Questions?? Why are?

Off-road motors so much cheaper than on-road
Old 10-13-2008, 06:37 PM   #2
Tech Adept

have you been to an on-road race???
Old 10-13-2008, 07:07 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Onroad engines have more technolgy built into them. An onroad engine has to have great low-end and ballistic top end (the best of both worlds). On offroad does not need to the ballistic top end. But if offroad continues to stay popular the engine manufactures will continue to poor more technology into the engines which will cause the price to slowly rise. But I think we ask for more performance from an onroad engine vice an offroad engine.
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:27 PM   #4
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

It's the precision and tight tolerance of the machining process that involves in building
an ON ROAD engine that is the cause of the higher prices.
but I could be wrong
Team Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:43 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Kamikaze View Post
It's the precision and tight tolerance of the machining process that involves in building an ON ROAD engine that is the cause of the higher prices.
So you are telling me that a Novarossi offroad motor has less tolerance than an onroad? Ok tell me this, the Mega DSII .21 onroad motor was about $300 and the off road was about $219. The crank, PS, carb was the same. Neither was balanced and the offroad had a bigger cooling head(more material). Why the added cost for the onroad?
Tires>>> I don't know yet
quietstorm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:46 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Good off road engines are just as expensive as on roads. My last .21 off road engine ran me over $400. (RB C6BBT-7) I do know what you mean. There are alot of discount engines out there. Ofna, Go tech, Axial, all Chinese engines. If you look at the price of good quality motors, Novarossi based, OS, Picco based, are all on the same price range as their similar ported on road versions. My guess is that there is a larger selection of off road motors than on road, hence the price is lower.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:54 PM   #7
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Most (though not all) offroad motors lack some of the more intricate machining on the crank. Look at the crank on an RB S3 (cheap motor) next to a C6. A lot of very difficult machining went into that C6 crank that is missing on the S3.

A second reason, offroad is a more price driven market. Any halfway decent offroad motor is capable of winning big races. Onroad is a performance driven market. Build a faster motor and someone will buy it even at 1500.00 street price (though not too many perhaps).
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:59 PM   #8
Tech Adept

You get what you pay for with onroad motors if you ask me.
Its like comparing a os motor to a jp.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:03 PM   #9
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRICTLYSERPENT View Post
You get what you pay for with onroad motors if you ask me.
Its like comparing a os motor to a jp.
Bad comparison. A lot of offroad guys would prefer the OS.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:30 PM   #10
Tech Adept

As far as onroad goes.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:30 AM   #11
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

Anyone can make a decent offroad engine, low timings can make a stable running engine and because the lower rpm timings and balancing is less critical.
Getting a competive onroad racing engine means reaching high rpm's without loosing stabillity and power.

Beside that, the high rpm's is giving a lot of more forces on the complete engine, the bearings, crankshaft, conrod and piston are the moving parts and must stand the higher forces. you can be sure they have to be made from better materials.

But if the 250 dollar difference in price is right for only a few dollars spend in better materials......
Old 10-14-2008, 07:45 AM   #12
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I don’t believe that any of the technology is different between an off-road and an on-road everything. I believe that all the materials are the same, bearings are the same and so is everything else. I think timings change, but the overall metallurgy is the same. It would be a lot more expensive for a manufacturer to buy different bearings for off and on road engines, it wouldn’t make business sense.

I think that there’s a lot more choices for the off-road guys, cheaper choices. Those cheaper engines work because the demands we put on on-road engines is greater than for an off -road engine. RPMS are higher, we use 2sp trannys therefore our engines are on the higher end of the RPMS more often. Our clutches are usually set to engage at higher RPMS because we always have more traction than off-road guys do.

We are a lot more discriminating in our engine choices, we wont get that OS VZR, because it wont keep up we a P9R, or a 35plus21. The difference between engine power is a lot more noticeable on an on-road track.

Just my opinion.
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:05 AM   #13
Tech Elite

There used to be differences that helped explain the cost disparity, ie balanced cranks and different metalurgy in the piston. It seems that the construction is more similar these days. One difference that remains is production volume. Far more off-road engines are produced and sold, which probably accounts for the difference in price. As mentioned above, there is more competition by cheaper manufacturers, making engines that can compete at higher levels. NR still has a performance advantage that is difficult to match by manufacturers that produce less expensive engines. They also have less incentive to jump into the on-road market.
duneland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:34 AM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to motojon

everyone has a valid point, everytime I see one for sale on here or ebay I go to jump at it and find out its a off road motor just when you think the price should go down or level off it keeps goin up and up
Old 10-14-2008, 02:11 PM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Production units are one simple answer, less onroad engines but the companies need to keep the margins up. I have the most recent IDM 21's for onroad and offroad, I will take both apart and see if I can come up with any differences for you guys but I believe they are both priced about the same retail. Going by A-Main's price, the "best" Nova offroad engine goes for about $390 while the "best" onroad 359 goes for over $600 but it includes an air filter. At one point they had the offroad 367, with a pipe, extra set of bearings, carb inserts and a filter for something around $500. Nova firmly believes they have some high quality onroad engines for sure.

I have seen this before in the onroad vs offroad comparisons. It isn't fair but the consensus seems to be "deal with it, shut up and race"

At least we sedan guys can buy cheap tires (8th too to some degree) which kind of offsets the costs, even on the HIGH end tires only cost $30 per set for sedan and the low end $15/set. Offroad buggy guys can pay upwards of $70/set and the truggy guys are well over $100 without a special deal plus you have to glue them or trust some factory worker to glue them for you which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. At big races you can burn through offroad tires in 2-3 rounds of qualifying just like we can in onroad though.

https://ActivRC.com http://TeamPowersUSA.net https://www.1upracing.com/ http://TeamAssociated.com
Brian Bosley is offline   Reply With Quote