Wiki Posts
Search

JLR Starter Box

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 07:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default JLR Starter Box

I asked this a while back but im cant find mind answer now. I am going with the JLR starter box due to size and prize for my 1/10 nitro. I have the mtx4r. Does anyone have an opinion on this starter box. Does it have enough power. It does work with a mtx4r correct?

thanks
Old 12-30-2008, 08:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hello crewman, I use the mugen starter box and very happy with that one, but if I had to buy another one besides mugen it would be a JLR, it's perfect for the job. It's also a little cheeper. We sell them in our shop and alot of guys use them at our track. Mugen or JLR works perfect.

Billy
www.speedworldraceway.com
Old 12-30-2008, 08:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

It will work and it will have the power to start up even new engines. In my own opinion, as I have said in other starterbox threads, the best starter box design for me is the one where the entire platform moves downwards and thats when the flywheel meets the motor. I have seen too many problems with the type of starterbox where the just back of the car sits on a very small platform.

With proper time to start up an engine you wont have any trouble with the small platform type... But if your pitman is restarting your engine during a main, trust me, the fastest is the complete platform type.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:37 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Riketsu
It will work and it will have the power to start up even new engines. In my own opinion, as I have said in other starterbox threads, the best starter box design for me is the one where the entire platform moves downwards and thats when the flywheel meets the motor. I have seen too many problems with the type of starterbox where the just back of the car sits on a very small platform.

With proper time to start up an engine you wont have any trouble with the small platform type... But if your pitman is restarting your engine during a main, trust me, the fastest is the complete platform type.
So what you are saying is that on the smaller starter boxes it is harder to get the car lined up over the starter wheel?
Old 12-30-2008, 09:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default JR starter box

Originally Posted by CREWMAN
So what you are saying is that on the smaller starter boxes it is harder to get the car lined up over the starter wheel?
I have two of the JR starter boxes.
One for my RRRs and one for my MTX4R. I run a Novarossi modified 12+3 in the MTX4r, and this thing was tight when it was new, but the box had no problems spinning the engine, even when it was new.
I also have two of the larger boxes for my 1/8th scale cars, and they work just as well.
I got very tired of lugging around the old starter boxes with the 12 volt sealed batteries, but with the small boxes and battery packs, they are much lighter, and so far have worked out great.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Crewman,
I have a one, I wouldn't trade it for nothing, Great power with 2 stick packs. Even starting fresh motors.. not a problem. Just take your time when building it and center your flywheel up on the bump box wheel & it's GOLDEN.
A Couple of friends use them with the MRX-4x's and have no issues.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:43 PM
Tech Master

thanks guys you made my desion easy
Old 12-30-2008, 04:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Crewman,

Funny you ask this. I also was searching for a new box for my Mugen. I picked up the JLR over the holiday. I have it with two 5000 MAH stick packs. It is awesome. I have not tried it on a brand new motor yet, but it spins my Red Dot with no problem. I will let you know when I break in my nova 353. So far so good for this box.