R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-11-2008, 08:48 PM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks guys. I will do some Research and find out what is a good car and engine. I think I would like to try a Mugen MRX4X and I dont know what would be a good Motor for the money???? Twister Tires seem Reasonably priced. $13.00 pr pair.
dmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 12:27 AM   #17
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

Try to get a deal with other drivers at the track. There are always guys throwing away tires which you can use for 1 or 2 heats (or even more).

2 or 3 sets a day is overrated, in some cases with clubraces I can do it on 1 set or I am starting with an used set which calculates 1.5 set of tires a race.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:54 AM   #18
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Send a message via MSN to Pooh2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatter View Post
Thanks guys. I will do some Research and find out what is a good car and engine. I think I would like to try a Mugen MRX4X and I dont know what would be a good Motor for the money???? Twister Tires seem Reasonably priced. $13.00 pr pair.
When it comes 2 an engine mayb u should try a hotmod engine! They r VERY fast and a great price.

"Since the Bible and the church are obviously mistaken in telling us where we came from, how can we trust them to tell us where we are going"?
Pooh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 03:09 AM   #19
Tech Champion

Weekly 1/8 on road racing is still cheaper than 1/8 off road racing.

Initial cost 1/8 on road racing is way more expensive than 1/8 off road. On road's engine, pipe, servos, and chassis are usually more expensive than off road's.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:45 AM   #20
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darint View Post
Tire wear is highly dependent on the track. When I raced at the Toledo track for the last few years, tire wear was exceptionally low (1mm - 30 minute main) However, several other tracks in the area ranged from 3-10mm wear in a 30 minute main.

At the end of the day, the cost is what you make it. If you want to run at the edge (high temps, trued "small" tires and the latest "hop-up or bling"), then 1/8th will likely be extremely expensive.

On the other hand, keeping the kit stock, buying a "good" not MONSTER motor, and you'll likely enjoy a great season of racing with a substantially reduced expense.

To many racers spend money to go fast (me included), rather than spending money on fuel, and simply practicing how to race and set-up the car to go faster.

I agree 101% with what this guy sez. I have always found it amusing that there are so many "experts" in onroad racing expense in the off road community. Fact is probably 90% of them have never seen an on road race much less raced in one.
JVStrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:30 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
Try to get a deal with other drivers at the track. There are always guys throwing away tires which you can use for 1 or 2 heats (or even more).

2 or 3 sets a day is overrated, in some cases with clubraces I can do it on 1 set or I am starting with an used set which calculates 1.5 set of tires a race.
You have not run at some of the track here in America. There are some that are smooth as a baby's bottom with good traction and minimum tire wear. Then, there are others that are like running on cheese graters or 10 grit sandpaper. That is why I stated that you could go through two to three sets per raceday. We have two tracks that can handle 1/8th scale onroad in Texas and when they first opened, going through 2+ sets of tires was the norm. Now, it is not so bad but if you run as hard as the guys do here, you can still run through a set or two very easily.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote