couple and very keen to try it out.
Can anyone give me some advise on mounting position too.

Thanks
Old 02-04-2009, 03:23 PM
Tech Regular

BTW mr harry potter, real race cars have engines!!!!
Not cracker jack power like batteries
And last but not least, your so called old tech is powering the the fastest class of rc`s....1/8 scale....the f1 of all rc classes, and don`t you forget that.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Tech Regular

10scale tc cracks me up with those cracker jack batteries
Old 02-04-2009, 03:25 PM
Tech Regular

Opps i forgot lipos
Mr harry potter
Old 02-04-2009, 03:40 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by PROVK
Can anyone give me some advise on mounting position too.

Thanks
I ran it at 12mm in front of the bumper. I would not mount it more then 13mm or less then 11mm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.