R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-13-2008, 09:48 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default DM-one or GT2... + starter box question - want your input!

Hi guys. I am debating right now between a DM-one RTR spec (the 1/8th scale one NOT the 1/7th) and a GT2 kyosho...

I visited a local shop and saw the 1/7th scale DM and the GT2... I can say this- the DM-one feels WAY sturdier and just all around built-better. Just feel how much wobble and shimmy you get throughout the GT2's entire suspension (brand new un-run out the box) versus the OFNA car... no comparison, just my 2cents.

Anyhow- my problem is I did NOT get to check out a DM-one 1/8th scale- they didn't have any in stock... I'm kind of in a rock and a hard place, because I wanna get an on-road and I can't decide between these 2.

last item- will my mugen MBX5t started box (its a universal OFNA with heavy motor version) will that work with the DM-one??
ScudMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:00 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Any 1/8th scale buggy starter box should work as long as the wheel can be located on the left side of the box, as for DM-1 it would now be a DM-1 spec with a shorter wheel base and we offer an RTR-34304 and a Pro the pro having the Protoform body(no elec. or engine)34303, and if you want the Protoform body to get if you buy an RTR then the part number would be 40754.

DJ
Ofna Racing
-R2- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:06 AM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Yes, I too going thru the same stage right now...but I have the whole winter to figure that out.

DM1 spec RTR (NOT the kit version) is probably around $50 more then the Kyosho IGT-2 RTR....and yes, I do agree the design of DM1 is a little more advance then the IGT-2 (OFNA use Pivot ball steering/suspension like the 200mm TC, use 2-shoes type 2-speed instead of finger type) OFNA probably is a little bit easier to get parts from your LHS then Kyosho, may be a little bit cheaper on each parts too...

However, Kyosho probably has the bigger ownership then OFNA here on Rctech and also on your track...since Kyosho are the one who created this class...so alot of ppl can share their speed secret on IGT compare to the Dm1-spec. Kyosho has a better looking body (Audi and Vette), longer wheelbase which already proved is NOT any slower then the shorter wheel base model like the IGT one and OFNA and others...IGT-2 got revised motor and heat sink, revised shocks, some other revision thruout the chassis. Around $400-$425 RTR........

To make it down to the line, 1 point comparison....ask yourself this. Do you want a LONG wheel base model or the original buggy wheel base version?

If you want the long, real TC scale looking model...pick IGT-2. If you want the buggy base but use the Protoform body...get the Dm1-spec.

You can forget about the Dm1-spec KIT version...it is a better optioned kit but $350 for a roller, it is starting to getting out of the IGT Spec Budget very easily. It is more likely to be a parking lot bashing chassis use only...
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:11 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 51 (98%+)

DJ... when gluing the tires on the spec one kit, which foams do i use or do i use both?
Old 10-13-2008, 01:10 PM   #5
Tech Elite

I use PL series inserts 81098 yellow.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:37 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Durability is a big question that I have regarding the GT2 car. The GT1 had clutch, transmission problems that were not addressed that well by the manufacturer.
The initial car purchase price is one consideration. The other is how many upgrade/replacement parts will need to purchased during the season. Not to mention having a part break and be limited or drop out of a race because of a marginal part.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:11 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

A lot of the kyosho guys run the GTP2 tranny instead of the stock one and the only gear issue is the ring gear on the diff case. If you have a recent purchase and that gear is the cheaper one, Ofna will replace them for you. The part you want is OFN31010, the useless one is OFN30120. The finger type clutch has a much bigger clutch ring than the old school clutch and the pin that catches the finger has been beefed up quite a bit. I have pounded this 2 speed with the nastiest .28's and .21's mods can achieve and it runs trouble free. The 2 white shoe clutch is even better and it shifts silky smooth with out upsetting the chassis even under power in mid corner and that is the one on the DM1 spec/1/7th. I have a spec ARR in my hands as we speek and it is no parking lot racer. You cant race for long with the stock servos in the ready to run DM1 spec and many people have low priced 28's already in hand so $329 for the roller with a proto form PF-8 already in the box as opposed to the useless(for racing) RTR body, seems about on the mark to me.
crazysavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:00 PM   #8
Tech Apprentice

Hey man, so just to be exactly clear, the 34304 RTR is the same thing is the 40754, except with the hotter body right? If so, do me a favor- please PM me, I had my local shop order 2, and I want to make sure he got the right part number- I think he ordered 34304s... I need to change before tomorow, before it goes out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -R2- View Post
Any 1/8th scale buggy starter box should work as long as the wheel can be located on the left side of the box, as for DM-1 it would now be a DM-1 spec with a shorter wheel base and we offer an RTR-34304 and a Pro the pro having the Protoform body(no elec. or engine)34303, and if you want the Protoform body to get if you buy an RTR then the part number would be 40754.

DJ
Ofna Racing
Old 10-14-2008, 09:20 AM   #9
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScudMan View Post
Hey man, so just to be exactly clear, the 34304 RTR is the same thing is the 40754, except with the hotter body right? If so, do me a favor- please PM me, I had my local shop order 2, and I want to make sure he got the right part number- I think he ordered 34304s... I need to change before tomorow, before it goes out!
40754 is the Protoform body PF8-GT, which only supplied for the KIT (pro) version. The body of 34304 RTR kit is the Gray Body M-type (Mercedes CLK GT?) according from OFNA.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVVT0

http://www.ofna.com/newproducts.php

http://www.ofna.com/dm1-spec-rtr.php

Last edited by Solara; 10-14-2008 at 09:48 AM.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:06 AM   #10
Tech Adept

FYI, the body is available separately, and fits all the GT/ITC cars that I know of...

http://www.nitrohouse.com/catalog/ad...9790ac2c4bba32

I vote for the DM1S kit version also...I have an older GTP (which is very hopped up (Thanks OFNA), and drives very well), and a DM1 (not the Spec) version, and IMO the DM1S is probably the best of them all. It has the newest drive line, and suspension setup, which is from race bred cars, not entry level cars (like the Kyosho, and GTP)...

The GTP2 isn't as nice as the DM1S, but with a little bit of work, it can perform pretty well...
Nitrohouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:34 AM   #11
Tech Apprentice

Default THANKS nitrohouse!

Thanks man- that is excellent feedback and makes 10000% logical sense. I think you're right on the money in terms of grouping the GTP and GT2 together- meanwhile, the origina, DM-one (a one SEVENTH, thank you!) scale car started life as something totallt different- OFNA then took it, tweaked chassis and dims to make it into a very competitive (and legal) 1/8th scale variant.

My own take, this is going to be a REALLY really fun class of racing, and i hope it builds in popularity. While I love running my MRX4r's, I think a bigger version of 10th touring is really a great scale to bring people into the racing side of this hobby- and meaning perhaps lots of kids who already run electric, but maybe this is their first foray into gas...

I'd love to see a great class of racing come out of this - The way I see it, it'll be stock for now, but once you have enough people coming down every sunday, you'll see an outlaw class real soon- and that should make for some VERY fun, very exciting racing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrohouse View Post
FYI, the body is available separately, and fits all the GT/ITC cars that I know of...

http://www.nitrohouse.com/catalog/ad...9790ac2c4bba32

I vote for the DM1S kit version also...I have an older GTP (which is very hopped up (Thanks OFNA), and drives very well), and a DM1 (not the Spec) version, and IMO the DM1S is probably the best of them all. It has the newest drive line, and suspension setup, which is from race bred cars, not entry level cars (like the Kyosho, and GTP)...

The GTP2 isn't as nice as the DM1S, but with a little bit of work, it can perform pretty well...
Old 10-14-2008, 11:44 AM   #12
Tech Elite

I think both brands are building good cars.

Been racing the IGT since the start of "GT" class racing in Florida and have been on the podium a lot.

The IGT2 is even better out of the box that the original.

Won the 1st time driving it at "The Fort-Test Track To The World" looking forward to racing there again in a few months too

Last edited by Jspeed; 10-14-2008 at 12:00 PM.
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:58 AM   #13
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to bobbyblaze

this class look great ,,, i notice both products rtr comes with engines that are off road so my question is in this class you can only run a off road .28 ?
Bend The Rules--Rule The Bends
bobbyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:12 AM   #14
Tech Elite

You can run a .21 up to a .28 engine, I have run both and the .28's we have make more torque and the .21(Picco Evo-2 off road) is smoother on responce.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:56 AM   #15
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to bobbyblaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by -R2- View Post
You can run a .21 up to a .28 engine, I have run both and the .28's we have make more torque and the .21(Picco Evo-2 off road) is smoother on responce.
so you can't run a on road .21 in this class?
Bend The Rules--Rule The Bends
bobbyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote