R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-02-2008, 09:03 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default How To Make Your Own Foam Wheels??

Any one here ever made there one FOAM wheels??? something in the area od 40 shore???

im looking to find out HOW TO MAKE just the foam donouts does anyone have any insite?
Old 11-03-2008, 07:25 AM   #2
Tech Master

anyone???
Old 11-03-2008, 08:17 AM   #3
Tech Adept

If you have to ask, it's probably way beyond your competence level... but the tool used to cut foam donuts is similar to hole saw with 2 concentrical cutting blades, one for the inner, the other for the outer diameter. And the tools I have used didn't actually have teeth, but just sharpened edges. I assume teeth would work as well, after all we have teeth on our tire truer blades.
Of course you also need the material. And glue. And wheels. And true them down. And edge stickers, at least for the rears. And someone to take care of all that. Hardly worth all the effort, when perfectly good tires cost <10$/pair, glued to the wheel and stickers included...
olev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:28 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Well it's not too difficult, almost in cinch infact. You just get yourself some nice thick foam from your local uphoslterer, some razor blades, and plenty of beer and cut some donuts! The first couple won't come out too great and will be pretty horrible but after you gotten through 4-6 (beers), they'll start looking pretty good!
Wanabrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:22 PM   #5
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by olev View Post
If you have to ask, it's probably way beyond your competence level... but the tool used to cut foam donuts is similar to hole saw with 2 concentrical cutting blades, one for the inner, the other for the outer diameter. And the tools I have used didn't actually have teeth, but just sharpened edges. I assume teeth would work as well, after all we have teeth on our tire truer blades.
Of course you also need the material. And glue. And wheels. And true them down. And edge stickers, at least for the rears. And someone to take care of all that. Hardly worth all the effort, when perfectly good tires cost <10$/pair, glued to the wheel and stickers included...
that was not my question I know how to mount donuts on wheels and tru them I've done it a milliong times with my hudy station but what I need is it the chemical compound mix used to make the actual donut only in my own own custom size I plan on make foam monster truck tire wheels since the imex ones suck and there is no other options on the market

what I need to know is how to mix the things needed my make my own donuts
Old 11-03-2008, 02:26 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

Simpel:

- place the donut over the rim
- put a large screwdriver between the donut and the rim and make an opening.
- drop a lot of glue or kit into the hole (I used yellow slowzapp)
- hold the tire and move the screwdriver arround the rim, the glue will bee spread out.
- get something fast to hold the rim tight and rotate the rim in the tire so you can line out the sidewall of the tire to the rim
- wipe off the left over glue

If you want to do large numbers you can make a small machine.
Use something like a RC airplaine starter and mount a tube on the shaft which is bigger than the donut. If you place a donut into it and start the motor the donut will set itself to the wall of the tube by the rotation forces.
Then it is possible to shove in a rimm with a glue layer. Stop the motor, the donut will shrink again and set itself arround the rim.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:32 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I did a google search on this subject and didn't find much. Here is what I found.

http://www.rc-truckncar-tuning.com/rcfoamtire.html

This really just talks about the different compounds. Please post any info you find.

Good luck,
Joe
Joe Maxey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:42 PM   #8
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Maxey View Post
I did a google search on this subject and didn't find much. Here is what I found.

http://www.rc-truckncar-tuning.com/rcfoamtire.html

This really just talks about the different compounds. Please post any info you find.

Good luck,
Joe
Good artical!!!!!

Now if i can only get my hand on HOW TO make the foam itself id be set
Old 11-03-2008, 04:04 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Quote:
Yo Olev, whats the side sticker for, do they protect the tire at all?.

"Free your mind, and your ass will follow"...
Loveless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:24 AM   #10
Tech Master

?
Old 11-04-2008, 07:35 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Geez mate hope you know you will be taking on a massive project. Mu mate has made 8th circuit tires and 10th. He ha his masters in rubber technology and taken him about 8 years to produce tires. Mllions of chemicals, cure temps, humidty, also from what I can understand to get the rubber o foam is also a dog. Will post some pics of his tires, they were more rubber based than foam, so wear was awesome but I kept losing the rear end in the tight s`s. Got some fronts to work, we run a sealed track so it did not help the high rubber tire. Would like to see what they do on a very abbrasive track.

Good luck though
Old 11-07-2008, 09:14 AM   #12
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

How big of a tire do you want for a monster truck? I've talked to some who wants to race a HPI 5B onroad and he was going to get 1/4 scale tires adapted for it. Check his website

www.suhracing.com

Maybe this is what would fit your needs.
DogboneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:33 PM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to bigemike

why not call a tire manufacturer like bsr and ask for custom donuts in the compound you want. Very easy process for them and I am sure for $50 a donut they would make you some next time they cut a bunch of that same type of foam.

http://www.bsr-racing.com/about/

probably going to be your best shot, ask for monti or john
bigemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:25 AM   #14
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveless View Post
Yo Olev, whats the side sticker for, do they protect the tire at all?.
Yes they do, at least my experience seems to confirm that. Without the stickers they chunk more easily. The tire stickers are based on aluminium tape, so they are a bit tougher than vinyl or paper. The rears need this more than the fronts.

The original poster has now gone from making donuts to producing the foam itself... I'm afraid that's not something that can be taught over internet forum, people actually go to schools to learn about chemistry and production stuff. It's not quite as easy (and harmless) as baking a cake, although most people these days can't even do the latter...
olev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:35 PM   #15
Tech Master

Quote:
Yes they do, at least my experience seems to confirm that. Without the stickers they chunk more easily. The tire stickers are based on aluminium tape, so they are a bit tougher than vinyl or paper. The rears need this more than the fronts.

The original poster has now gone from making donuts to producing the foam itself... I'm afraid that's not something that can be taught over internet forum, people actually go to schools to learn about chemistry and production stuff. It's not quite as easy (and harmless) as baking a cake, although most people these days can't even do the latter...
If you RE READ the orginal question i asked was HOW TO MAKE THE FOAM DONUTS meaning HOW TO MAKE THE FOAM ITSELF i have not changed my question but for some reson people keep explaining how to mount a donut on a rim and thats NOT THE INFO im looking for, either way i already figured it out so i no longer need the info thanks to those that tryed