Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Is the DX3 sufficient to race with.. or go the DX3R route.. >

Is the DX3 sufficient to race with.. or go the DX3R route..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is the DX3 sufficient to race with.. or go the DX3R route..

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 08:59 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Is the DX3 sufficient to race with.. or go the DX3R route..

I am completely undecided as to to the DX3 route.. I have a 1 month old one I can purchase for 95 bucks

OR

get a DX3R new through a friend for 265 shipped..

I am new to racing, I have a NT1. The track I will be racing on is 200x95 feet.

please.. any insight would be great. I'm not sure if I should save my money for other things or if the DX3R is a must have.

also I will not need any more than 4 memory in the foreseeable future..

Thank You!

Jon
Old 10-30-2008, 12:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

if i'm u, i will give Ko propo or Futaba a shot.....

even you're new now but a good gun does act as important roles in your racing....i'm talking about long run now....1 shot get a good gun, you will never regret about it....

cheers!
Old 10-30-2008, 12:50 AM
Tech Addict

KO EX10, EX1 UR, 3PK, 4PK, DX3R or DX3S

any of the above will be sufficient...
Old 10-30-2008, 02:01 AM
Tech Master

No, the old DX3 is not enough. It's way too slow in communication between the radio and the car. You can't go wrong with Futaba 3PK or 4PK with 2.4 gHz FASST
Old 10-30-2008, 02:50 AM
Tech Lord

Bull.....

The DX3 is good enough to race with, the few miliseconds slower reaction time is nothing to be afraid of, even if you are an avarage racer. Also the (for onroad thoughts) slow servo's which are delivered with the DX3 are good enough to start with. When a servo has died you can take a look to faster servo's with 0.08 sec specs which will better the reaction time with 40milisecs compared to the original Spektrum sevo's.

Yes, if you have the budget enough it is wise to go with better systems which will have a better quality and looks more professional
Old 10-30-2008, 04:43 AM
Tech Master

Maybe on average but do you know how many glitches there are and so forth?

I know from the experience that my driving improved with a better radio. That was in offroad.

Believe or not. Or even better, try yourself.

Unless you're just bashing or don't take it "seriously" then why give other drivers the advantage?
Old 10-30-2008, 05:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

If you think your going to be in it for the long haul spend the extra money and get the higher end radio. But seeing you are new to racing;you won't be able to tell the difference. I bought a low end radio when I first starting racing and I regret it. I have since went thru 3 radio's. I am partial to the KO Helios myself.

Just remember to be patient,ask questions and have fun.

Pass you soon...

Last edited by lil-bump; 10-30-2008 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:54 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jman37
I am completely undecided as to to the DX3 route.. I have a 1 month old one I can purchase for 95 bucks

OR

get a DX3R new through a friend for 265 shipped..

I am new to racing, I have a NT1. The track I will be racing on is 200x95 feet.

please.. any insight would be great. I'm not sure if I should save my money for other things or if the DX3R is a must have.

also I will not need any more than 4 memory in the foreseeable future..

Thank You!

Jon

Hi Jon

I Own Both Radios & In My Opinion The DX3R Is The Way To Go. The DX3 Was The First Generation Of Spektrum DSM Radio's. When Spektrum Developed DSM Technology There Where Still Some Flaws In The System Mostly Due To Glitching (Signal Interference Between The Tranmitter & Receiver) These Glitching Problems Caused Many A Car To Take Off & Crash, Causing A Lot Of Damage To Your Vehicle & Even Worst Blown Motors, Which Added Up To Expensive Repairs.I Can Tell You This Because I Suffered Some Of These Repairs For Example: Broken Suspension Parts, Upper Decks, Bent Chassis, & Stressed Engine Connecting Rods Just To Name A Few.The Prices Of These Parts Totaled Around $200.00. Having Spent This Kind Of $$$ Made Me Seriously Think About Investing In A New Radio. Since Spektrum Was The Developer Of DSM Technology The Time Had Come For Them To ReVamp There Old DSM System. With The Birth Of The DX3R Came A New Generation Of DSM Technology DSM 2 Unlike The First Generation, ( Now Known As DSM 1) DSM 2 Offered A Virtual Bullet Proof Bond & Lightning Fast Response Time Between The Transmitter & Receiver Eliminating Radio Interference & Making The Driver Feel Even More Connected To His Vehicle.The Responsivness & Speed Of The DX3R Are Truley Amazing. ( If You Want More Info, Go To WWW.SpektrumRC.Com ) Now That I Own A DX3R It Would Take A Lot To Impress Me Before I Give It Up. So To Sum Up Your Decision You Can Look At It In 2 Ways. Do I Want To Spend $95.00 On The DX3 & The Rest Of My $$$$ On Fixing My Car & Being Frustrated Or Do I Want To Spend The $265.00 For The DX3R, Go Out Racing, Have Fun & Not Worry About Radio Problems Or COSTLY Repairs Due To Radio Problems & Believe Me The NT1 Will Cost YOU A BUNDLE TO REPAIR Especially When This Could Be Avoided.

Paul
Old 10-30-2008, 06:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

IMO, I think you will be fine with either. If I remember correctly, that DX3 is 2.4 DSM setup, which cuts out radio frequency conflicts and (in a perfect world) cuts glitching. It's got dual rates and EPA, which are the 2 biggest things you need to worry about adjusting at this point. So to start out, that DX3 will do you just fine.

If money was the issue, I would suggest going for that DX3, buying a better servo for your steering and using the 'race' servo that comes with the DX3 for your throttle. You'll get better results with a quality servo and OK radio than with a high end radio and standard servos.

As for the DX3R, it's a fine racing radio that can expand with you as your driving skills progress. Yes it looks a lot different than high end radios from Futaba, KO or Airtronics, but pros use it and win. I saw Scott Kinbrow win the Capital Classic and the 1/8 Scale Nationals using that DX3R. Then again, Scott could probably use the TQ3 system and win
Old 10-30-2008, 07:23 AM
Tech Adept

Wow, thanks for all the great advice. This is such a valuable asset of information that I am truly grateful for.

I decided to spend the $$$ and invest in the DX3R. I feel I will be involved in this hobby for a long time and will get great use out of this radio.

Thanks again to all for your time insight..

Jon
Old 10-30-2008, 07:44 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jman37
Wow, thanks for all the great advice. This is such a valuable asset of information that I am truly grateful for.

I decided to spend the $$$ and invest in the DX3R. I feel I will be involved in this hobby for a long time and will get great use out of this radio.

Thanks again to all for your time insight..

Jon
God choice. You won't be sorry. Just make sure that NT1 has a good set of servos and have fun driving!
Old 10-30-2008, 07:50 AM
Tech Adept

Yes.. nice segway there spenzalii..

The next on my list are servos..

I laid a thread on Electronics / Radio thread

But which Servos would you recoment for the NT1

I would like to stay under 150 bucks for them.

Thanks man
Old 10-30-2008, 08:01 AM
Tech Master

As with anything, you will get a zillion suggestions on what servos are great, what servos are crap, etc, be it Hitec, Futaba, KO, JR, etc. If you can find them at a good price, Futaba S9452s are a can't miss option. Plenty of people run them in 1/10 and 1/8 cars, and I can't remember seeing any complaints about them. Servo City has them for a bit more than you want to spend ($160 for 2), but they are well worth it

http://www.servocity.com/html/s9452.html

Last year, I ran Hitec servoes:

http://www.servocity.com/html/hs-562...tal_speed.html

Now, you will find some people say they're the bees knees, and other people say they're crap. I had zero problems out of mine. I had a set with their Karbonite gears that had a few issues 2 years ago, but they were replaced under warranty with no hassle.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:16 AM
Tech Adept

would you recommend getting a more expensive servo for your steering and a less expense on for throttle / brake?
Old 10-30-2008, 08:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I've had the Futaba 3pk, Airtronics M11, and Ko Propo Helios, all top knoch radios. I now only own 2 DX3R's (one for me, one for my daughter). They are head and shoulders above Spektrums first gen radio's. I get about 9hrs on one set of rechargeable batts. Another bonus is that you can use any Spektrum RX, say you buy a play around car, and dont want spend alot on the RX, you can get just a regular SR3000. My only small complaint is I wish it was backlite, but its such a lightly colored green screen, you can see it pretty well in dim light conditions. I usually get my RX's from losi parts wharehouse, they have some servo's too. I'd try to get a metal geared servo for steering, and its ok for a less expensive servo for throttle. Just try to get BB servo's, probably in the 70+ oz range on throttle, and I like 100+ oz's on the steering side.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.