R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-04-2009, 04:58 PM   #1
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)
Default which 1/10 sedan

Ok I got some bad news today. I race 1/8 offroad buggy. I love racing it but I heard my local track is shutting down. and the next closet track to me is over 2 hours. I dont wanna get out of rc and 301 raceway is a half hour from me. I wanna get back in to sedans. I have never personally raced sedan althou I have owned a mtx4r and practiced with it, but was to scared in a race I might accidently hit someone and break them and have a big argument. The mugen I know has issues with stripping gears so Im not sure I wanna go that way. Any help would be great and also a engine selection would be good to.Im probaly not gonna buy in a month or so just looking for ideas.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:09 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony montana View Post
Ok I got some bad news today. I race 1/8 offroad buggy. I love racing it but I heard my local track is shutting down. and the next closet track to me is over 2 hours. I dont wanna get out of rc and 301 raceway is a half hour from me. I wanna get back in to sedans. I have never personally raced sedan althou I have owned a mtx4r and practiced with it, but was to scared in a race I might accidently hit someone and break them and have a big argument. The mugen I know has issues with stripping gears so Im not sure I wanna go that way. Any help would be great and also a engine selection would be good to.Im probaly not gonna buy in a month or so just looking for ideas.
I went through the same thing that you are going through right now a couple months ago. Heres what was recomended to me.

Cars: I went with the Mtx4r, i like the car but the manual was the worst manual i have ever used while building a car. Over all the car is nice! I know you said that you where shying away from the mugen so i will recomend the xray. I have a t2 007 and the craftsman ship is second to none. I went with the mugen simply becasue my lhs carries parts for it.

Servos: I went with the jr 9100s on the steering and the 9100t on the throttle.

Motor: It was recomend to me to get a novarossi 353, however the price blew me away. The motor i ended up with was a novarossi .12 with the purple Head( i dont know the exact name of it off the top of my head)

Pipe: I got the maxx power 2602, becasue it has good fuel milege

Thats my setup, i am will be running at blue diamond park in delaware.

now one thing you didnt mention was if you had a budget. Most of the stuff on my list above can be pricey.
CREWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:12 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

get this one, http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...-720-08-a.html
LOW ET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:32 PM   #4
Suspended

Kyosho V One-RRR Evo 2 WC
Novarossi 353
Good Luck.
kyosho player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:09 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

K Y O S H O
V1 RRR EVO 2 WC
Don`t blame the car, when you know you can`t drive.
Sponsor, me , myself and I.
nitro ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:06 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to SOLOARTIST 702

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony montana View Post
well you have support of all cars believe me dont listen to the car issues that you hear cause they all have an issue or 2 its what ever you feel good with & have support good luck oh yeah motor jp first line
RC AMERICA / XRAY / HUDY/ MATRIX TIRES /KOPROPO / ORCAN GT3 /RED CUP RACING MEMBER / SPEEWORLD RACEWAY/ A+ performance parts /IVE SEEN THE XRAY TEAM DRIVE SO I GOT XRAY CARS / better to keep up than to catch up

WILLIAM PENDERGRASS
SOLOARTIST 702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:59 PM   #7
dvu
Tech Apprentice

How does the novarossi 353 compare to the O.S. .12 TZ (P)-T 3-Port Turbo, or is there no comparison? I've got the O.S. engine in my HPI R40, and I'm getting ready to build the kyosho evo 2 wc edition and am trying to pick out an engine.

Thanks, Duc
dvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:30 PM   #8
Suspended

You're right,there is no comparison 353 is better
kyosho player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:59 PM   #9
Tech Initiate

Just jump in and do it! Get any of the cars mentioned, and just go race. You will crash others by accident, and be crashed by others, but it's all to be expected. Also during qualifying, your times decide who is in the same skill range as you, so you will be racing guys with about the same skill level so don't worry about being blown away by everyone else. Good news is, you already have some racing experience, you just need to transfer whatever skills learned offroad into onroad! Plus, you know how to tune an engine and how to setup your radio. After a few racing sessions, you will be hooked on the rush from the competition. Also don't worry about people getting mad about accidents, EVERYBODY causes a wreck sometime. If the other guy gets all upset about it, he's in the wrong hobby. Just jump in with both feet and learn to swim!
cbmracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:23 PM   #10
Tech Addict

I ran a MTX4-R and gear strpping wasn't a problem for me. What you should do.....is go with the car that is easy for you to work on, drive and most important of all, make sure it's easy for you to get parts for. GOOD LUCK
Old 01-05-2009, 11:00 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Got an XRAY NT1 only run twice no egine or electronics.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:05 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'd say the Kyosho RRR Evo 2 or the XRay NT1. Both are very capable cars and from that standpoint it's a matter of parts availability from you LHS. From an engine standpoint the Novarossi 353 is a very good engine but a bit pricey. I am currently runnig the Sirio Evo 4 STI and Capricorn CL12-ET which is Capricorn's tuned version of the new Sirio XXX. Both motors are extremely fast, very reliable and easy to tune. Just my .02 cents.
Speyederjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 01:31 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Can't go wrong with Kyosho or Xray.

I'd say do not bother going anywhere else.

One thing, though, Kyosho is less expensive to run. Spares are much less expensive than Xray.

Only complaint about Kyosho are the belts. I wish they lasted a little longer. They can get you thru a whole race weekend with out problems, though.

Old Kyosho spurs wore quickly. The later ones, that have been available for quite some time, are just awesome. I cannot remember the last time I had to change them. Pulleys have also been improved significantly, just in case you ever hear any thing about it from an old Kyosho owner.

Pinions wear just about the same as any out there, I guess. Particularly first gear.

I love the Novarossi 353 engine. Yes it is expensive, but it lasts quite a while if you do not abuse it. Tough to beat it!
gtrmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:06 PM   #14
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrmx View Post
Can't go wrong with Kyosho or Xray.

I'd say do not bother going anywhere else.

One thing, though, Kyosho is less expensive to run. Spares are much less expensive than Xray.

Only complaint about Kyosho are the belts. I wish they lasted a little longer. They can get you thru a whole race weekend with out problems, though.

Old Kyosho spurs wore quickly. The later ones, that have been available for quite some time, are just awesome. I cannot remember the last time I had to change them. Pulleys have also been improved significantly, just in case you ever hear any thing about it from an old Kyosho owner.

Pinions wear just about the same as any out there, I guess. Particularly first gear.

I love the Novarossi 353 engine. Yes it is expensive, but it lasts quite a while if you do not abuse it. Tough to beat it!
you must have problems with your car because i my belt last 5 to 6 races. when you hit the walls while on power it will destroy your belts. you have to let off the throttle when you get out of control.
KyoshokiddT.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:34 PM   #15
Tech Adept

every one at 301 is really kool... i dough they would get mad if an arm breaks or something .. things will break even in practice its part of the hobby.
see you in the 09 season !

i have broken things trying to keep up with the guys here and im pretty sure someone might have broken something becouse i got in their way... no one is going to snap at you.

i will be driving v one rrr evo2 and i stuck a rb v12 r3 in it .. im on a budget so i did not get the RC version.. but i have heard its a good engine
olkleaf is offline   Reply With Quote