R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Looking for a FIRST Nitro RC Car.....Need some assistance (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/25635-looking-first-nitro-rc-car-need-some-assistance.html)

UNITED_RC 10-08-2003 09:45 AM

Looking for a FIRST Nitro RC Car.....Need some assistance

Hey everyone...great site..first time i have been here.

Anyway...a little background...I currently am into the MICRO RS4 scene, and sell products for the cars (www.unitedrc.com).

I am looking to purchase a 1.10th scale nitro car to fool around with. I do not know where to start!

Here is some info that might help you assist me with some decisions:

1. I do not plan on racing, just bashing around in my court and to tinker with

2. I have had 3 T-Maxxes in the past, so I am familiar with Nitro and the differences between it and electrics.

3. I have an extra Futaba 2ch FM radio sitting in my garage. Also a matching Futaba RX.

So...should i look at getting a kit or RTR (because of beginer value)?

I am looking at HPI, but what other MFGR should i be looking at?

Regaring the HPI models..i am currently looking at:

1. HPI Nitro RS4 3 RTR w/Lamborghini Murcielago
or
2. HPI RS4 Super Nitro w/Toyota GT-1 Body
or
3. HPI Nitro RS4 3 Type SS Kit w/Saleen S7R Body

Again..i am not set on HPI, but I can get killer prices (dealer) on all hpi stuff...so that is why i started with them.

THank you for all your help
You can email me if you would [email protected]

bighurt98 10-08-2003 10:03 AM

In the Atlanta area?

First off, you are from ATL. Where do you live?

I know you said you are bashing, but for racing, novice or expert, you have Toys for Boys in Marietta and the Sugar Bowl in Sugar Hill, GA out toward Buford and up I-85.

As for a car:

1. What parts does your local hobby shop keep in stock?
2. What is your Buget?
3. Are you wanting to upgrade?
4. Will you ever consider racing instead of bashing?

These need answered, but for having fun and the ability to upgrade and consider racing, RTR TC3 is your best bet. If you have servos and controller, maybe look at a factory team kit to put together. Majority of upgrades are included in kit.

HPI is a good car and good to bash with, but if you decide to move to a higher level, the cars you mentioned are lacking. HPI has a R40 kit which is an excellent race kit, but it should be raced, not Bashed!

Hope this helps,

I race at TFB, and Fernando has a novice class for the new drivers. Best part, you can always get help from Fernando or Gaby or ask any of the regular expert drivers. Everyone are willing to help you get better.

Later,

Bighurt

Mugen Seiki Power
MTX - 3
Futaba

UNITED_RC 10-08-2003 01:38 PM

BH,

Hey.....I am located in Gwinnett County...so Sugarbowl is the closest to me.

No racing at all! I dont have time for it. Running United RC, Inc. and my reg. job, plus Wife and 2 year-old....oh yea then there is my Tigermoth Airplane, and my HellCat plane (currently being built).....so as you can see my time is very precious!

Ok...now for the answers to your questions:

1. Local Hobby Shops: The only one I trust is Hobbytown in Duluth. We have another local hobby shop, but they SUCK! Poor ass customer service, and WAY OVER priced! I like to shop online as well....its all about the bottom line for me....the cheaper i can find it...the more I can buy! :) Also, I am an HPI dealer...so I get all HPI stuff for very cheap! Like a R40 for $250!

2. Budget: Somewhere under $300. Like I said above..the cheaper I can get it...the better. Most of the HPI kits are around mid 200's...so that is a great starting point.

3. Upgrades: Well to be honest...i am not sure what would need to be upgraded. Now in the Micro market...that is another story, but on the 1.10th scale...I am not sure. I tend to upgrade when I break stuff....since i bash...it does not really make sense for me to upgrade right away. The only thing that i could think of are these two things (tell me if I am off): 1. Pipe (nitro), and 2. 2-speed (if the kit does not come with it).

4. Racing vs. Bashing: NO...not really offically. Maybe a buddy (like you) but never organized....i just can not commit that much of scheduled time to do it.

So....let me present this to you....

The R40, like I said can get it for $250.00. But i would need:

Radio (already have!)
Engine: What would be a good engine for this car?
Body: NO big deal here.

Or should i just look at one of the kits that includes a motor, etc...but no radio/servos/etc???

UNITED_RC 10-08-2003 01:42 PM

Shoot...just looking at the engine costs to go with the R40, it looks like that would be another $150....so that might be out of the question.

So...???

bighurt98 10-08-2003 02:09 PM

Motors choices???

Check the STS outlaw engine from calandra racing. Online, you can find it from oversea for a BUY IT NOW! @ $120.00. This is a 5 port modified from the factory.

Again, If you are going to play, any of the cars you listed are good, but I was thinking ahead if you got the racing NEEDS!!

The RS4 Type 3 SS is the best kit besides the R40.

The nitro star is super quick and is great for around the neighborhood.

Always consider the TC3 RTR, you can do so much to this car if needed.

If you want a great engine, $150

MT12
Sirio .12 3 port ABC

These are probably the best $150 motor available besides the STS. After that, the prices due go up!

bighurt

theRED5 10-08-2003 02:35 PM

Bashing vs Racing

I see your into R/C airplanes as well as cars. Have you ever gone flying when there's noone else there? It's not much fun. Just like running a car around in the street. But when you add the comraderie of the other guys and gals at the track, ( and{to me} the biggest difference in planes and cars) COMPETITION:D , and the sharing of knowledge on getting the cars to run their best, Racing beats Bashing, ANYDAY.:nod:

But I understand time limits. We race at the 'Bowl every Sunday, and they race at Fernando's ("Toys for Boys" in Kennesaw) every Saturday. Racing is where its at !!

Evwery reccomendation I can think of is for a racecar, so I'll refrain. But I do invite you up to the track (the Sugarbowl), to see what real racecars can do, in a pack, at top speed.:D :nod: :lol:

UNITED_RC 10-08-2003 05:43 PM

Re: Bashing vs Racing

Originally posted by theRED5
I see your into R/C airplanes as well as cars. Have you ever gone flying when there's noone else there? It's not much fun. Just like running a car around in the street. But when you add the comraderie of the other guys and gals at the track, ( and{to me} the biggest difference in planes and cars) COMPETITION:D , and the sharing of knowledge on getting the cars to run their best, Racing beats Bashing, ANYDAY.:nod:

But I understand time limits. We race at the 'Bowl every Sunday, and they race at Fernando's ("Toys for Boys" in Kennesaw) every Saturday. Racing is where its at !!

Evwery reccomendation I can think of is for a racecar, so I'll refrain. But I do invite you up to the track (the Sugarbowl), to see what real racecars can do, in a pack, at top speed.:D :nod: :lol:

RED,

I completely agree with you...but I do like flying by myself sometimes...it relaxes me! Call me crazy..but I do understand your points on the comradary....point well taken.

Ok....last question for you guys......the only MAJOR hopup that i can think of that I would be interested in (famous last words in the rc hobby) is upgrading to a .21 engine in a car. Can you do that and in what cars?

bighurt98 10-09-2003 07:40 AM

larger motor?

Most 1/10 scale cars can take a .15 engine, but not a .21. The .21 is for a 1/8 scale car.

Really, you shouldn't need a larger engine for you sedan. The Sirio .12 from the factory is rated at 1.4 hp.
The MT12 is about 1.1 or 1.2.

Most new RC drivers talk about speed. "How fast it will it go?"
All of the kits can be made to go 60 plus mph in a straight line or drag with the proper gearing to the car.

Speed is a over used term in RC.

Handling and acceleration are more important on most race tracks unless the track is a monster with long straights and then it becomes important with these two.

But again, this is for racing. Since you are bashing, there is no need to get a bigger engine even over the RTR engine because because most newbies can not handle the power the RTR motor will put to the ground let alone a serious race motor.

As Reds said, working with other drivers to make your car go faster, talking about driving techniques, plus proper suspension adjustments and all the little techs to enable you to race faster is as much fun as racing if you truely enjoy RC.

bighurt

UNITED_RC 10-09-2003 09:06 AM

Thank you everyone for your help.

Due to my ability to get HPI parts at a discount, I have decided to stick with HPI (for future upgrades and replacement parts).

I have also decided to go with the HPI Nitro RS4 3 Type SS Kit. Since I already have an FM Radio/RX. I think the only thing i would need to get is two servos. Which....leads me to this question:

What would be a good "middle-grade" servo to get for steering and throttle?

Thank you everyone!!!

Jon

bighurt98 10-09-2003 01:24 PM

Servos?

Get servos that work with your controller.

If you can, get metal gears with 60 to 80 oz torque and work at 4.8 V because your battery for the HPI I believe uses 4 AA batteries.

Good Luck and maybe we will see you sometime at the Bowl or TFB.

bighurt

UNITED_RC 10-09-2003 02:50 PM

Yea..you will see me up there hopefully! When doest the season end? or does it?

I have narrowed it down to either of these:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCTE4&P=7

or

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSE76&P=7

But..on the super version (2nd), it says that I need this: "...4 cell battery holder and on-off switch" Where do you get one of these?

Is one better than the other, in your opinion? Thanks for all your help Bighurt!