R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-20-2003, 09:49 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to 2mcgrath Send a message via Yahoo to 2mcgrath
Default got a question on steering and braking

hello my questions are....ok i have a rs4 3 ss and my steering keeps getting out of line...and i have adjusted it on the car 3 or 4 times to where the car goes straight and after a couple runs it veers to ethier the left or right...could it be a servo horn strippin wanted to check before i change it...ok and the other question is on my brakes i had those adjusted fine and ran the other day they worked great... about the 4th tank of fuel they went away to where i had no brakes at all...i tried adjusting on the car no matter how i adjusted them they didnt work at all..i tried on the radio to and no luck what could be causing this??? oh and i also checked the rotor and pads they looked allright...thanks richard
2mcgrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 10:31 PM   #2
Tag
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

make sure your servo horn matches your servo . You might want to open the servo to see if any stripped gear inside. if you have a hitec servo then it might be the problem also, as i have a few hitecs that does not center too well.
Old 10-20-2003, 10:37 PM   #3
Tech Addict

the servo's i have are futaba just standard servo's... this problem is just puzzling to me... last time i adjusted the steering it worked great went straight as an arrow but after a couple of runs started veering again and will do that everytime i adjust it...and the brakes have always worked great untill the other day when i was running they went completely away and adjustments dont do anything to them...
Old 10-20-2003, 10:45 PM   #4
Tag
Tech Master

well, it seems like you strain your servo too much, does your radio has end point adjustment ? set your max servo throw and fine tune it with Dual rate..
you might have stripped your servos, open the servo case and see if any stripped gear.
Old 10-20-2003, 10:48 PM   #5
Tag
Tech Master

if your servo indeed stripped, instead of getting parts i would recommend a high torqe servo preferably metal gear..
Old 10-20-2003, 11:37 PM   #6
Tech Adept

check for bindings too...if your steering is binding, the servo won't center...on the brakes...check the brake pads if they're still stuc on the callipers and check the thingy (i dunno what it's called but its the one that pushes the brake pads together to clip the rotor ) that pushes the pads together and/or check you're servo horn for stripped teeth too...too much strain will stripp ur servo horn or gears...like what tag said...if you have spare cash go get some metal gear servos
Los1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 11:43 PM   #7
Tech Initiate

You might want to check your servo saver. If its worn, it could be causing play in the steering. First, I would simply check for any play in the steering itself. Try to move the front wheels side to side, and see if there is any play (any movement without the servo moving.) If there is, then your problem is not the servo.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 06:44 AM   #8
Tech Initiate

Are you running foam tires?

When running on foams the left or right foam (depending o track layot, how many right or left turns) will decrease in size faster pulling your car to eather direction
czotalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 08:26 AM   #9
Tech Addict

thanks for all the help guys...im running the hpi x pattern tires...i just wanted to get some opions before tearing into this thing thanks...oh and my radio is the futaba t2phka so yeah i can do the fine tuning adjustments with it...i can set it where the servo wont pull as hard which every way i want...i have been using these things set on 10 max....
Old 10-21-2003, 10:09 PM   #10
Tech Addict

after taking the car apart and looking at things i noticed a bellcrank bushing to be gone...i am gonna ditch the stock bell crank and go to aluminum and bearings...and after taking the brakes apart i found the rotor to be worn pretty bad so i am gonna try a vented one this time
Old 10-22-2003, 09:19 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to bodigat

Quote:
Originally posted by 2mcgrath
after taking the car apart and looking at things i noticed a bellcrank bushing to be gone...i am gonna ditch the stock bell crank and go to aluminum and bearings...and after taking the brakes apart i found the rotor to be worn pretty bad so i am gonna try a vented one this time
Dont buy the alum HB steering bellcrank. Just use the stock steering bellcrank and change the bushing to bearing. I regreted of buying the alum bellcrank from HB. It's so sloppy and the car wont run straight. After i change back to the stock setup with bearing.... everything went just fine.

But HB dual evnted disc brake that cme with the rubber pas is the best around. Can run allday long without loosing any brake capabalities. Try it.
Old 10-23-2003, 08:44 AM   #12
Tech Addict

hey man any idea what size the bearings are that i need for the steering??so it is sloppy and the stock works better?? what if you just change the steering bar to aluminum and leave the bell cranks plastic...
Old 11-21-2003, 06:54 PM   #13
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Slotmachine
Thumbs up Ward!!!!!

Hey Ward....were`nt you a little hard on the BEEV last night?
Old 11-21-2003, 07:28 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Default got a question on steering and braking

2mcgrath;

HPI's are notorious for having sloppy Steering linkages.

Bearings instead of the bushing will help.

Removing the center link and replacing it with some 'Rocket City' Ball Links and Threaded Rod will correct the slop there.

If you are using the Servo Saver from the kit. These tend to get sticky from dust and will cause centering problems. A quality saver from 'Racers Edge', 'Kimburough', etc. will be much better.
(Make sure you get one to match your servo splines)

Futaba standard Servos are usually quite good and I have never noticed centering problems when I used them in the past.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote