R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-27-2003, 03:28 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default An interesting Refueling question...

I've thought about this for a while now, so I thought I'd ask:

Why does everyone determine their fuel stops by time, rather than by laps? Real race teams calculate their fuel consumption by determining an 'x' number of laps between stops. Wouldn't it make sense to figure out how many laps you can safely run on a tank, rather than just come in every 5 minutes? If for whatever reason, you ran off the pace for a tank, wouldn't it make sense that you might not have spent as much fuel as the laps that you were ON the pace?

I just thought I'd ask...
TurnNBurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 04:50 PM   #2
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to rod_b

That would be fine if you knew you were going to consistently turn laps within a certain time period +/- a few seconds. However, since so many things can affect your lap time it's probably better to time how long a tank lasts vs how many laps your tank can go. For example, let say your car can do 20 laps in 5 mins...or 15 secs per lap. Now suppose you got stuck 4 times and each time, it took 15 seconds to free your car up (yes, I know turnmarshals that can take that long ). In this scenario you've lost 4 laps of runtime just sitting there. Would you still try to go 20 laps before refueling? Now obviously you aren't giving the car lots of throttle while you're stuck...unless you're like some racers I know. So now, to get around the track for that lap you'll use the amount needed for 1 lap + the amount used while stuck. That's why most people just guess-timate how long the engine will run under normal running conditions. That's my theory anyway.
rod_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 07:23 PM   #3
Tech Adept

i agree with rod_b...on top of that...can you concentrate on your driving while counting your laps??...i don't think i can...
Los1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 09:35 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Los1Fan
i agree with rod_b...on top of that...can you concentrate on your driving while counting your laps??...i don't think i can...
I think that's why poeple use pit men .
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 12:22 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

5 min pit stops are just easier to keep track of...

Even if you can get 6 min of runtime from a tank, in a 20 min final you will still have to do 4 pit stops. Now a 30 min final with a runtime of 6 min.. you could come in at 6 min intervals and have one less fuelstop. But you might be pushing it.

I would rather pit once more than run out of fuel.
sparksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 02:58 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by sparksy
Even if you can get 6 min of runtime from a tank, in a 20 min final you will still have to do 4 pit stops.
Why???
3 stops would do wouldn't it? ( 3 times 6 = 18 ) Heck, the 3rd stop would be a splash and go since there would only be 2 minutes left in the race.

TurnNBurn,
Your idea isn't dumb. It would, however, take a good pit man since the driver couldn't count laps and race at the same time. Also the driver and pit man would need to be able to talk to each other (maybe a two way radio) during the race. That way the pit man can tell the driver when to pit.

It could be done and probably would be fun. It would take RC racing one step closer to the real thing
The Sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 03:09 AM   #7
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by The Sleeper
Why???
3 stops would do wouldn't it? ( 3 times 6 = 18 ) Heck, the 3rd stop would be a splash and go since there would only be 2 minutes left in the race.
Not saying you couldnt do it.

Pit strategy can play a big part in rc. If you have a good system with your pit person you could pull off a refuling time to your advantage. eg.. If everyone else is pitting at 5 min and you can do 6min come in early for the splash, thus off setting your pit stops with the rest of the field. You might still be pitting 4 times, but you have a clear pit straight when you do come in. Traffic in pit lane does slow the stop.
Old 10-28-2003, 03:36 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Agreed, in a longer race pit strategy is important. Even in a short race, a decent bit of time can often be cribbed with speedy stops.

Many moons ago, we ran a Neo with a RB side exhaust. I remember a 15 minute final where we made one stop, surprised plenty of people and won the race. This was partly because I had it screwed down pretty tight and partly because the tank was 3cc's oversize.

Anyway, what I was going to say was that a 20 minute final can easily be done, with three stops at 5 minute intervals.

Why?
Well, we start out with a full tank.
Taylor-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 03:41 AM   #9
Tech Master

TR,

you are right... what was I thinking... lol
Old 10-28-2003, 03:59 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by sparksy
TR,

you are right... what was I thinking... lol
Couldn't resist - it must be that balmy Qld sun. We'll soon fix that.

BTW . . "THIS SPACE FOR RENT" . . . . good one.
Taylor-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 04:05 AM   #11
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
Couldn't resist - it must be that balmy Qld sun. We'll soon fix that.
Qld would be a great place to live except for all the QLDers.
Old 10-28-2003, 04:47 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

wrong post
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 06:39 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Tabushi Send a message via Yahoo to Tabushi

My Novamega SX12RE-EV1 with TP04 pipe its giving me 7,5mins of running time, so during a race my pitman ask me to enter for refueling every 6,5 to 7 minutes.

E-Mail : [email protected]
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/patoconcha
Whatsapp : +56 9 66165085
Tabushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 09:28 AM   #14
Tech Regular

You all have interesting answers. Of course, I assume that the Pit man is going to do all the work... after all, I don't think that Jeff Gordon counts how many laps he's run when he's out on the track! Also, I am talking about race strategy... if you can't fnish a standard 5 min. qualifier without pitting, I don't think you're going to qualify well against those who don't have to pit.

rod_b: You have a good point, it's just that I would imagine that if you do get stuck in the boards, you're going to use less fuel than if you're still out on the track running at 1/2 to full throttle. In the scenario you just mentioned, if I got stuck on the boards, I might not run the whole 20 laps (after all, sitting there still uses fuel), but I might still try to run 18 or 19 laps. My point was that even though I ran 2 less laps, it will still take longer than the 5 minutes, and in the long run, it could translate into one less stop, which might help me make up the time lost when I got stuck in the boards... see what I mean? Anyway, it's food for thought, and I appreciate all points of view.

Sleeper: By the way, I DO have a two-way radio... Thank God for Radio Shack!!!
TurnNBurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 10:55 AM   #15
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to rod_b

Ok then here's more food for thought...

In a long main, are you gonna want to think about how many laps you've gone since your last refuel? If you crash 2,5 or 10 times between refuels, are you gonna be able to calculate how that relates to how many laps you can go. Full size car racing teams do count laps and a bunch of other factors to squeeze out the most possible mileage from a tank. However, they also have a race management team and tons of info at their finger tips. Now if you could get a fuel gauge somehow, that would be a start.
rod_b is offline   Reply With Quote