R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-02-2009, 02:01 PM   #16
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i feel for you i guess i'm in that same boat.... what does your local hobby shop support? do you even have one? or are you an online kinda guy? if it doesn't matter than i guess i would have to tripple the vote to a team magic G4JR at 310.00 at wolfhobbies.com

it is actually a ready to race car.. you'll need a starter box, igniter,and charger which you should already have one..
Old 01-02-2009, 02:15 PM   #17
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (86%+)
Send a message via AIM to TRYMY4.0

I'm a big HPI fan b/c most hobby shops carry their parts, they are easy to repair, competitive and very fun.

I currently have a HPI RS4 EVO 3+ and it's a blast. Easy to tune and quite a few hop-ups but mine is stock and rips around the track. I drift it in my shop which has lifts, huge metal equipment and I wack the hail out of everything, I havent broken A THING! Only thing I've broken is the gas tank cus I slid into a dumpster at like 40mph and hit on the side with the exhaust and pressed into the tank.

Now, it isn't the BEST touring car, just saying its a great RTR at a good price.

-Ant.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:54 AM   #18
Tech Initiate

I would say go with gpx4, mainly because I have 2 of them and they are awesome racers AND lot thrashers. Not sure what what most other cars mentioned come with, but gpx4 includes glow igniter, wrenches, decent instructions showing good detail. The car itself has pillow ball suspention, adjustable front and rear track width, front and rear toe in/out adjustment, front cva's, adjustable front blade type anti roll bar, wire rear roll bar, aluminum threaded shocks, sealed diffs(that don't leak)for changing diff fluid, adjustable downstops and droop, track legal .12 engine and pipe, built in adjustable servo saver...There is more I can't think of right off the top of my head. I also have the rs4 3evo and I only use it for projects that might do severe damage since I got the gpx4, as the gpx4 is so much better and durable. As for shaft vs. belt, the rs4 gets more damage and wear from debris than my belt car. Parts are no issue from nitrohouse and others. The rs4 can be found all over the place, but it has design issues like the fuel tank placement that puts the fuel line in just the right place to get eaten by gears, weak stock chassis that bends very easy, thin dogbones that don't hold up to good power, diffs that leak badly, soft shock towers that flex to much causing strange handling. The list could go on, lets just say it needs lots of money to be as durable. Best part of all...PRICE! Right now amain hobbies has them on sale for 159 clams! Don't be fooled thinking that because it's cheap it isn't good, it normally sells for almost twice that! Plus it can be converted to pro spec honest to goodness true racing machine for not much more money if you need a something super competetive. That's been my experience though
cbmracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:55 AM   #19
Tech Regular

i have to agree with cbmracing my first car was actually the gpx4(i dont know why i forgot to metion it) the car is great, i upgraded it to pro specs and raced a season with it... the car has some potential and it wont break easily.... as for the belts its no trouble i only had to replace two or three belts( i think its two)
so make your choice tm g4js or hobao gpx4, tell us your thoughts now....
Old 01-03-2009, 09:24 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRYMY4.0 View Post
I'm a big HPI fan b/c most hobby shops carry their parts, they are easy to repair, competitive and very fun.

I currently have a HPI RS4 EVO 3+ and it's a blast. Easy to tune and quite a few hop-ups but mine is stock and rips around the track. I drift it in my shop which has lifts, huge metal equipment and I wack the hail out of everything, I havent broken A THING! Only thing I've broken is the gas tank cus I slid into a dumpster at like 40mph and hit on the side with the exhaust and pressed into the tank.

Now, it isn't the BEST touring car, just saying its a great RTR at a good price.

-Ant.
+ 1
Old 01-03-2009, 09:32 PM   #21
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (86%+)
Send a message via AIM to TRYMY4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHETTOTEACHER View Post
+ 1
thanks, and to add:

We went to our local track today in GA while it just got done raining, it was me in my 1/10 HPI vs 2 1/8 Inferno GT's and I was sticking with them (and this is pretty much my first time on a track and it was wet. Maybe it is b/c I was able to slide (drift) around most corners and could handle my little car.

-Ant.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:29 PM   #22
Tech Regular

Count me as a vote for the G4JR. Most LHS' won't stock a whole lot of parts for it but if online shopping is no biggie then you're set.
The GPX4 seems to be another great out of the box car but I'm partial to both the G4JR and the G4S RTR.

However, if it's bashing and playing around that's more what you're into, then an HPI RS4-3 is what you're probably looking for.

HB/LRP/KO Propo/Protek/Associated/Tekno
Chiefy 707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:29 AM   #23
Tech Rookie

Default BEST RTR

Hey fellas, you really want to know whats the best RTR. In my opinion its the Traxxas 4-tec. Not only its reliable, price is right, parts are cheap and sold every where and if you don't like the motor you can always change it like I did. Believe me I've got a 4tec, schumacher fusion, kyosho inferno, and x-ray nt1. The fusion is like a parking lot basher, its fast as hell, not for amateurs, and parts aren't cheap and can't upgrade to many things. The NT1 great all around car, but parts are hard to find. The Inferno, good car, but not to impressive for the price. Like I said the 4-tec you can always make into whatever u want. I have a 21tm with 1/8 scale foams and my bad boy kills the road. But the choice is always upto you.
CASH245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:31 PM   #24
Tech Adept

nd the reason is you will always be fight inferior servos and engines. rtr are desighned for some to play with not race. the good way is to pick your own equipment that way you can pick what you are willing to spend on the car