R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Differences between Front and Rear tires? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/25133-differences-between-front-rear-tires.html)

Tabushi 09-29-2003 04:07 PM

Differences between Front and Rear tires?

Hi guys ...

Somebody knows the differences between front and rear tires ?(foam).

Im starting to buy foam tires (usually here in Brasil we run rubber ones) and im having a hard time to find rear tires and i wonder if its the same if i run front 42shore front tires and at the rear FRONT 40shore tires ... The brands here are usually Elegi and Mugen fast Tires ...

thanks in advance.

rwjso 09-29-2003 06:49 PM

I'm not sure if all tire companies do but some of the front tires are usually narrower in width than the rears and the foam is different also. The front foam will be a more open pore foam where the rear it's a smaller more closed pore. Few ways to tell is the front tires will look rougher, rear tires smoother and when truing the front foams will be harder or put up more resistance when cutting. There is a handling difference between front and rear foams, the front compound will have less traction so if you ran fronts on the back of the car it will be looser, if you ran rear compound on the front of car it will steer more usually past point of being driven fast consistently or in need of some good setup changes to copensate.

tIANcI 09-29-2003 09:12 PM

Tabushi ... I tried to run front tires on the rear and its not possible to drive the car, the back will snap. Hence you will need 26mm front and 30 mm rears.

As for the shore I used to run f-42 r-40 like you or f-40 r-37, that is ok. Now I run f-40 and r-40 this gives me a much better balance and the car is more neutral.

TurnNBurn 09-30-2003 07:51 AM

tIANcI,

It is possible to run 26mm front and rear, it just depends on your chassis setup. rwjso is correct, the principal difference between a "front" and "Rear" tire is the foam density. Rears are just available in two different widths, because some setups require a little extra traction in the rear, and sometimes, it is more easily gained by increasing the contact patch in the rear, than by going to a softer compound, which results in greater wear.:)

Fura Fura 09-30-2003 08:34 AM

Whats up tabushi!!!!! beleza mano!!!!
i´ve tried the 26mm in rear and it didnt work in indaiatuba... even the trc tires wich is written on the top of the box that it could be used on front and rear.... even when i used 45shore in front and 35shore in rear... forget it dont waste your time and money doing it.....BTW when r you going to race here in Brazil again??? only in pre-worlds????? or in paulista champ?????... i know that the Jundiai Track will be amaizing!!!!!!

Tabushi 09-30-2003 12:51 PM

Wow Fura Fura ... !!! ... so much time without knowing anything about you ...

Im asking just to get info and learn ... when i run a couple of times at the BIG (Tatuape) track, i used ellegi tires Front 42's and Rears 40's, all in 26mm but with the front tires at front only and rear compound at the rears ... and wow !! ... the car run amazingly ... but as usual, it only need a better pilot hejejejje

About my return to Brazil ... i will flying back to Sao Paulo at October 16th so at 17th about 22.00hrs i will be at my apartment. In theory (i dont have any other news about it) the last stage of the regionals in Sao Paulo its that weekend, so i think i will get training day at Jundiai at saturday all day and race sunday ... do you know if the track will be ready ? ...

Other than that the life here SUCKS ... next weekend i got an invitation to visit Pegasus RC Club (www.pegaso.com.mx) ... i will be taking pictures during the race and will do some article for sixspeed.com.br ...

cya cabron !

Bobby Flack 09-30-2003 03:01 PM

JACO fronts and rears are not the same rubber. A 40 density front is a different rubber than a 40 density rear, besides the obvious width difference.

Solara 10-02-2003 12:47 PM

I am sure ALMOST all brand foam tires are like Jaco..........Front TIRES are not designed to use at the back.....front foams density/compound are different then the rear.........and I don't know what exactly is the differences, it is just different.

Not just for TC, 1/10 235mm and 1/8th foams are the same....(Ok, the width of the tires are given), but the foams for the front are not the same as rear.

so...keep using 26mm front and 30mm rear foam, no reason to not to.........it is not 1997 when a pair of foam tires for TC cost $40.00, and I still remembered the price for a set of foams are cost more then a full month of racing fee.

Tabushi 10-02-2003 02:49 PM

I feel my car running better on 26mm front and 26mm rear (ellegi have rear 26mm tires) ...

Now, on the cost, down here in southamerica several countries run on ruber tires, specially cause the cost of a pair of foams can be up high as US$ 30 ... and with abrasive tracks that eat your foams like a complete set every 55 minutes ... its a lot of money for us ...