R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-12-2003, 07:53 PM   #16
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Ah10 Send a message via AIM to Ah10 Send a message via Yahoo to Ah10
Default Re: looking for good engine..new in nitro

Quote:
Originally posted by Los1Fan
i'm trying to get into nitro racing and i dunno which engine to get....some of the racers in my lhs have the black pixi...didn't know what kind but when i look at trinitys website..there's like 5 kinds of black pixi engines....i dunno which one to get...i'm still learning how to tune engines...but i want a good engine to start with that will make me competitive on the track...car will be an ofna LD3...any suggestion....my budget for engine is 250....if anywone could suggest a diffrent engine on that price range or lower would be great...thnx
The new NS series is a good starting pointing! are you going to race or just run the car at track? because first you need to decide 3 ports or 5 ports well anyhow

NS12S3--------3 ports
NSR12S3------3 ports (newer version, micro cast piston)

NS12S5--------5 ports
NSR12S5------5 ports (newer version, micro cast piston)

Now if you want the fastest and badest 5 port then go for NovaMax. but this one is in the north side of $300

Check with www.justrc.com I know he has all the above mentioned engine instock. and the NS series mentioned above, he has them in stock.

or email him at [email protected]
Ah10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 10:28 PM   #17
Tech Addict

For a beginner I would suggest OS engines, get the OSTR(3port) or OSTR(P)(5port). Both engines are fast enough, very easy to break in and tune. If you plan to race in the future, personally I tried SIRIO ABC bolted in my ntc3 and this one is really fast and has lot of torque. The newer version SIRIO AAC is also something to look into.
thefuzzclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 10:51 PM   #18
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mckrooz

Quote:
Originally posted by dino.tw
You are lucky guy.There must have some veterans helping you,right?
Nope. No one helped me. I would go to the track and just stay to myself as there were guys there who had their own little clique. I actually learned alot on boards like this.
mckrooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 12:37 AM   #19
Tech Regular

Quote:
Nope. No one helped me. I would go to the track and just stay to myself as there were guys there who had their own little clique. I actually learned alot on boards like this.

Research is you best chance good solid info is your best friend.....
Been Reading and Reading Sucking it up and spitting it out starting to get a foggy picture now but its a picture.....
Fisher890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 07:08 PM   #20
Tech Adept

ok guys..i just found my car...a friend sold me one of his tc3 for 100 bucks...team kit...good condition..i know 'cause i set-up his chasis...anyways...he told me to get a fantom fr12 engine...now....i went to fantom and saw a fr12 side and rear exhaust....rotary and slide carb....which one do i need??...is this engine roar legal...what about the pipe what kind of pipe do i need?...glow plugs?....there's too many questions it's breaking my head apart...anyways...how about clutch, centax??? flywheel...gears??...this is gonna me my first try....and i need help 'cause races are going to be this sunday and i still need to break-in the motor...how?..i dunno...friend said 4 tanks idling then 4 tanks running but not full throtle...or until i use up half of the galon?...servos?.,.do i need fast servo on the throtle/brake control? i'm a big brake user....talking about brakes..is there a brake kit thats very tough (i mean long lasting) yet gives me good brakes......there's still a lot of things...i'm going shopping this wendsday and i need help...i just wanna compare your answers guys to the locals...its gonna be confusing but thats where it will all start...i can already hear the engine roaring and screaming...vrrooomm.....can't wait to put everything together and start puling the trigger
Los1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 07:23 PM   #21
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to corvettecrazy

ok I can help you with one.

for break in I would go with 6-8 tanks(more doesn't hurt anything) then got with about 4 varying from 0 to 3/8ths throttle. that should get you pretty close to 1 quart of fuel and the rest i would say go a little easy but tune it up and have a blast!

definately check this page and these links out: http://www.nitrohouse.com/tech_tips.htm

and the articles here(pick the nitro ones and READ THEM twice if not 3 times): http://www.rccaraction.com/rc/articles/index.asp
corvettecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 07:35 PM   #22
Tech Adept

i have another question..on the bottom and top needle..whats the relation between this too..and what is the effect on the engine on each needle?
Old 10-13-2003, 07:45 PM   #23
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by corvettecrazy
ok I can help you with one.

for break in I would go with 6-8 tanks(more doesn't hurt anything) then got with about 4 varying from 0 to 3/8ths throttle. that should get you pretty close to 1 quart of fuel and the rest i would say go a little easy but tune it up and have a blast!

definately check this page and these links out: http://www.nitrohouse.com/tech_tips.htm

and the articles here(pick the nitro ones and READ THEM twice if not 3 times): http://www.rccaraction.com/rc/articles/index.asp
i was reading this site (http://www.nitrohouse.com/tech_tips.htm[/url]) and i won't understand it..it doesnt have any pics...i dunno which needle is he talking about...err...high speed needle?? bottome end needle..what the heck are those or where?....sry to be dumb...i uess i'lll have to get the car first to see it...but it's ok..i'll ask around...friend will help me tune it anyways....
Old 10-13-2003, 09:30 PM   #24
Tech Regular

check this site about carbs
http://www.rcnitro.com/rn/articles/carburetor.asp
penggoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 07:57 AM   #25
Tech Adept

thnx...that was clearer...
Old 10-14-2003, 09:18 AM   #26
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to mtx3racer Send a message via AIM to mtx3racer

Get the Pixi 5pt. I run that and its FAST!!! I know its 289 at lhs but get it on ebay or order from FLEX-RC (188) Great engine
mtx3racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 11:13 PM   #27
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by mtx3racer
Get the Pixi 5pt. I run that and its FAST!!! I know its 289 at lhs but get it on ebay or order from FLEX-RC (188) Great engine
could get that 129$ easy...anyways....i already got engine....i figured since it's my first engine...i might screw it up so i bought a nova mega sx-12..what do u guys think of that?....friend said its ok for a start...now i just need to put it together...still have more question....friend gave me a pipe with the tc3..i think its the pipe that came with the kit....is that ok or do i need a better pipe?...on the clutch...whats the difference between the kit stock and the centax?...and how do i know if its the kit stock or centax...i didnt ask him cause i forgot...thnx for all the help guys
Old 10-14-2003, 11:26 PM   #28
Tech Adept

by the way....what temp do i have to run my engine for optimum performance w/o over heating?
Old 10-15-2003, 02:24 PM   #29
Tech Fanatic

I have been told around 220-250. Lower is better, but the engine doesn't start to perform well until you get to 200 degrees. But dont go over 250 if you can help it. It will help the engine to last longer.
alucard13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 06:23 PM   #30
Tech Adept

ok thnx..now i just need to learn tunning...how the main needle, high speed and bottom needle affect engine...so much things to learn...