R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-30-2008, 09:54 AM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to spenzalii

Eh, sort of. It's more critical to have a really good steering servo for steering than for the throttle/brake, so you could say that in a perfect world. I recommend going with a digital servo at least for the steering, as they are a bit more accurate and have better holding power than a comparable analog servo. In general, the faster the steering servo is, the better, as it will respond to your inputs faster. That said, if you're staring out, anywhere from .08 to .14 response time will do you fine. On the throttle, some people run digital servos there and some refuse, worrying they will burn out. I've seen it happen with either, so the choice is up to you. If you make sure to set your end points on the throttle servo correctly (making sure it doesn't try to overextend the carb or twist the chassis when you hit the brakes) then you shouldn't have a problem using either.

All of this long windedness is to say if you had to choose which to spend more money on, yes, spend it on the steering servo first.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:45 PM   #17
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Paul Sweeney
Default DX3 Verses DX3R

Hi Jon

Congratulations On Your Purchase Of The DX3R. You've Made A Good Choice IMO The DX3R Is Without A Doubt As Good As Any High End Radio. Most People Tend To Shy Away From It Because They Think It Looks Like A Cheap Piece Of Crap But Looks R Deceiving. The One Feature I Like About The DX3R: That I Have Yet To See On Other High End Radio In This Price Range Is The Ability To Adjust The Frame Rate (There Are 3 Frame Rates To Choose From 16.5 MS 11MS & 5.5 MS ). What The Frame Rate Does, Is Changes The Response Time It Takes For The Transmitter To Communicate With The Receiver Thus Causing The Servo's To React At Different Speeds In Other Words The Lower The Frame ( 5.5MS ) The Faster The Servo's Respond ( AKA Faster Steering, Throttle & Brake ) & The More You Feel In Touch With The Vehical. So In Essence You Can Definitly Say The DX3R Is A High Responce Radio When The Frame Rate Is Set To 5.5 MS. A Word Of Caution: The 5.5MS Frame Rate IS ONLY TO BE USED WITH DIGITAL SERVO'S & NOT ANALOG The DX3R Handles Both Analog & Digital Servos Well. So The Choice Is Yours. Yes Digital Servos Are Faster Than Analog BUT BE ADVISED THAT WHEN YOU USE THE 5.5 MS Frame Rate THE STEERING CAN BE VEEEERY TWITCHY So Very Little Movement On The Steering Wheel Is Strongly Advised. Assuming Your Level Of Driving Is Probably Beginner, I Would Start With 2 Good Analog Servo's. As Spenzalii & Hobbipro Stated, Buy Yourself A Good Analog Steering Servo & A Fairly Descent Analog Throttle & Brake Servo But Don't Go Too Cheap On The Throttle Servo Because This Will Also Be Your Braking Servo, & You Will Want A Servo With Good Torque To Hold Your Car When Braking. Also Pay Close Attention When Setting Up Your EPA ( End Play Adjustment ) On Both Servo's. To Much EPA Will Cause Your Servo's To Push Past There Turning Limit & Will Burn Them Out. On The DX3R, Your EPA Is Your Travel Adjustment. Just A Quick Note ALWAYS REMEMBER TO SHUT YOUR CAR OFF FIRST Then Your Transmitter, & The Opposite When Starting Your Vehicle (Transmitter Then Car ) & Purchase Some After Run Oil ( Sold In Most Hobby Shops That Sell RC ) When Your Race Day Is Over Dump The Fuel Out Of Your Gas Tank Restart Your Car & Let It Run Till It's Out Of Fuel Do This A Few Times Till The Car Won't Start This Will Get All The Fuel Out Of The Engine Crankcase. When This Is Done, Remove The Glow Plug & Put A Few Drops Of After Run Oil Into The Hole Where The Glow Plug Goes. Rotate the Engine Fly Wheel A Few Turns On The Bottom Of The Car & ReInstall The Glow Plug. The Oil Will Protect The Internal Components & Keep Your Engine From Rusting. Get Into Good Habits Take Your Time & Enjoy

Wecome To The World Of RC

Paul
Paul Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:24 PM   #18
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Paul,

Great advice, thanks for your time and insight. I have been searching and asking for the two best servos for me with my budget and experience in mind..

I'll deff keep ya posted.

helpful people, such as the ones who posted on this thread, are the means to making this hobby / sport bigger and better than ever, which is great for everybody.

Big ups to everyone!

Jon
jman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:01 AM   #19
Tech Regular

The DX3 and the DX3R both lack the features of a true top end TX and I think you will end up moving to the Sanwa M11 or 3PK (or similar) I use the 3PK with spektrum module.

In my opinion the DX3 at $95 is a bargain ... thats not much more than the price of the rx alone.... great way to get going ....

But thats just my opinion!!!!
getpip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:19 AM   #20
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by getpip View Post
The DX3 and the DX3R both lack the features of a true top end TX and I think you will end up moving to the Sanwa M11 or 3PK (or similar) I use the 3PK with spektrum module.

In my opinion the DX3 at $95 is a bargain ... thats not much more than the price of the rx alone.... great way to get going ....

But thats just my opinion!!!!
Out of curiosity, what is the DX3R missing that a M11 or 3PK has? The DX3 I can see, but looking over the manual for the DX3R, I don't see it, especially if you're just running 1/10 or 1/8
Old 10-31-2008, 08:45 AM   #21
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman37 View Post
would you recommend getting a more expensive servo for your steering and a less expense on for throttle / brake?
When it comes to Nitro I don't think it's a good idea to go cheap on either of the servos as the speeds you are traveling at are very fast and any malfunction with throttle or steering can be costly. I would get the Futaba 9452 servos for both steering and throttle. The 9452 is a high speed/high torque servo and can be had for around $85 bucks per servo relatively cheap for a digital servo yet very reliable. I myself use Kopropo in my Nt1 but if I was in need of new ones the 9452 would be the route I would take.

As for the dx3r. I just switched to it from a ko Helios and find it to be more then sufficient for racing and I race both electric and Nitro very competitively. I know there is a lot of top drivers using this radio such as Ray Darroch ,Mike Haynes ,Donny Lia , Kimbrow etc . It has every option I need If Its one thing I have learned in the 5 years I have been doing this its never try to save money on the electronic side of the Hobby as it's your connection to your vehicle. Like others said if you plan on staying with the hobby it will be best in the long run to by the better product as you will eventually look to upgrade from the lower end equipment.

AWESOMATIX USA-SANWA--BSR--TEAM SCREAM --SWEEP RACING USA--TQ WIRE--ROCHE USA--LRP
Sal Amato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:24 PM   #22
Tech Adept

i would go with the new model that is about to come out the dx3s it has onboard temp of motor and other thing i am going to put one on order
infernoman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:32 PM   #23
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Just purchased 2 9452's and a DX3R... wOOOOOt

...just wished I saw your post inferno, oh well Im sure ill be happy with the dx3r!!!
jman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:47 AM   #24
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The new DX3S is a sport version of the DX3R, it has the built in telementry, only 10 model memory, and is the older DSM technolgy, not DSM2 like the DX3R.
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:56 AM   #25
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman37 View Post
Paul,

Great advice, thanks for your time and insight. I have been searching and asking for the two best servos for me with my budget and experience in mind..

I'll deff keep ya posted.

helpful people, such as the ones who posted on this thread, are the means to making this hobby / sport bigger and better than ever, which is great for everybody.

Big ups to everyone!

Jon
Well said man, thats what helped me get going.

This past summer, here is what I ran in my gas car, and the current prices from where i got them:

Throttle servo:

Tower hobbies TS-160 digital

6.0V
Speed: 0.14 sec @ 60
Torque: 131 oz-in (9.43 kg/cm)
Length: 1.6" (41mm)
Width: 0.8" (20mm)
Height: 1.5" (38mm)
Weight: 2.1oz (60g)
Connector: Universal
Got from: guess where =), $92.58

Steering servo:

Hitec HS-5965MG High speed digital coreless
-(1.57" x 0.78" x 1.45" (40 x 20mm x 37mm)
-Torque: 111.08oz (8.0kg) @ 4.8V 132oz (10kg) @ 6.0V
-Speed: 0.13 sec @ 4.8V 0.10 sec @ 6.0V
-Weight: 2.18oz (62g)
-Lead Length: 12" (305mm).
Got from:tower hobbies, $89.99

These are two very good choices for a gas car (in my opinion) for the money. I use a Futaba S9452 digital coreless servo in my electric cyclone, here are the specs.

Speed: .11 sec/60 @ 6V
Torque: 127.8 oz-in @ 6V
(9.2 kg-cm @ 6V)
Weight: 1.76oz (50g)
Length: 1.57" (40mm)
Width: .8" (20mm)
Height: 1.32" (33.6mm)
got from: servo city, $79.99

HB Cyclone Moore Speed WCE Edition - HB/BMI Cyclone(foam)
Team Magic G4RS pwered by EB mods and O.S. engines
Little_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:05 AM   #26
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenzalii View Post
Out of curiosity, what is the DX3R missing that a M11 or 3PK has? The DX3 I can see, but looking over the manual for the DX3R, I don't see it, especially if you're just running 1/10 or 1/8
One thing that the 3pk has is you can control the servo speed. Not just the expo like the dx3r. I like that because if you change the expo to slow the servo down, it is not a linear response, it has a curve to the response. The 3pk allows you to change the servo speed wich if your servo is too fast and you tend to oversteer, by slowing the speed of the servo it gives you a linear response unlike using expo. By far that one setting gives Futaba the advantage over any radio that dosen't have that setting. IMO
VA_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:49 PM   #27
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_Racer View Post
One thing that the 3pk has is you can control the servo speed. Not just the expo like the dx3r. I like that because if you change the expo to slow the servo down, it is not a linear response, it has a curve to the response. The 3pk allows you to change the servo speed wich if your servo is too fast and you tend to oversteer, by slowing the speed of the servo it gives you a linear response unlike using expo. By far that one setting gives Futaba the advantage over any radio that dosen't have that setting. IMO
The DX3R actually does the same thing. You can adjust the frame rate for the servos as well
Old 11-01-2008, 11:31 PM   #28
Tech Regular

Just my .02 but I went with Associated DS1313 servos for my DX3R. They're the same thing as the Ace R/C digital servos. Mainly because at my club I like being an oddball and run things different than everyone else. Also, from a purely aesthetic point of view they look really killer!

Anywhichway you go, digital servos with a DX3R are a killer combo.
Chiefy 707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:32 AM   #29
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenzalii View Post
The DX3R actually does the same thing. You can adjust the frame rate for the servos as well
Did not know that! Huh learn something new everyday.
VA_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:12 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_Racer View Post
Did not know that! Huh learn something new everyday.
Actually frame rate is not the same servo speed. My Helios has servo speed. You can adjust the servo speed for different channels. Frame rate would be an over all speed. But I've never used this feature.
Don't worry; the Dx3r is a fine radio; and it will do everything you NEED to do with a radio. I held one at my local hobby store; and that radio is light has a feather and feels great. I would have no problem using one of these radios. I already have a top end radio; and see no need to change at this time. Feel proud of your purchase
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo

Last edited by lil-bump; 11-02-2008 at 08:39 AM.
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote