R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-25-2008, 08:29 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default engine mantainance

can i use WD-40 in cleaning the carb and internals of the engine?
chadflorenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:35 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu

Yes, I usually use WD-40 to clean and leave the internals soaked in it to prevent corrosion. When I go to start the engine, it takes a few seconds to clear out, but its all good. Thats my experience with it.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:40 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

It's alright the problem is the mixture of whatever's in the WD40 can make some o-ring swell. It may or may not make the particular kind of o-rings in your carb and/or motor swell but that's the reason why I don't use it. I stay with denatured alcohol, let completely dry, and then a lot of after run oil.
Derby Bros Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:47 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

tnx a lot!
Old 11-25-2008, 08:55 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

We recommend as the best way to maintain your engine on top shape to dump the fuel in your tank wen you're ready to go home and then start your engine to burn the fuel in the fuel line and the inside of the engine until the engine doesn't start anymore and then ad a few drops of after run oil and run the engine for 5 seconds to spread the oil on the motor.

All the fuel with no exception will oxidize your engine if you leave the fuel in the tank since the nitromethane is a high oxidizer component of every fuel.

Just clear your tank and engine of fuel and you should be fine.
maxysfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:00 AM   #6
afm
Tech Master

Also if your engine has a silicone ramp in the crankshaft, WD40 in spray will destroy it, because the impelent used is butane, which affects certain rubbers and silicones......you can use WD40 not in spray though, as anti rust after you have cleaned the engine. I use brake cleaner spray, which doesn´t affect rubbers..

AFM
afm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:08 AM   #7
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxysfuel View Post
We recommend as the best way to maintain your engine on top shape to dump the fuel in your tank wen you're ready to go home and then start your engine to burn the fuel in the fuel line and the inside of the engine until the engine doesn't start anymore and then ad a few drops of after run oil and run the engine for 5 seconds to spread the oil on the motor.

All the fuel with no exception will oxidize your engine if you leave the fuel in the tank since the nitromethane is a high oxidizer component of every fuel.

Just clear your tank and engine of fuel and you should be fine.
forgive me for being naive,but what's "after run oil"?
Old 11-25-2008, 09:49 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadflorenda View Post
forgive me for being naive,but what's "after run oil"?

Not a naive question at all. It is oil use to leave in the motor while it is sitting till the next time you use the motor. Any good quality oil will work. Some company's actually have after run oil. Maxy's fuel is one of the them. But any good oil will work. It is also a cheap way to maintain your motor for a long time.

DJ Apolaro
Old 11-25-2008, 03:19 PM   #9
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

if im not running for a while i run a good amount (two carby inlets full) of after run. i use automatic transmission fluid as after run.
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:45 AM   #10
Tech Rookie

if and when u decide to run the engine again,would you jst let the after run oil burn together w/ the fuel?how will it affect the initial starting and running of the engine?worse,its effect in the long run?
Old 11-26-2008, 03:15 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
if and when u decide to run the engine again,would you jst let the after run oil burn together w/ the fuel?how will it affect the initial starting and running of the engine?worse,its effect in the long run?
Yes it will just burn on the first couple of minutes and the only thing that you will see is a little more of smoke than usual while it burns it out but with no effect on the performance it will actually be burnt even before you put the car on the track
maxysfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 02:31 AM   #12
M7H
Tech Elite

But clean out the engine, before starting it the next time, by putting it on the starterbox for a few seconds, without a glowplug installed, to get the afterrun out and the fuel in....
Old 11-27-2008, 08:28 AM   #13
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
can i use WD-40 in cleaning the carb and internals of the engine?

the wd-40 is to bad for the crankshaft because the red silicon is come out, the best way is clean the engine inside with brakeclenar and after that you can put oil for engine easy and long life to your engine.

ciao
gianni
serpentmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 11:55 AM   #14
Tech Rookie

in particular,what brand of internal engine cleaner and after run oil do you use?
Old 11-27-2008, 02:00 PM   #15
afm
Tech Master

I use 3M High Power Brake Cleaner PN 08880 for internals and externals of engine.

For after run oil, I use any 2 stroke mineral oil used to amke mixture on motorcycles and karts I.E Castrol 2 stroke.....

Stay away from synthetic oils, because not all synthetics mix with methanol and/or nitro...unless specifically expressed so in their specs.

AFM
afm is offline   Reply With Quote