R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-09-2008, 05:33 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default PICCO P9R EVO2

Does someone have a manual for a PICCO P9R EVO2 engine, or know where I can doanload one from. I can't find one anywhere.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:59 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

What do you need? These guys should be able to help you.

http://www.kamikazetoysandhobbies.com/home.htm
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:23 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Thanks I have tried these guys, but they didn't have a manual but gave me some helpful info. I need a manual for the factory needle settings and part numbers as I believe there are three differnt size throats and I don't have them.

Regards
Old 12-09-2008, 06:31 PM   #4
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16skyline View Post
Does someone have a manual for a PICCO P9R EVO2 engine, or know where I can doanload one from. I can't find one anywhere.
I have the manual for the Picco P9R, I can give it to you for free, but shipping to Australia you will need to pay, and the charge for shipping is always based on a minimum of 1 pound, I don't know if you need anything else just to optimise the shipping.
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:15 PM   #5
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Thanks I have tried these guys, but they didn't have a manual but gave me some helpful info. I need a manual for the factory needle settings and part numbers as I believe there are three differnt size throats and I don't have them.

Regards
I have my manual right here for my P9REvo3. There are no factory base settings in the guide. I also have the Picco JLR .12 and the manual is the same. A small 3x4 booklet of 7 pages.

Base settings mean nothing, I guess they figure if you buying a race bread engine you can tune it to run peak performance. I had to retune mine today. Outside temps are about 45% colder than the last time I ran it, but I was itching for the smell of nitro

Just bring her up to running temp, richen the HS a full turn and the LS half turn, test and race tune from there. I use 1/hr increments on my Picco's. They have so much power..easy to get locked on a run well.

Here are the part #s from the included Technical Data Sheet. It says P7-R.21, but I guess they are all the same.

#6329 complete carb
#6327 7mm venturi
#6328 8mm venturi
#6319 9mm venturi

#6239 venturi o-ring

anymore and I can scan the sheet, but the #'s are small bro. Hope this helps.
OutlawIGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:35 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Apart from tuning what else could cause a flat spot when you accelerate, I have had off road engines for a while but I have never had this much trouble with a engine.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:47 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

WHat do you mean "a flatspot"? Does it start accelarating and then stops and then it goes again? Or does it take a lot of throtle to start moving?

Please explain.
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:30 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I always start with flush on the high speed and a 1/2 turn out from flush on the low.
-R2- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:10 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Take a bit to start moving and then cuts out.

Question what is the best percentage/oil fuel mix to use for this motor?
Old 12-10-2008, 11:22 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I have never had one of the engines but a couple of lads at the club did.
They are the biggest prick of engine to tune, they hold a tune for 2 laps max.
They nearly pulled there hair out let alone throw away their season trying to tune these piccos, they then threw them in the bin and bought Novarossis and have never looked back.

The manual will never help you tune an engine.

Mugen Seiki
Max Power Engines GRP Tires Nitro X Fuels "Mugen Blend"
www.rrcsa.org.au
PROVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:25 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Take a bit to start moving and then cuts out.

Question what is the best percentage/oil fuel mix to use for this motor?
10% oil 25% Nitro

Let an expert tuner at your local club try and tune it for you

Mugen Seiki
Max Power Engines GRP Tires Nitro X Fuels "Mugen Blend"
www.rrcsa.org.au
PROVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:35 PM   #12
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

one surprising thing for me was how overcompressed these were. (maybe these were shimmed for 15%nitro?)

locally most run 30% nitro and this generally means an extra 0.1mm shim.
but this engine worked well with an extra 0.3 . (total of .6mm shims)
if you are running 25% you might try adding 0.2shims (total of 0.5) and see how you like it.
avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:39 AM   #13
Tech Adept

PROBLEM SOLVED

It was the fuel I was running 20% with 18% oil. Changed to 25% 12% oil what a difference that has made tuned up fine and what a rocket. Didn't think I was that bad at tuning.

Thanks to evryone that has helped
Old 12-11-2008, 10:18 AM   #14
Tech Initiate

Go up to 30% and don't look back. I have both the Picco P9R and the JLR.12 and broke mine in and run them on 30% with the Picco medium turbo plug and both engines are beasts modded by AB mods. No tunning issues and holds it. Will run right with the Nova's and you can get 2 for the price of one.

Just run the right fuel and right plug and you will be fine. Most of the problems guys have is user error. Glad you fihured it out bro. Enjoy it.
OutlawIGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:19 PM   #15
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I have some advice for anyone having issues trying to tune a Picco engine... This does not apply to every Picco engine tuning issue, but it definitely is a problem that will pop up on many of the engines........

first thing is Picco uses coated aluminum for the carb slide, unlike most engines that use steel... The issue with aluminum is it has a greater expansion when heated, what this means is when the carb slide gets heat soaked it tends to expand a fair amount, which results in the LSN being pushed slightly deeper into the needle housing/venturi ... So the hotter the slide gets the leaner the LSN setting will get.... The key to a Picco is to let the motor fully wamr up before you even attempt to tune it, as a rule on a cold start the Picco will run very rich on the LSN, but as the slide warms up and expands the LSN tune will lean itself out...many people attempt to tune the LSN when its cold and will find after a couple of laps the LSN setting gets very lean, causing you to chase a tune.... The key is to be patient and let everything heat soak before you even worry about the tune on the LSN..

Another problem is these carbs are very prone to airleaks.... You will very often find the needles will leak once everything gets up to temp, even the idle needle can leak at times.... to counteract this I use and recommend permatex high temp thread sealant http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...ad_Sealant.htm

All you do is apply the paste to the threads on the HSN,LSN as well as the idle screw......You would not beleive the difference this can make on some of the engines, it is like night and day

Another area of concern is the actual carb body at the seam between the composite core and the metal end bell, similar to the older GO carbs.... What happens is once the carb gets heat soaked that seam will start to separate and cause a air leak.. This can be the most frustrating thing to deal with as its not a visible leak, and will only appear once the carb gets heat soaked, and the hotter the carb gets the worse the leak becomes... I use Lucky 7 sealant and coat the outside of the seam, once again on some carbs this can make a world of difference.

here is a picture of the seam I am talking about, i have applied a strip of masking tape to simulate where I put a bead of Lucky7

Now not every carb will have these issues, but as a rule these fixxes take all of 5 minutes and can in some cases make a world of differences in how a Picco will tune and hold a tune....First sogn of a tuning issue with a Picco is almost always a airleak in the carb, so I just go ahead and seal all of my Picco carbs right off the bat..
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote