R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-12-2009, 03:58 PM   #16
Tech Fanatic
 
PROVK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 942
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturbotony View Post
They did it for the nitro off-road not on road
I know nothing about off road but some of those engines get 10mins runtime in on road we struggle to get 5min sometimes
__________________
George V

Mugen Seiki
Max Power Engines GRP Tires Nitro X Fuels "Mugen Blend"
www.rrcsa.org.au
PROVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:01 PM   #17
Tech Regular
 
getpip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 369
Default

Personally I wouldnt mind 5 mins and I wouldnt mind 10 mins.

7 minutes seems to me to be something of a pointless half measure.

I think it is inevitable that we will end up with super fast 3 1/2 minute qualifying engines which will serve only to make the game more expensive for already hard up club racers.
getpip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:39 PM   #18
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Harwood, MD
Posts: 2,526
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer1bp View Post
If it went to 7 min. wouldn't you rather have 2 more min racing than practice?? I don't see cost factoring in at all.....
You will still need to do the warm-up laps plus the other 2 minutes on the track.

1) add fuel

2) more tire wear ( not much )

3) two qualifing engines that have been modded to extremes. This is the most expensive item and if it is that modded the life of that engine will be very short. I see this as adding around $1,000-$1,300 to everyone's race costs for the year.

I see the amount of guys showing up at the end of the season being less because they don't have money for another engine or tires.
THE DOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:27 AM   #19
Tech Champion
 
Roelof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Holland
Posts: 6,284
Send a message via ICQ to Roelof
Default

The main reason is that it is hard to reach 5 minutes and many drivers (even those who can not spend a lot) try to lean out the engine to reach 5 minutes with the possibillity to damage it.... A 10 minute qualify will not help.

Alhough Adrien Bertin explained they are on top of the performance of an engine I think we will see faster engines in the qualify.

Sticking to 5 minutes as a country it will give the time to have it all in one day without decreasing the number of drivers.
__________________
The quality of an answer comes with the quality of the question.
Roelof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:07 AM   #20
Tech Fanatic
 
mcsquish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Live at work, play in Toledo, OH
Posts: 828
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturbotony View Post
They did it for the nitro off-road not on road
In off-road I can get 10min easy, and run a temp around 180-200F (LOTS of smoke). With off-road I only use full throttle barely on the main straight and the rest of the time I'm just burping or maybe 1/2-3/4. There are too many turns and jumps and the track surface doesn't usually allow the full power like we can in on-road.
__________________
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Dirt Burners Racing - R.I.P. BB / Kolors by Kropy / CEFX / One Eighth Racers
mcsquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:28 AM   #21
Tech Addict
 
aturbotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 610
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsquish View Post
In off-road I can get 10min easy, and run a temp around 180-200F (LOTS of smoke). With off-road I only use full throttle barely on the main straight and the rest of the time I'm just burping or maybe 1/2-3/4. There are too many turns and jumps and the track surface doesn't usually allow the full power like we can in on-road.
Again off road. On road is hard to make 5min. unless you have a small track with alot of turns. If you run a track thats full throttle 75% of the time you will not make fuel time. I ran a onroad race with a 7min. qual and it wasnt that bad because, at our track you are full throttle every where. What it did was make the qual a little more interesting because everybody had to pit
__________________
Tony Thompson / Mugen Seiki USA / RC America / Airtronics / Flashpoint Fuel / Novarossi USA /Jgo paints / DeSoto Racing/ Murnan Modified Motors / Zac Project Tires / My Wife and Kids /
aturbotony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:10 PM   #22
Tech Elite
 
Pooh2's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Somewhere here on Earth
Posts: 2,518
Send a message via MSN to Pooh2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DOCTOR View Post
You will still need to do the warm-up laps plus the other 2 minutes on the track.

1) add fuel

2) more tire wear ( not much )

3) two qualifing engines that have been modded to extremes. This is the most expensive item and if it is that modded the life of that engine will be very short. I see this as adding around $1,000-$1,300 to everyone's race costs for the year.

I see the amount of guys showing up at the end of the season being less because they don't have money for another engine or tires.
I don't think the price will go up really. I think guys would do less practice.
When I did the worlds in 2003 the cost was about the same with 10 min quals. And engines will b about the same. I love the way IFMAR does it. It would b nice if ROAR did the same if u ask me. JMO
__________________
MUGEN MRX5/CONTACT TIRES/DESOTO RACING/TEAM LOGIC


"Since the Bible and the church are obviously mistaken in telling us where we came from, how can we trust them to tell us where we are going"?
Pooh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:14 PM   #23
Tech Champion
 
GMartinez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Sunshine State
Posts: 8,165
Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)
Default

10 minutes sounds interesting IMO I think it will help drivers on consistency instead of just looking to put in a blazing qualifier in a rocket round.
Could also help in determining what tire size to run in a 30 min main when at times your calculation on a 5 minute run X tire wear & conditions change by time the A Main arrives I've seen some come off the track with a lot of tire left so 10 minutes X tire wear could get you right on target
__________________
www.fullthrottlercraceway.com
Home of The U.S. World Nitro Cup 2013,2014,2015,2016
2014 Roar Electric Nationals, IFMAR ISTC Worlds, 2015 Roar Fuel Nationals
2017 U.S.World Nitro Cup Nov 29th - Dec 3rd
U.S.Open Fuel Championship Returning soon
GMartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:52 PM   #24
Tech Elite
 
GHETTOTEACHER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,162
Default

I don't see any problems with 7+ min qual. In fact, many of my friends that run 8th scale onroad also run 1/12 electric during the off season. Eight min quals are the standard. Now with nitro, you just have to think about fuel and tire management. 1/8 scale onroad tank will burn up in 5:30 <---mine at least. In those cases a good pit man and a really good timer with vibrate on your Tx helps alot.

I say go for it!!
__________________
Herolin <---Traded my Airtronics for an Ipad and Laptop...
Soon to be GHETTOPRINCIPAL..
GHETTOTEACHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:44 PM   #25
Tech Master
 
captian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: city that never sleeps
Posts: 1,832
Default

well with longer Q times it will be a team effort to get the car to make time with the pitman he can let you know where you are on the track . if you need to push on or run easy this will help save tires and fuel . with all the new bodys and engines and pipes we should be able to make the time and change the setup on the cars to run harder tires and run smaller inlet on the carbs to use less fuel ...but mods on engines will hurt that if the tune is not set right.IMO
__________________
serpent america * max power * beast mods *kopropo usa* protoform * team cmdi
captian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:34 PM   #26
Tech Initiate
 
Northern.dj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 25
Default

This post makes me laugh this has all the drivers running for cover as on a club day the finals are 15 to 20 mins and most of the cars come off after 8 mins with cooked engines if you no what your doing 10 mins qualifying should not be a problem pitting has never been a problem as there tends to be the driver and mechanic if engines were cheeper then we will all be happy
Northern.dj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:37 PM   #27
Tech Addict
 
aturbotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 610
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern.dj View Post
This post makes me laugh this has all the drivers running for cover as on a club day the finals are 15 to 20 mins and most of the cars come off after 8 mins with cooked engines if you no what your doing 10 mins qualifying should not be a problem pitting has never been a problem as there tends to be the driver and mechanic if engines were cheeper then we will all be happy
what
__________________
Tony Thompson / Mugen Seiki USA / RC America / Airtronics / Flashpoint Fuel / Novarossi USA /Jgo paints / DeSoto Racing/ Murnan Modified Motors / Zac Project Tires / My Wife and Kids /
aturbotony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:29 AM   #28
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Harwood, MD
Posts: 2,526
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern.dj View Post
This post makes me laugh this has all the drivers running for cover as on a club day the finals are 15 to 20 mins and most of the cars come off after 8 mins with cooked engines if you no what your doing 10 mins qualifying should not be a problem pitting has never been a problem as there tends to be the driver and mechanic if engines were cheeper then we will all be happy
Your post makes me laugh because this thread has nothing to go with 10 minute qualifiers.
THE DOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:13 AM   #29
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Harwood, MD
Posts: 2,526
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by captian View Post
well with longer Q times it will be a team effort to get the car to make time with the pitman he can let you know where you are on the track . if you need to push on or run easy this will help save tires and fuel . with all the new bodys and engines and pipes we should be able to make the time and change the setup on the cars to run harder tires and run smaller inlet on the carbs to use less fuel ...but mods on engines will hurt that if the tune is not set right.IMO
Well lets say that you turn down the performance of your engine some. Do you think that you could get a extra two minutes out of one tank of fuel? That would mean that you would need to do a extra 6 lap on that same tank of fuel at 301.

On a normal race day at 301 I am doing 16 laps in a 5 min qualifier. 16 laps / 5 min = 3.2 laps a min. If we figure that we are not putting out as much HP going to 7 minute qualifiers we can round it out to lets say 3.0 laps per minute. 3 laps a min x 7 min = 21 laps if you conserve fuel to not make a fuel pit stop in the middle of the qualifier. But 3.2 laps a minute x 7 minutes = 22.4 laps in the same qualifing time. Yes you need to subtract 8 seconds for pitting to take a splash of fuel but coming in and pitting would be faster. With all of this I could change the pipe and go to a bigger carb restrictor and go even faster if I have to come in for a fuel stop anyways.

This would leed to having qualifing engine and pipe set-ups and then going to a differant engine and pipe set-ups for the mains.
THE DOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:35 PM   #30
Tech Master
 
captian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: city that never sleeps
Posts: 1,832
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DOCTOR View Post
Well lets say that you turn down the performance of your engine some. Do you think that you could get a extra two minutes out of one tank of fuel? That would mean that you would need to do a extra 6 lap on that same tank of fuel at 301.

On a normal race day at 301 I am doing 16 laps in a 5 min qualifier. 16 laps / 5 min = 3.2 laps a min. If we figure that we are not putting out as much HP going to 7 minute qualifiers we can round it out to lets say 3.0 laps per minute. 3 laps a min x 7 min = 21 laps if you conserve fuel to not make a fuel pit stop in the middle of the qualifier. But 3.2 laps a minute x 7 minutes = 22.4 laps in the same qualifing time. Yes you need to subtract 8 seconds for pitting to take a splash of fuel but coming in and pitting would be faster. With all of this I could change the pipe and go to a bigger carb restrictor and go even faster if I have to come in for a fuel stop anyways.

This would leed to having qualifing engine and pipe set-ups and then going to a differant engine and pipe set-ups for the mains.
well dialing back the power on the engine is just one thing !!! if you use 301 as the track then you have high traction and good sweeping corners .the you can control fuel by just useing your finger and just be smooth on the gas and roll on the gas 'instead of yanking and work on corner speed in you setup .

if you going to do the pit stop anyway and split it 2 5minutes pit stops. then in practice do a fuel run and try and get 6min pure tank or more with out hurting your lap times . changing to a bigger restrictor do not all ways make you faster . wheel spin will hurt you on the low end and braking early will hurt you on the top . some times changing the carb inlet will smooth out the engine power save fuel and make you faster. but with the pipe and carb change gave you more power . a problem is can you use !!!. so i see no need to have to change engines unless you want to .
and how many of us really come to the race with just one powerplant
__________________
serpent america * max power * beast mods *kopropo usa* protoform * team cmdi
captian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electric 1/8th Scale conversion kits. DJ1978 Electric Off-Road 19923 06-12-2017 06:16 AM
Round 1 GA Championship Series March 14th Dalton RC Keith Manton2 Georgia Racing 132 04-10-2009 02:15 AM
Electric 1/8 Rules Debate Jube Electric Off-Road 234 02-26-2009 07:48 PM
1/8th Buggy Shoot out Nitro$junkie Electric Off-Road 39 05-25-2007 05:09 PM
Lost 8ight/8T vs Mugen MBX5R/MBX5T brent98rt Electric Off-Road 32 05-20-2007 09:59 PM
Fantom Engine Manual = ABC Engine Bible Horatio Monster Trucks 9 02-05-2007 08:35 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:56 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net