R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-18-2002, 01:47 PM   #31
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by Number9
The Eagle? Like bringing a gun to a knife fight!!!
Number9: or "Ted Chan", bring your 9 port "Eagle" to the first
RCCAR race at Castle on February 10 or run it at the January
27th race at Antioch....you beat me either in qualifying or the race
and I will post the results on this site the day after stating as
such...you can even run the NSX body that CAM painted for you
for extra points!
jd300zxtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 03:32 PM   #32
Tech Initiate

Hi John. I was referring to the chassis/engine system and not the car/driver system, LOL! Got more track time on 1:1 tracks than RC, so I wouldn't be so presumptuous as to try to bait you. Enjoy, I do hope to see out at Castle some time.

Last edited by Number9; 01-23-2002 at 07:26 PM.
Number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 09:55 AM   #33
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Hi John. I was referring to the chassis/engine system and not the car/driver system, LOL! Got more track time on 1:1 tracks than RC, so I wouldn't be so presumptious to try to bait you. Enjoy, I do hope to see out at Castle some time.
Number9: J/K! Everytime Dennis calls, he asks about the "other
9 port Eagle" and whether I have seen it run or not... BTW,
I hear from the RAMS guys that your supercharged NSX is
radical...do you run it at Thunderbird and Buttonwillow?
jd300zxtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 02:56 PM   #34
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So JD
how much have you run yours! HUUUUUUUMMMMMM. I believe your initial response was it just wouldn't be fair to run that thing in competition.
Old 01-20-2002, 02:05 AM   #35
Tech Initiate

JD, the NorCal NSX club usually runs a couple of times a year at Thunderhill because it's really a good teaching venue (lots of runoff room if you mess up). We also try to do Laguna Seca whenever possible - great photo op in the corkscrew, though there is this one wall with a lot of paint scrapes... Laguna has a stringent decibel limit though, so any cars with coffee can tips WILL get black flagged. Track car is a 95 Dinan M3 SC. Although the NSX is faster, it's a limited edition Zanardi so I'm a bit hesitant to run that at 10/10. Here's a URL of some pix: http://northwest.nsxca.com/ted.html
Just got a high boost kit (smaller pulley, bigger injectors, modified FPR) installed Friday so RWHP is even higher. Stock short block is maxed, so I'll have to deck it if I bump the HP any more.

So what's this got to do with RC? Same addiction - seems we're all addicted to the "go-fast crack pipe!" Instead of Dinan or Comptech being the enabling drug dealers in RC we have Motorman and Kawahara!!! LOL
Number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 08:37 AM   #36
Tech Regular

Quote:
Track car is a 95 Dinan M3 SC. So what's this got to do with RC? Same addiction - seems we're all addicted to the "go-fast crack pipe!" Instead of Dinan or Comptech being the enabling drug dealers in RC we have Motorman and Kawahara!!! LOL
Hey Number9, are you running floating front rotors on that E36M3?? I have a 98 M34dr my self....if you need some hook up on those and pads (we know how fast they go) PM me i'll get you awesome prices.....oops wrong forum
got_speed? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 07:54 PM   #37
Tech Initiate

So if you guys were in the market for a new turbo (outlaw) 0.12 engine, what would it be? Perhaps a choice between the RB 5 port turbo, Mugen MT-12T turbo, or the new Collari XS12RTSGS5 (whew, what a mouthful!!)?
71dsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 08:01 PM   #38
Tech Master

71dsp

I haven't had any experience with the RB, but I ran against a MT12T today. It seemed that the Collari had better all around power. The track was fairly small, so we couldn't get up to top speed, but I was pulling on the Mugen. We were geared exactly the same. I hope that helps.
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 08:32 PM   #39
Tech Initiate

Thank you much! Do you know the usual selling price of the Collari? There aren't many dealers, so I would like to know what a ballpark price would be.
71dsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 12:29 PM   #40
Tech Master

Castle sells the turbo model for $209. I'm not sure if they have it on the webpage yet, but www.castlehobbies.com is their site.
Old 01-21-2002, 01:21 PM   #41
Tech Master

well, a collari 5 port turbo showed up on the doorstep today from Ron Hopkins at rcimports.net.
heres what I have to say about it.

Vast improvements over the previous engines. They have enlarged the crankpin which is a very good thing it is common with the new RR. On par with a nova 12 pin. The crank is directly interchangeable with trinity piccos as the other base dimensions have not changed. The rod appears to be a 7075 cold forging and is the same profile dimensionally as the previous picco engines. The big plus here is the oil hole has been relocated and along with the bigger pin should make customers happy. The piston appears to be an alcan billet machined forging. they have gone away from the high silicone cast piston on the collari models and the RR. (these should also direct fit into the Trinity models if the crank is used also in the event you feel inclined to salvage one of those)The tunnel under the carb is very clean and the profile is excellent. The exhaust port is a little smaller than I would like to see but I guess you cant have everything, its similar to the OS 12 TR and theres not alot of material to work with to port it. The carb looks pretty good and it looks to be made by the same company that has made piccos carbs in the past and also carbs for the CMB line. The internal case finish is not as good as some of the newer investment cast cases coming out but overall it looks good and has a relieved boost port. The RB 5 port is one of the first 12's to get this in production. RTU's have had it for a year!
well now all of that is said I must say that the finish machine work is some of the best I have ever seen. (on par with some of its competitors best work and better in some places)
I will run some numbers later this week to see where it is timed.
Its also a very light engine or at least it feels that way, I'll check that to.
Looks good to me have at it.

Last edited by Motorman; 01-21-2002 at 01:24 PM.
Motorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 05:39 PM   #42
Tech Master

Anyone thinking about buying this engine, here's one thing that really impressed me. The carb is very easy to tune. I was expecting it to be much more temperamental. I think it is a good choice for someone looking to upgrade to their first "race" engine.
Old 01-21-2002, 07:23 PM   #43
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to adelmundo Send a message via AIM to adelmundo

Quote:
Originally posted by Motorman
well, a collari 5 port turbo showed up on the doorstep today from Ron Hopkins at rcimports.net.
heres what I have to say about it.

Vast improvements over the previous engines. They have enlarged the crankpin which is a very good thing it is common with the new RR. On par with a nova 12 pin. The crank is directly interchangeable with trinity piccos as the other base dimensions have not changed. The rod appears to be a 7075 cold forging and is the same profile dimensionally as the previous picco engines. The big plus here is the oil hole has been relocated and along with the bigger pin should make customers happy. The piston appears to be an alcan billet machined forging. they have gone away from the high silicone cast piston on the collari models and the RR. (these should also direct fit into the Trinity models if the crank is used also in the event you feel inclined to salvage one of those)The tunnel under the carb is very clean and the profile is excellent. The exhaust port is a little smaller than I would like to see but I guess you cant have everything, its similar to the OS 12 TR and theres not alot of material to work with to port it. The carb looks pretty good and it looks to be made by the same company that has made piccos carbs in the past and also carbs for the CMB line. The internal case finish is not as good as some of the newer investment cast cases coming out but overall it looks good and has a relieved boost port. The RB 5 port is one of the first 12's to get this in production. RTU's have had it for a year!
well now all of that is said I must say that the finish machine work is some of the best I have ever seen. (on par with some of its competitors best work and better in some places)
I will run some numbers later this week to see where it is timed.
Its also a very light engine or at least it feels that way, I'll check that to.
Looks good to me have at it.
Given what you have seen so far, and after you do further tests, what modifications would you do to improve on this engine?
adelmundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 07:38 PM   #44
Tech Master

Well adle you know I would like to go into that in detail but thats like sending paris or collari an email asking them the nunbers and details they use. Tuners are ambiguious purposely or they wouldn't have anything to do. I will say that their is definatley room to grow in there.
One of the reasons I don't is I had a problem before that turned out disasterous for a few individuals when I gave them more information than they needed to be dangerous and they royally screwed the pooch and it was an ugly mess between them. You may remember that.
But thanks for the interest. get the book! then start making changes one thing at a time and see what they do. Write it down and make a log of your findings. Use precision tools to measure what you do and soon you will start to understand what each thing contributes or does not. This is the only to get good at it. You will screw more than a few up but if you really want to know that is the only way as everyone's theorys are different and none are wrong they just have different results. some good some bad.
Old 01-21-2002, 07:44 PM   #45
Tech Adept

Does Sigma Trading distribute Collari? Like RBc?
Foger Rox is offline   Reply With Quote