R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-11-2009, 11:58 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default 1/8th on-road qualifier time length.

I had a couple of people tell me that the qualifing time was now 7 minutes long in the US per ROAR rules. I do not see this in the rule book for 1/8th scale on-road?

I do not want it to change from 5 minutes. This will add to the cost in a few ways. What are your thoughts?
THE DOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:11 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

The EFRA has taken this rule also and people are indeed afraid of 3.5 minutes a tank qualify engines. Adrien Bertin explained this will not happen, we will see, as a country we stick to the 5 minutes for the next season.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:52 PM   #3
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Send a message via MSN to Pooh2

I'd like 2 c quals 2 be 10 mins like IFMAR does it. 7 mins sounds lame 2 me.

"Since the Bible and the church are obviously mistaken in telling us where we came from, how can we trust them to tell us where we are going"?
Pooh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:44 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Quals

I would also like to see 10 min Qualls, as pitting then would come into play as it does in the mains.
How many times have you been scrambling to find a "Pit" guy, and hope he is as fast as you want him to be.
Many races are won and lost in the pits!!
speedracer1bp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:46 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DOCTOR View Post
I had a couple of people tell me that the qualifing time was now 7 minutes long in the US per ROAR rules. I do not see this in the rule book for 1/8th scale on-road?

I do not want it to change from 5 minutes. This will add to the cost in a few ways. What are your thoughts?
If it went to 7 min. wouldn't you rather have 2 more min racing than practice?? I don't see cost factoring in at all.....
speedracer1bp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:51 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I just got an 1/8th and I would like to see 10 minutes for qualifiers. Same reason as stated above you got to pit in the mains, qualifify on a team time not just the driver. Plus I get more track time and pitting practice.
Tim
got2bqik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:59 PM   #7
Tech Regular

I see 3.5 minute qual engines a real possibility. Personally I dont like it. A fuel stop in quals isnt just car and drivers best times. The pit man is also qualifying. It will cause alot more headaches when it comes to finding a pit man. Its a common practice for just about anyone to top off the tank after warmup. You only find a pit man for the main. I hope the midwest series is not considering it.
wizby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:25 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizby View Post
I see 3.5 minute qual engines a real possibility. Personally I dont like it. A fuel stop in quals isnt just car and drivers best times. The pit man is also qualifying. It will cause alot more headaches when it comes to finding a pit man. Its a common practice for just about anyone to top off the tank after warmup. You only find a pit man for the main. I hope the midwest series is not considering it.
I agree. Qaulification is solely based on the drives abillity to get around the track NOT including the pit man. You still have to field the marshalls. There just may not be enough bodies to cover everyone on the driver stand. Someone is going to get screwed. Keep quals at 5 min.
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:49 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For those that don't realize, when people on here refer to a 3.5 min engine, they mean that if they institute a 7 min. qual., people will have engines that are so heavily modified, they will only make 3.5 min. on a tank of fuel. So, for the top level races, you won't be able to compete unless you have at least 2 completely different engines. Then of course, you should probably have back ups for those 2 so make that 4 engines.

MINO Racing
JetMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:58 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

We have 10min qualifiers in Australia, it rocks

Mugen Seiki
Max Power Engines GRP Tires Nitro X Fuels "Mugen Blend"
www.rrcsa.org.au
PROVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:32 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

The are pros and cons for a 7/10mins qualifiers.

It may also depends on the number of participants. For example, if it a club race with fewer number of participants, and if time permits, the pros may come in having the pit-men having learnt about good pitting skills. Otherwise, just stick to 5mins and have all the heats and mains completed.

In a bigger scale race, we can stick to 5mins due to the large participants list. We may not be able to complete the heats in time etc etc.

My take is whatever the decision, I just run it and hope for the best.

In terms of cost, you can say that it may be higher for longer timed heats. Tyre wear factor, more fuel used and yeah prob the 3.5min qualifying engines.

In the end, i still say r/c racing is about meeting up with frens of the same interest and have great fun.

Cheers
Old 01-11-2009, 10:42 PM   #12
KMW
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DOCTOR View Post

Per the 2009 ROAR rule book 1/8th on-road qualifiers are still 5 minutes. The qualifying time for the new 1/8th electric off-road class is 7 minutes.
KMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:04 AM   #13
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROVK View Post
We have 10min qualifiers in Australia, it rocks
10 minute quals are a little different story. Its done at some races in the US. But thats just one fuel stop at 5 minutes. No reason to build a killer 3.5 minute engine. Still dont like a pit man possibly hurting someones qualifying position.
wizby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:13 PM   #14
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizby View Post
10 minute quals are a little different story. Its done at some races in the US. But thats just one fuel stop at 5 minutes. No reason to build a killer 3.5 minute engine. Still dont like a pit man possibly hurting someones qualifying position.
My second half of a 10min qualifer is the usually the fastest because I settle into a rythim.

7 minute qualifiiers will never happen

Mugen Seiki
Max Power Engines GRP Tires Nitro X Fuels "Mugen Blend"
www.rrcsa.org.au
PROVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:54 PM   #15
Tech Addict

They did it for the nitro off-road not on road