Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Please Help!!! new  HPI RS3 EVO+ >

Please Help!!! new HPI RS3 EVO+

Please Help!!! new HPI RS3 EVO+

Old 12-30-2008, 07:07 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Please Help!!! new HPI RS3 EVO+

Hopefully someone can help me... I bought a HPI RS3 EVO+ nitro RC car today first nitro got many electric decided to try it. Got all the neccesary gear fuel glow ignitor. Get it home charge everything up so tonight i decide i will try and break it in. It starts and runs first thing off and sits there and idles for the break in for about 2 minutes then makes loud noise and dies. Now it won't crank it won't turn over at all like the motor locked up. I have removed glow plug and tried cranking won't budge. Is it something i did or do some motors just come with a defect. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 12-30-2008, 08:10 PM
Tech Initiate

Default my 2 cents

sounds to me like you got a bad engine, probably the rod or end of crank broke and locked it up, take engine off and pull it apart and see what you find
Old 12-30-2008, 09:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

sounds like piston lock the best thing to do is get some heat into it get a heat gun on it heat it up get it nice and hot be sure to aim the heat around the cooling head and be careful not to burn your self
when you get to around 200c+ which you can measure with a digital thermometre you should now be able to crank it, make sure you fuel is new and has the correct oil content!! you may also be able to turn the flywheel when you heat it up see how you go if not take the back plate off and take a look dont use anything metal in there to move anything only use the handle end of a toothbrush plastic wont scratch? all new engines are tight and when you run it and leave the piston at tdc and when it cools you will be in trouble with piston lock always turn your fly wheel so you get the piston cooling at bdc.
goodluck

Last edited by aussies1129; 12-31-2008 at 01:56 AM.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:38 AM
Tech Initiate

sorry if what I first posted scared you, but my friend had a brand new team associated engine that did the same thing you discribed and when he pulled it apart the rod had snapped and ruined the engine, hopefully that isnt the case with urs, but it does happen
Old 12-31-2008, 01:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cupton79
sorry if what I first posted scared you, but my friend had a brand new team associated engine that did the same thing you discribed and when he pulled it apart the rod had snapped and ruined the engine, hopefully that isnt the case with urs, but it does happen
to check this just take off the backplate and you can see if there is any damage to the conrod.
cheers