R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-12-2008, 11:39 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLOARTIST 702 View Post
OMG this is awsome this is a wild fire with the wind blowing i better get a beer for this one damn interesting got me beat by a long shot I MUST ADMIT ALL THIS IS MAKING ME MOIST
Solo!!!! After reading your posts, the idea of you consuming alcohol is down right frightening.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:48 AM   #17
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrodude View Post
First of all, stop following me around on the threads. Second, hackers with multiple user accounts using other peoples pictures in their avatarts will be ignored, as of this post.
you're talking about yourself??? don't feel bad you're going to get a taste of your own medicine if that's how you like to play
Old 11-12-2008, 11:56 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

On a completely unrelated note, while many of us were racing this weekend, Marc Cruz and his wife welcomed their new healthy son into the world. Everybody say hello to Jacob Cruz!!

Hopefully we will see him driving a new RRR EVO 5.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:03 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to SOLOARTIST 702

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Fisher View Post
Solo!!!! After reading your posts, the idea of you consuming alcohol is down right frightening.
i might have to miss a day of work if this thread continues to grow & its looking promising whats up BILL
RC AMERICA / XRAY / HUDY/ MATRIX TIRES /KOPROPO / ORCAN GT3 /RED CUP RACING MEMBER / SPEEWORLD RACEWAY/ A+ performance parts /IVE SEEN THE XRAY TEAM DRIVE SO I GOT XRAY CARS / better to keep up than to catch up

WILLIAM PENDERGRASS
SOLOARTIST 702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:11 PM   #20
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Fisher View Post
On a completely unrelated note, while many of us were racing this weekend, Marc Cruz and his wife welcomed their new healthy son into the world. Everybody say hello to Jacob Cruz!!

Hopefully we will see him driving a new RRR EVO 5.
Congrats Mark
Vaughn
carkillaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:15 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Well-------congrates Mr. Cruz now back to throwing bows,cause you guys are exciting to read I'm spinning in my chair.
-R2- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:26 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Weekend in Vegas,

Quote:
i might have to miss a day of work if this thread continues to grow & its looking promising whats up BILL
How the hell is ya?? I am just hanging back reading all of these posts.
What we have here is little Knotts Landing
Old 11-12-2008, 01:05 PM   #23
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Danny, if you have ever run an event like this, I am shocked you would be so insulting. If you haven't ever run this type of event, then that novel length post is coming out your backside. Yes, I was there and I drove a considerable distance to be there. I spent money like everyone and I felt Rich's pain when the rain came. That is all part of racing and all of us as racers should show a little respect for the people who provide it for us. Thanks to all who worked hard to make it happen. I did know Ron Paris, and he would be proud to have his name on this event.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:53 PM   #24
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Vegas

WOW....I have been racing a long time. I remember the day when we would go to a race and if there was a problem, we would ALL pitch in to fix it.
One time in particular 4 or 5 years ago in Vegas, a sandstorm/windstorm came up and blew dirt and sand all over the track making it un-drivable. Many people (who have a passion for racing) aka Sal and Robert and many others went out to the rescue with brooms, two by fours with wet rags on it and literally drug the track to help. And NO, they were not the race operators. Just people who love to RACE!
Guys! Lend a hand, not a pointing finger. Support the racing we love.
The last thing we need is to pile dirt on this track too!
speedracer1bp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:10 PM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Old 11-12-2008, 03:16 PM   #26
Tech Regular

Quote:
OMG this is awsome this is a wild fire with the wind blowing i better get a beer for this one damn interesting got me beat by a long shot I MUST ADMIT ALL THIS IS MAKING ME MOIST
Hahahahahahahahaha, your crazy dogg....

"Free your mind, and your ass will follow"...
Loveless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:06 PM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Danny, I love ya man, but I gotta disagree with you on this one. Yes Rich has his moments, and maybe he is not the nicest-people friendly person, but he is putting in a lot of hard work and he and his crew run a smooth race program.

Rich chooses not to post sign up lists. Why is this a problem for everyone? How did people choose whether or not to go to a race before race hosts started putting sign up lists online? Also, most people do not pre-enter the races and instead sign up trackside. I know at this race Rich had about 35 or 40 pre entries, and everyone else signed up trackside. Add to that the fact that Rich removed the late fee from the race fee, which means there was no penalty for signing up late. Maybe he should re-instate a late fee and everyone can pay more to sign up trackside.

You are absolutely right that the Vegas race turnouts have been dropping off over the past few years. My first Vegas race was in 1998, run by MARCAR. There must have been over 150 people at that race. I also remember a time when the Texas Biggie would fill up (they had about 20 people this year), the ROAR Sedan Nats would fill up (9 heats total this year?), the ROAR 1/8th Nats would fill up, and the list goes on and on. Even off road racing and electric racing turnouts are dropping. Is Rich to blame for the poor turnouts in Vegas? Maybe he is partly to blame for turning some off from coming back, but I donít think it is fair to blast him and place the blame squarely on him. As for the RAMS and MARCAR, both clubs have had their ups and downs over the years. MARCAR stopped running races this year entirely (see www.marcar.org). There was a second club in Vegas (remember Speedworld?) but that did not go far. Maybe they should come back and hold races.

Regarding the track conditions, I thought they were just fine. Sure your shoes would not stick to the track and cars were not traction rolling in the morning, but the track was very much drivable and I turned some 18.9's, which I have never done before. It is not true that the track has not been used since April, as there has been several test and tune sessions since then, and the track is on county property, so anyone can drive on it just about any day. Yes, the track was not as clean as we are used to, but Rich and his crew did spend several hours prepping the track (blowing, vacuuming, spraying VHT) on Thursday (I was there I saw), not to mention the track was the same for everyone. In other words, the track had not been neglected and many hours of work had gone into bringing the track into reasonable condition. I think here in LA we are spoiled and every time we want more traction, we go out and spray the track some more. The rain on Sunday morning was accompanied with wind, which as you have seen in yearís past, is all that is needed to mess with the track conditions. The A mains at the 01 ROAR Nats in Vegas (which was run by the RAMS I believe) had to be called because of a wind storm which covered the track with a layer of dust. Before the wind storm hit, the track was as clean and sticky as could be. No one blamed Rich Browne (who I remember giving it to T Rex) or the RAMS club for the dirty track. Letís not forget most parts of the world (including WCís) donít use VHT or other traction compounds on the track. Clean track or not, they race and adjust their cars as needed.

Sunday morning, we pulled up to the track around 8:30 to find Rich, his dad, Rusty, Craig, and Mike Braun working on the track. We pitched in as did a few others (Mark Klenin, Gus Wood, and anyone else I am forgetting) while most everyone else stood around and watched. I know you have been on this side of the fence- you bust your ass working on the track while everyone else does nothing except maybe complain). We did the best we could and instead of calling the race on qual results, a round of practice was given and mains were run. To get your car to work you had to work on your setup, thatís all. The track was not complete junk, it was certainly not great, but the same for everyone and good enough to run the mains on.

The rain during the mains (as well as the rain that morning) is in no oneís control. I was in both mains and IMO the rain was not heavy enough to warrant stoppage. Earlier this year it rained in the main at the Byron race in Illinois. The first time it rained (drizzled really) it lasted about a minute and went away. The second time it lasted a couple of minutes (very similar to the rain in Vegas) but the race continued until it really got bad and started a downpour at which point the race was called.

I am not sure if Rich ever met Ron Paris, but I donít think it is relevant. Most of the newer racers never met him either. I was fortunate enough to meet him and it was a lot of fun racing against his team drivers, and I think he would be happy to know the race is still being held in his honor. Maybe I am an exception, but I have never had issues with Rich. I know others who have and sometimes their gripe with him is reasonable and warranted. However, he and his crew work really hard to put on these races, and more often than not, their work is not appreciated. The fact is we really donít have a lot of places to race at. How many times has GLARCRC lost a location due to a noise complaint? CP is/was under pressure from the local government for not meeting zoning requirements. MARCAR stopped running races this year. Revelation (on road) closed as did SVM. I think even the RAMS club has stopped racing at some point in its 40 year history. We all have complained about each and every single one of these clubs and the people who run them. Dana never had enough parking and the bite was sometimes very strange. Glenn often showed up late to the track and races were compromised. Do we want all these people to stop doing what they are doing and close the tracks down? Then what?

I hope you and anyone else who left Vegas with a sour taste will take a moment, reconsider things, and attend future events there. Maybe we should all offer 20 minutes of our time to help make the races better? I know you put in your time at GLARCRC so you know how much work it takes. See you in a couple of weeks at GLARCRC TFTís.

Airtronics Avid RC Byron Fuels VOX Engines

VMR Tires - available at http://motonica.ipower.com/store
garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:52 PM   #28
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

+10 Garen!!!!!!

Doc
onerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:48 PM   #29
Tech Regular

Garen, Vegas dust storm, 2001 Nats!
Just Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:49 PM   #30
Tech Adept

+1 for Garen. While I understand everybody's point of view to a point, people must also understand that there are some things that simply can not be controlled. Yes, it did drizzle a bit during racing. Did some people want the race to be stopped at that point? Did they then expect their money back since they didn't run the main? What about the qualifying with the near perfect weather we had? Complaining about a loss of traction due to uncontrollable circumstances seems a bit out of hand and childish. Yes, I said 'childish'. Don't think that just because a little bit of moisture or dust gets on the track that you're the only one who has had their precious traction taken away from them. It affects every racer and still makes the 'playing field' even. If the track did seem a bit slippery then maybe driving styles needed to change. It certainly did for me. Once I changed my driving to a more mellow style I found that I had better lap times! So does more traction always give you better lap times? If someone traction rolled they would complain it had too much traction. So what's the right amount?

If you go back some 10-12 years or so when we used to race in Carson there wasn't much traction then. If I recall, we weren't even allowed to spray anything as the parking lot was borrowed. Look how far we've come, and look where we're going! There weren't that many tracks so long ago and at the rate that some people complain there might not be so many any longer. Some people complain that a track doesn't have the traction that they expect because one man is trying to do the whole thing himself with a limited crew that volunteer their time? Not really sure how that is a rational thought. Step over to another side of racing where the 1/8 Buggy Nats had NUMEROUS volunteers constantly watering the track and grooming it. They stepped up! Not only were drivers pleased, but they did have a lot of drivers there.

I know Rich has upset some people in the past, but they really need to get over it. Don't hate the player.... Hate the game. People say that Rich has caused classes to shrink? True, we used to have more people show up at races. There also used to be a lot of people driving electric sedans. What happened to the 200+ entries that would go to the Reedy Race of Champions? What ever happened to 1/10 4wd Open class? 1/10 Fuel Truck used to be huge as well, and ROAR is actually dropping the class from racing for '09 as well as monster truck class! Wasn't racing T-Maxxes one of the most popular classes? Don't blame one individual for a national occurence. Racing everywhere has diminished in all sorts of categories. The simple fact that there were almost 80 entries is a miracle in itself in this economy! Not to mention that 1/2 the entries were in 1/8 on road! One of the most expensive classes in radio control racing!

If a little bit of moisture is going to ruin your racing then be darn (don't want to cuss online) thankful you weren't running at the 1/8 Buggy Worlds where they DID have to race in muddy conditions, rain, wind, and every other non-cooperative weather situation you could think of. However, THEY RAN!

Personally, I'd like to thank everyone that 'stepped up' to help prepare the track for Sunday's Mains. I know a lot of people that had fun at that race, and if you happen to be one that did not then maybe a different outlook on this HOBBY is in order for you.
technazi is offline   Reply With Quote