R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-21-2002, 07:56 PM   #46
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to adelmundo Send a message via AIM to adelmundo

Quote:
Originally posted by Motorman
Well adle you know I would like to go into that in detail but thats like sending paris or collari an email asking them the nunbers and details they use. Tuners are ambiguious purposely or they wouldn't have anything to do. I will say that their is definatley room to grow in there.
One of the reasons I don't is I had a problem before that turned out disasterous for a few individuals when I gave them more information than they needed to be dangerous and they royally screwed the pooch and it was an ugly mess between them. You may remember that.
But thanks for the interest. get the book! then start making changes one thing at a time and see what they do. Write it down and make a log of your findings. Use precision tools to measure what you do and soon you will start to understand what each thing contributes or does not. This is the only to get good at it. You will screw more than a few up but if you really want to know that is the only way as everyone's theorys are different and none are wrong they just have different results. some good some bad.
Thank you Dennis *bowing down*. I have seen your work from the performance of the engines people have bought from you, and by looking at the work you do on the sleeves, crankshaft, etc. and I must say your engines are "works of art". You are the man!

I tried to go to the library today to find the book unfortunately they were close due to the MLK holiday, but i will try again tomorrow. The book is totally out of print, so I'll try other methods to obtain the book.
adelmundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 12:02 PM   #47
Tech Initiate

Thanks to this thread, I went and picked up the Collari XS12RTSGS5 at my LHS (I was very surprised that they had it!).

I haven't run it yet, and I probably won't until next week, but I am very impressed with the build quality. I have a couple of questions, though.

1. I noticed that the carb inlet is smaller than the Nova based carb on my Mugen MT-12. I am using a 15mm base Motorsaver filter on my MT-12, which I love. I accidentally bought a 10mm base 0.12 Motorsaver filter, which doesn't fit the Collari very well. After measuring the carb inlet with my calipers, I found it to be 11.75mm. Will an 11mm base Motorsaver filter fit, or will it be too small as well? If it's too small, what filters are you guys using?

2. I have heard of people installing tapered (without altering the fuel jet size) Nova carbs on Collari engines for an increase in power, at the expense of fuel economy. Do you guys think that would be an advantage on this engine (that would at least solve my filter decision!)? The stock Collari carb is already tapered, but its overall dimensions are smaller than the Nova carb. I was just thinking that a larger filter, coupled with a larger carb (tapered with same fuel jet) would allow the engine to breath much better. Any opinions?

3. Anyone interested in a 10mm base Motorsaver filter? I have a brand new one for sale!!

Thanks!
71dsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 04:55 PM   #48
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Billy, let me know how the engine goes. I can't wait to try either the Collari or RB along with the Serpent gearbox.

Can we say spppeeeed?
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 05:49 PM   #49
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Rodger
the collari engine is imported and distributed by RC Imports. They have the exclusive. The collari engine is not a collari modified but a collari engine assembled and spec'd by collari and the parts are manufactured by picco and some other manufacturers.

Other manufacturers engines modified by collari are distributed by their importers such as the collari modified RB. Meaning they are internally alterd versions of the given manufacturer's engine.
These are like what I do.

ya know I noticed the small filter mount. I will pass that on to RC Imports so it gets back to collari. They need to fix that. even though the venturi is shorter and not as wide the bore is the same so I doubt you will find a significant performance gain there.
Old 01-29-2002, 01:45 AM   #50
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

I finally got to see this engine run Sunday and i've got to say i'm impressed. This engine is FAST! Seems like this engine has a lot of low/mid range grunt with excellent top end to boot. While listening to the car, I noticed that the engine doesn't sound taxed. By that I mean it doesn't sound like it's working hard to pull/push the car. It just pulls and pulls like there's no tomorrow. This engine would be great for heavier cars(Impulse) and for pulling taller gears than usual. It does have a different sound to it too, kinda like a .15 and it doesn't have that high pitched scream like Novarossi based engines.

In my opinion, I think this engine is a real and direct threat to the almighty RB 5 port turbo. I'll soon see this Sunday how this engine compares to the RB's and JP's.

But the real test is durability. Only time will tell.
FREAKAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 03:30 AM   #51
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Michael_T

Wow!

Here is another 1.3HP engine for you, this time its Team Orion's version :

http://www.team-orion.ch/global/global_news.asp?id=1160

BlueRC | www.bluerc.net
Michael_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 11:03 PM   #52
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to patelladragger

anyone know how the rs12-ts1 turbo stacks up against the RB turbo and the mugen turbo? I haven't seen anyone talk about it.
patelladragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 12:54 AM   #53
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hey look another picco!!!!
Old 02-01-2002, 08:16 AM   #54
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

Motorman,

I thought I read somewhere that you live in Michigan? Whereabouts in Mich, I live in Kalamazoo.
dan-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 09:17 AM   #55
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Mauler

Hey Dennis! You've got a mail from me!
Mauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 10:35 AM   #56
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by Motorman
Rodger
the collari engine is imported and distributed by RC Imports. They have the exclusive.
Thanks Dennis.
I went to the RC Yellow Pages & followed the link to Rc Imports, but ended up at the Castle Hobbies of San Jose site.
That dosent sound right does it? Any help to the right link would be appreciated, thanks.
I'm looking for dealer info. Might want to have this Collari 12 for the store,
just maybe, LOL.
Foger Rox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 11:51 AM   #57
TKT
Tech Initiate

Foger got their url from their RC Car Action Ad's it's www.rcimports.net
TKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 01:36 PM   #58
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to patelladragger

does anyone know of the rs12 ts1 turbo .12 engine is a 5 port like the RB or not?
patelladragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 02:28 PM   #59
Tech Rookie

i thought that the orion was another 'nova' clone
crochunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 06:13 PM   #60
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by TKT
Foger got their url from their RC Car Action Ad's it's www.rcimports.net
I must be a jerk not to have thought of that, erf. Thanks.
Foger Rox is offline   Reply With Quote