R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-17-2003, 01:01 PM   #106
Tech Addict

Default Incident between Ralph and Lamberto

Ray Wood's video cameras captured a key moment in the race, when Lamberto and Ralph were fighting for the lead. Here are two short segments of the video you can download:
http://www.rc-racing.com/2003/october/myers1.mpg
http://www.rc-racing.com/2003/october/myers4.mpg

Lamberto tried to make his pass on the turn at the end of the straightaway. Lamberto turned inside of Ralph, who had gone a little wide. The two cars were side by side, with Ralph outside of Lamberto, but turning tighter – in fact, because of the tighter turning radius, Ralph was turning right into Lamberto. The front right corner of Ralph’s car bumped into the left side of Lamberto’s car, causing Lamberto’s car to angle off to the left. Ralph’s car bounced off Lamberto’s car, and now was moving off-line, into the “dirty” section of the turn. Off in the “dirt”, with less traction to allow Ralph to correct, Ralph’s car was quickly heading towards the concrete berm at the edge of the track just after this turn. Lamberto was able to correct, and went on around the turn, but Ralph’s car hit the berm, flew into the air, flipped over, and turned around. Lamberto took over the lead. Load up the video, and play it "frame by frame" in slow motion to see what happened.

The full video should be available around December - you can order it directly from Ray, or from Bruckner Hobbies.

Here are two frames from the video:

mikemyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 01:24 PM   #107
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

Whoever has the inside line at te apex, owns the corner.

Burch's fault clearly!
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 03:04 PM   #108
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default ray woods videos

Well speaking of ray woods videos I own 1 now and will be buying more, he does a great job if you havent seen any you have to get one .They are the next best thing to being at the track and racing plus they are the best drivers in the world. has anyone seen any of them if so what do you think?.

www.raywoodrcvideos.com

mike
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 03:26 PM   #109
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Ah10 Send a message via AIM to Ah10 Send a message via Yahoo to Ah10

Quote:
Originally posted by stefan
Whoever has the inside line at te apex, owns the corner.

Burch's fault clearly!
From the 2 clips, looks like Ralph went wide at the end of the straight into the turn and Collari took the inside lane and pass him fair and square! but then Ralph was trying to cut back into the short lane and bumpped Collari! from what I can see, clearly is Ralph's bad!
just my $0.02
Ah10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 11:24 PM   #110
Tech Addict

The question we'll probably never get an answer to, is whether Collari went "wider" than he had to. If Collari had been turning as tightly as Ralph, they'd both have made the turn OK, but maybe Collari knew what would happen if he went just a tad wider. In that case, either the cars would hit (with predictable results), or Ralph would have had to back off and let Collari go on by.

Yep, if you've got the "inside line" in the corner, you pretty much control things.
Old 10-18-2003, 07:02 AM   #111
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

Sorry Mike, but that is a bit of a biased few in my opinion.

Collari drove a clean steady line and Ralph turned into him, period.

I guess if it wasn't Ralph but another foreigner, this question would have never come up.
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 07:59 AM   #112
Tech Regular

The thing to remember is this was a close move made by two drivers standing on a three story drivers stand trying to control two cars an inch apart slowing from 60 Mph from the better part of a hundred feet away. The fact that one was Ralph and one Collari has nothing to do with it. Did Ralph hit him on purpose?,probably not. Did Collari try and run him too wide?,probably not. But it`s not an unheard of move to hold your opponant out a little to force them to give up the line or slow. Heck,it`s their fault for leaving the door open. There`s full size racers that can`t pull this move off with their ass in the car.
saints1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 08:37 AM   #113
Tech Addict

I'm not sure why you think it's "biased"... I didn't say there was anything wrong with what he did. I've seen the really fast guys do all sorts of things (perfectly OK) to trick the other racer.

In '96 Art Carbonell used psychology to trick another racer who was a tad faster than Art, resulting in Art winning the Nationals that year. He changed his pit strategy for the very last pitstop, and completely confused the other team, who were paying more attention to what Art was doing than to what they were doing.

At a major race (can't remember which one) Mike Blackstock "faked" a turn a little bit too early, then straightened out, and made the turn properly. The other racer (who was obviously watching Mike's car) turned early because of what Mike did, and went right into the boards. Boom, broken car. Everyone was watching. It was pretty cool. I wish I had captured it on video!

Back to the Worlds - if Collari didn't want another car on the inside of him for the next turn 25 feet later, he easily could have gone just a bit deeper into the turn, expecting the other car to have to back off. Of course Collari drove a "clean and steady line", and equally obviously, Ralph did not back off, and did turn into Collari. If you watch the video enough times, including "frame by frame", it seems pretty clear that the two cars were on different lines, that intersected at the spot where they hit. It seems to me that Ralph was turning harder than Collari, which would make sense if Collari was going into the corner faster than Ralph, trying to pass him on the inside. All things being equal, if Collari was going faster, he'd be turning wider.

If you haven't already done so, watch the video frame-by-frame.
Old 10-18-2003, 07:49 PM   #114
Tech Adept

In my opinion after watching the videos (frame by frame, 1/4 speed, 1/2 speed and full speed)... Collari went into the corner hot and his car slid into Ralph. You can see this in the movie in the two frames right before contact was made, you can see Collari's car start to slide to the outside. At least that how it appears to me.
Manbik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 10:58 PM   #115
Tech Initiate

Burch was cooked well before that contact. Collari was realing him in like a dead fish. He should backed off and let him go. Collari also had position on him.
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 08:17 AM   #116
Tech Master

I do not watch the race nor the video (frame by frame).. but I do know that when you loose, just say you loose. Try to do better next time. It would have been the same with saying this particular car has it problem (ex: shock breaks easly) and lets us try to fix it (ex: design better top plastic end and ball end or even harder shaft and shock body) . Not making jokes by, electric car for examples, producing different "flex" of A Arms or upper deck by using different materials or shapes.
Pyramid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 09:36 AM   #117
Tech Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to TambokGT

....I gotta ask this question.....
Is she (Venezuelan hotty) in the video?
TambokGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 04:20 AM   #118
Tech Initiate

If Ralph had eased off just a little.. he could have avoided hitting the track partition...
Neuschwanstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 01:01 PM   #119
Tech Fanatic

Just curious - were there any SMP cars at the worlds??
chammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 06:59 PM   #120
KMW
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by chammond
Just curious - were there any SMP cars at the worlds??
There were 2 of them (they finished 89th and 123rd).

SMP's "factory" team has always been small and their top driver, since losing Oliver Mack, was not there (M. Geisendorf). From what I understand SMP is not interested in spending lots of money to send their team to races, which is one of the reasons Oliver Mack left (they would not send him to Australia in 2001). Their team did attend the 1999 Worlds in France though since the travel distances are very short from Switzerland and Germany.
KMW is offline   Reply With Quote