R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-28-2003, 02:12 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to hicheef
Default Turbo V. Non Turbo Plug

Whats up all?!?!
Got a couple questions concerning g-plugs

1. Whats is the advantage of a turbo vs. a non-turbo plug?

2. I have a really healthy MT-12 right now, can I just swap out the non-torbo plug for a turbo plug adjust a needle or two and go or is there more envolved?

3. Do I have to run a different Pipe now??

Thanks,
KEVIN
hicheef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 04:02 PM   #2
Tech Regular

You would have to buy a turbo button for that engine if you were to try out a turbo plug. I have never used turbo plugs so can't say for sure if they are better or not but they create a better seal which should be better for pretty much everything, power, tuning, reliability. You would have to find a turbo plug that is the same temp as your current plug, prolly have to tweak needles a little, and I think turbo plugs cost a little more.
SlobbaTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 04:02 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to icon

1. The turbo plugs are supposed to provide a better seal of the combustion chamber without the need of the usual copper gasket found in standard glowplugs.

2. With novarossi based engines you can just swap the button head in order to use a turbo plug. Turbo plugs were originally designed for larger engines so their temp ranges are colder than the standard plugs designed for our small block engines. So try to buy the hottest turbo plug you can find.

3. No
icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 10:12 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to 2mcgrath Send a message via Yahoo to 2mcgrath

i think the regular plugs work just as well..considering what you have to buy to use turbo plugs..and also pay about 10 or more a plug..no thanks
2mcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 06:04 AM   #5
Tech Apprentice

I dont think there is any difference in performance, other than the better seal. Turbo plugs don't cost anymore than standard plugs do they? Here they don't anyway. I get Nova turbo 3-packs for like $12-$13.
trey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 06:39 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to kreidel

The turbo plugs generally are alittle more exspensive.
kreidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 11:18 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Personally, I think there is definetly a performance difference. Turbos are more powerful.

I replaced the button on my .15 CVR in my Super Nitro and when I switched it to a turbo the engine definetly had more power.
treky11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 11:17 PM   #8
Tech Prophet

Top Gun 777 told me this about turbo glow plugs...

Turbo plugs give real difference in performance and it is related to hole where the filament is located. It is much smaller then regular plug and you can make the combustion chamber smaller without being afraid of detonation. Most people still don't know why the turbo plugs are better then regular plugs. Everybody relates it to the sealing design, but the real thing is actually the smaller hole.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 05:51 AM   #9
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Top Gun 777 told me this about turbo glow plugs...

Turbo plugs give real difference in performance and it is related to hole where the filament is located. It is much smaller then regular plug and you can make the combustion chamber smaller without being afraid of detonation. Most people still don't know why the turbo plugs are better then regular plugs. Everybody relates it to the sealing design, but the real thing is actually the smaller hole.
x_man is offline   Reply With Quote