R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-25-2009, 12:07 PM   #166
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

still dont understand the concept of using one...
if im driving my car and my front right wheel hits a divit or debris in the road the wheel will compress or popup so why would i want the left front wheel to do the same?
without the swaybar at least one wheel will stay planted to the ground.
has anyone tried running without the front swaybar on the team magic?
helivaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 01:03 PM   #167
Tech Regular

i have tryied it and the car was great but once i used thicker diff oils the car was not responding well so running with a sway. as for your previous comment the answer is simple you just wont and dont hit one if your running on a really bumpy track then its best not to use because of what you said. but if the track is medium to excelent in tarmac wise then a swaybar is surely used...
Old 01-25-2009, 03:37 PM   #168
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

one reason i know of about the swaybar is that so the car won't lean (roll)on one side as much like it would without one , keeps the car flat on the track.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:12 PM   #169
Tech Regular

Sway bars aren't exactly a necessity on the car, just a tuning option. Like other tuning options there are always compromises. Driver A might be a few hundreths faster running a sway bar while driver B might be slower doing the same.

As for me, I'm not a very good driver so I just keep mine at the factory setting. Since my bashing days I've always had one on my cars simply for that trick look!

HB/LRP/KO Propo/Protek/Associated/Tekno
Chiefy 707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:03 PM   #170
afm
Tech Master

Default ROLL BARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by helivaguy View Post
still dont understand the concept of using one...
if im driving my car and my front right wheel hits a divit or debris in the road the wheel will compress or popup so why would i want the left front wheel to do the same?
without the swaybar at least one wheel will stay planted to the ground.
has anyone tried running without the front swaybar on the team magic?
Roll Bars are secondary springs that are used only during cornering, and are used for fine tuning the balance of grip created by the roll of the vehicle. In many cases with RC cars they are not needed unless you cannot get your car stiff enough in the corners while keeping it from bouncing down the straights. Or you are having a problem with a tire lifting off the ground. If you are having a problem with a tire lifting put a roll bar on the opposite end of the car.

Touring car or road car roll bars are the simplest form of roll system. The system usually consisting of one bar at some diameter that connects to both the left and right suspension arms. When the suspension raises or lowers equally on each side the bar has no effect on the suspension of the vehicle. When the car rolls into a corner the bar has two effects the first effect is that the suspension gets a little harder on the outside of the vehicle due to the torsion affect of the bar. The second effect is that the bar will lift the inside tire off the ground which will level out the car and reduce the pressure placed on the outer tire. The leveling effect is what makes this system work.

This system works on the premise of reducing grip forces to equalize the balance of a vehicle. Due to the reduction of grip philosophy the use of this system can be out of place and cause more reductions than gains. The biggest gain that this system can make is to keep all four wheels on the ground.

When the suspension is set soft while cornering, a vehicle will have the tendency to dive under heavy braking and or squat under hard acceleration. When the car dives under braking, it can lift up the rear inside tire. This lifting of the tire is reducing a whole tire worth of grip through cornering. To get that tire back on the ground would be a big gain. To do this you would use a front anti roll bar. Using the front anti-roll bar to fix the problem on the rear works because of the nature of the system. Since the roll system lifts the inner tire to correct the roll of the car it also sets the rear inside tire closer to the ground or adds pressure at the rear. If the front roll bar lifts the inside tire enough (reduces outer front grip and roll) the inside rear tire will be placed back on the ground. Hard acceleration in a corner can have the same effect as hard braking but the exact opposite. The front tire will lift instead of the rear, putting a rear roll bar will correct this.

Once the larger problem of tire lifting is solved then you use the roll bars on the front and rear to achieve the correct roll to provide the optimum pressure to the tires that are being used. You can however limit the roll to much and this will reduce grip on the tires taking you out of the optimum settings. This type of roll system affects the ride height of the vehicle so compensations may have to be made in the straight line set-up to compensate.

Hope it helps
AFM
afm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:38 PM   #171
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

WOW.......... that was some good info mate, cheers
Old 01-31-2009, 01:34 AM   #172
Tech Regular

thanks afm, you really cleared it out
Old 01-31-2009, 05:17 AM   #173
Tech Master

thanks for clearing that up

any upgrades available from this older steering bellcrank?
cant keep this version away from the front belt.
Attached Thumbnails
Team Magic G4 + EVO-steering.jpg  
Old 01-31-2009, 07:14 AM   #174
Tech Regular

You can try switching to the single post setup:

G4S Single Bell Crank Steering System

HB/LRP/KO Propo/Protek/Associated/Tekno
Chiefy 707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:01 AM   #175
Tech Master

If you do that you may have to purchase a new front upper bulkhead brace that has the hole to accept the newer single bell crank system

Also, what does the back of the car look like? Can anyone post pics. The reason i'm asking is i am after a part number for the rear lower hinge pin brace (rear bumper), it's an original G4+ chassis but i can't seem to find a part number anywhere, the one off the RS doesn't fit so i was wondering if the one off the evo will
Old 01-31-2009, 08:10 AM   #176
Tech Master

i have the original g4 black magic with most current kfact upgrades.
Attached Thumbnails
Team Magic G4 + EVO-p1030327.jpg  
Old 01-31-2009, 08:28 AM   #177
Tech Master

rear view.
Attached Thumbnails
Team Magic G4 + EVO-dscf0008.jpg  
Old 01-31-2009, 07:06 PM   #178
Tech Master

Sweet, any chance i can get some of the evo though. I have a "black magic" aswell but the rear brace has only one hole on the widest setting so if your using the flying wing arms on the rear with the new sway bar set up you need to have them in the inside holes
Old 01-31-2009, 11:03 PM   #179
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyles View Post
Also, what does the back of the car look like? Can anyone post pics. The reason i'm asking is i am after a part number for the rear lower hinge pin brace (rear bumper), it's an original G4+ chassis but i can't seem to find a part number anywhere, the one off the RS doesn't fit so i was wondering if the one off the evo will
for the G4+, u need 502290 back bracket...
Old 02-01-2009, 03:04 AM   #180
Tech Master

Thanks Keavze your a champion