Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MTX 5

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 11:50 PM
Tech Rookie

What is the reason for the carbon discs?
Old 09-20-2011, 12:49 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by aaron w
Minimum wind turbulance inside wheel.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:40 AM
Tech Regular

mayb to protect the wheel from damage if hard crash
Old 09-20-2011, 10:03 AM
Tech Regular

Wheel more stable due to no air inside rim.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Any air that can enter under the body shell will cause lift. The carbon disc help prevent air from entering thru the wheel well.

Pass you soon...
Old 09-20-2011, 01:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by asw7576
Minimum wind turbulance inside wheel.
Originally Posted by ABGDjr
mayb to protect the wheel from damage if hard crash
Originally Posted by nikoskar
Wheel more stable due to no air inside rim.
Originally Posted by lil-bump
Any air that can enter under the body shell will cause lift. The carbon disc help prevent air from entering thru the wheel well.

Pass you soon...
Yeap, what they said. Man thats an ugly serpent...
Old 09-20-2011, 01:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MugenDrew
Yeap, what they said. Man thats an ugly serpent...

It's not ugly... It's mean
Old 09-20-2011, 05:51 PM
Tech Rookie

cool
Old 09-21-2011, 03:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

someone told me that an MTX5 owner at my track busted a two speed at a recent race day.

***clarified after chookg had a nervous breakdown:
my large pinion was making contact with my large spur when the clutch was pushed out, so i spaced the large spur outwards a bit

clutch bell fully out

Last edited by TomB; 09-21-2011 at 05:58 AM.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:26 AM
Tech Champion

also i have a question about the clutch setup.

i noticed that when i built the clutch as per instructions the bell would hit the shoe quite heavily when i tried to spin the bell.

is this ok?

or should i shim the bell out until it spins freely without hitting the shoe?....

and then shim it for end play?
Old 09-21-2011, 03:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TomB
someone told me that an MTX5 owner at my track busted a two speed at a recent race day.

i was installing the engine, and i noticed that the second gear could potentially hit the first pinion. I've shimmed my larger gear (1st gear i think) further out on the shaft. I shimmed it so that it reaches the edge of where the E clip inserts onto the shaft.

In the two speed box I also used a long grub screw instead of the short grub screw and ball as in the instructions. From what i understand this was a trick users did with the mtx4 to avoid gear stripping.

hopefully htese two ideas/tips minimise stripping fo the gears.

here are some pictures of the clutch bell in all the way and pushed out all the way, notice the smaller gear does not touch the smaller pinion, i think this is what might cause gear stripping sometimes.

clutch bell fully out

Thomas this post makes no sense at all as the 2nd gear spur can not possibly make contact with the much smaller diameter 1st gear pinion and the new 2 speed has a roller instead of a ball for a much improved 2 speed action, nice pics though
Old 09-21-2011, 03:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

i noticed that when i built the clutch as per instructions the bell would hit the shoe quite heavily when i tried to spin the bell.

is this ok?

or should i shim the bell out until it spins freely without hitting the shoe?....

another strange post, may i suggest you re-read the instructions, as the clutch i built as per the instructions spins freely, although i reduced my end float from .5 to .3
Old 09-21-2011, 05:50 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Mazda614
Anyone noticed that when the throttle / brake is applied that the engine /chassis flex back and forth. Is this supposed to happen or I have set something up incorrectly. Routing the battery leads is a pain everything is so tight, but the servo tray is a great idea very easy to remove. Still haven't worked out how to get to the front belt easily
Mazda, i've just installed my engine i noticed this also, i made sure the carby pivot ball was not touching the tank at full extension, that the throttle end point was not excessive or that anything else was binding, but it still did it.

ChookGreg, i double checked the clutch, the clutch shoe wasn't seated right this is why it was binding. i was used to the xray clutch shoe which just sat in the pressure plate, i didn't realise the mtx5 shoe went pressed into the pressure plate.

Chook, thanks for the patronising help it's guys like you that make forum use really easy and approachable.

PS: chookgreg I might have gotten the gears mixed up, what i mean was when the clutch is pushed out the big pinion can make contact with the big spur....is that clearer? For your information my big pinion made contact with my big spur when the clutch was in full extension...sorry for the lack of technical knowledge of the gears. I hope that eases your anger and dismay at my original post Chook
Old 09-21-2011, 06:17 AM
Tech Elite

Mazda, i've just installed my engine i noticed this also, i made sure the carby pivot ball was not touching the tank at full extension, that the throttle end point was not excessive or that anything else was binding, but it still did it.

ChookGreg, i double checked the clutch, the clutch shoe wasn't seated right this is why it was binding. i was used to the xray clutch shoe which just sat in the pressure plate, i didn't realise the mtx5 shoe went pressed into the pressure plate.

Chook, thanks for the patronising help it's guys like you that make forum use really easy and approachable.

PS: chookgreg I might have gotten the gears mixed up, what i mean was when the clutch is pushed out the big pinion can make contact with the big spur....is that clearer? For your information my big pinion made contact with my big spur when the clutch was in full extension...sorry for the lack of technical knowledge of the gears. I hope that eases your anger and dismay at my original post Chook

What he's trying to say is with the clutchbell full extended his 2nd gear pinion would hit the 1st gear spur.

Pass you soon...
Old 09-21-2011, 07:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

is this ok?

check nt1 setup book regarding centax adjustment, if done correctly you shouldnt have
enough movement to have a situation where the pinion hits the spur

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.