R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-20-2003, 04:14 AM   #16
Tech Elite
 
spawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: SydNeeeeY
Posts: 4,559
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Oooophs, a little bit late. Missed this post of yours...

Glad it worked well for you. So the question now is when it it going to be run in or which car is this engine going to find home...
errr..... yeah, I am still contemplating whether I should save up for a new car or just get a second hand car......in the meantime it will sit in my store room.



Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Cool info spawn. Thanks. Did you check the spray bars to see if they are the same diameter? Perhaps if you're daring and adventurous enough, put the low speed needle of the NSR into your RS and see what happens...

Did you check the dimensions of the sleeve ports to see if there is any difference? Any difference on the exhaust port height? What about the crankshaft intake window? The opening width different? The most ideal it to put both of these engines on a degree turning wheel to locate the differences in their opening, exhaust, induction etc.
The sleeve looks exactly the same (will check again when I have the proper tool) but I did not measure the crankshaft timing because I do not have a good set of calipers. I am going to try to open my RS12 carb up soon and test it out with the NSR12 needles.
spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 04:21 AM   #17
Tech Prophet
 
InitialD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MORDOR
Posts: 19,679
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by spawn
errr..... yeah, I am still contemplating whether I should save up for a new car or just get a second hand car......in the meantime it will sit in my store room.
Well, if your store room is too full of stuff, you're always welcome to use my store room. Besides, I have a good set of calipers with me... I'll measure the sleeve and crankshaft holes for ya.

Quote:
Originally posted by spawn
I am going to try to open my RS12 carb up soon and test it out with the NSR12 needles.
Interesting. Keep us posted.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 10:15 AM   #18
Tech Elite
 
spawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: SydNeeeeY
Posts: 4,559
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Well, if your store room is too full of stuff, you're always welcome to use my store room. Besides, I have a good set of calipers with me... I'll measure the sleeve and crankshaft holes for ya.



Interesting. Keep us posted.
I will think about it , anyway do you know how much a digital caliper would cost? and also where can I get it?
spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 11:14 AM   #19
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 277
Send a message via ICQ to lawndoggie Send a message via Yahoo to lawndoggie
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by spawn
I will think about it , anyway do you know how much a digital caliper would cost? and also where can I get it?
I bought mine in HK for 35 USD. Its a UPM. Get one at places that sell switches/screw drivers/batteries/electronic stuff hardware store. They sell these things much lower than hobby shops.
lawndoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 11:44 AM   #20
Tech Elite
 
EdwardN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,144
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by spawn
piston comparison
From what I see on the pic for pistons, I can tell you right a way, the wrist pin install differently, on one has hole looks to buster on other looks to exhaust. This si create a lot of difference (at list in my understanding). I prefer and I do always-install wrist pin with hole looks to exhaust ( there is reason for it).
Also the height of the scirts look differently too-there is some difference.
__________________
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 11:50 AM   #21
Tech Elite
 
EdwardN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,144
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by spawn

I did not measure the crankshaft timing because I do not have a good set of calipers. I am going to try to open my RS12 carb up soon and test it out with the NSR12 needles.
I will sugest to use protractor for mesuring timing, caliper will not help you a lot. Protractor you can find in any office supply store, I got mine from home improvment store (Home Depot)-$ 1.99
__________________
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 08:41 PM   #22
Tech Prophet
 
InitialD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MORDOR
Posts: 19,679
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Top Gun 777
I prefer and I do always-install wrist pin with hole looks to exhaust ( there is reason for it).
For lubrication purposes?

Quote:
Originally posted by Top Gun 777
Also the height of the scirts look differently too-there is some difference.
How does the piston skirt affect the performance? Helps preserve fresh fuel during scavenging?
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 08:39 AM   #23
Tech Elite
 
EdwardN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,144
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
For lubrication purposes?



How does the piston skirt affect the performance? Helps preserve fresh fuel during scavenging?
No, it is not for lubrication it is related to cranckcase volume, I don't want to have extra not-working volume.
I don't do skirts on my designs, but I am assuming they make it to remove extra friction on the bottom-it does not need there-no sealing. I use other way to achive this issue. I have bigger tappering on the bottom of the sleeve (actualy there are three tapper set ups on the sleeve)
__________________
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 09:59 PM   #24
Tech Prophet
 
InitialD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MORDOR
Posts: 19,679
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Top Gun 777
No, it is not for lubrication it is related to cranckcase volume, I don't want to have extra not-working volume.
I don't do skirts on my designs, but I am assuming they make it to remove extra friction on the bottom-it does not need there-no sealing. I use other way to achive this issue. I have bigger tappering on the bottom of the sleeve (actualy there are three tapper set ups on the sleeve)
Thanks for the cool information Ed. I notice that you do not have skirtings on the pics of the piston you posted.

p/s: I sent you a PM yesterday. Did you receive it?
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NIB Novarossi nsr12s5 rcmike R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 10 08-01-2005 10:53 AM
F/S New NSR12S5 Leadfinger R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 3 05-08-2004 08:37 AM
Nsr12s5 Leadfinger Nitro On-Road 11 11-13-2003 08:08 AM
New JP RS12T5S1 for sale GT-4 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 8 06-13-2003 01:31 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:40 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net