R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-28-2008, 05:46 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default Guys i need help from experince drivers...

I am currently running the serpent 720 07 and it took me a lot of time to get the car hadle good enough to complete the laps without spining around.. From my experience this car is not very good..It looks good with the carbon fiber the chassis and everything but it has a lot of stuff that need to be taken into consinderation by serpent..

Here is my dilema and please all of you guys that know with facts what is going on please give me your advise...

In my track a lot of people told me that the kyosho v one rrr are the best cars by far ...they are more balanced and everything..others made said the x rays nt1 is the god of everything and that the serpent are not getting close..

so now i have some money and am thinking of buying either the v one rr evo2 along with the option engine mount and the cvds from rc-mushroom and anything else it need you will tell me or the nt1 or try to make my serpent to 08 version...

My car is used a lot ..i dont know if i need to change all the bearings and plastics to make it new again...because they told me that as you run the car things start to wear out and you need to change them from time to time..

anw guys i let it to you to advise me and i know there people here that will be helpful to me and i thank all of you...

is the serpent better than the kyosho or the x ray?
didrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 05:57 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It's not the car it's the setup
kmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 05:59 PM   #3
Tech Adept

ok where do i start, everybodys gonna tell u that their car is the best. but inactuallity there are all very good cars. i drive a 720 and i luv it. Dj Apaloro has a set-up he posted which i use and it works good. just because a car spins when u come off a turn doesnt mean u need a different car, means u need to either let of the gas alittle, or check ur suspension, tires, diff oil etc. are their any other 720 drivers where u race, ask them for a little info. maybe ur overdriving ur car, could be alot if things, u just have to find it.

yes after driving the car alot u do have to check the car thoroughly and change what u feel is worn. changing the 07 to and 08 is not going to be tough, its only minor changes. i have a 07 and it has a lcg chassis, and thats it. its up to u. U decide what u wanna do and not what others want u to do.
go to the serpent 720 thread and ask questions aboutur set-up and it will be address quickly.click on this link below to see a 720 in action, click on the one that say 2007 winternats champion. being driven by paolo morganti

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f
Sponsored by: my checkbook
ceaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:07 PM   #4
Tech Regular

I can understand exaclty what you mean but why does the serpent needs a lot of tuning and setup where as the other guys in the track that are using the kyoshos and the x rays have a good hadling without a lot of set up and stuff..

So the only option that is worth changing for better hadling is the chassis?

or we can better say is the most important one?

why did you change your? did it made a lot of difference?

have you check the new wc centax? does it worth the money?

whats the diff?
Old 09-28-2008, 06:09 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

"It is a poor artist who blames the brush" Dude Serpent makes a good car check your setup/tires/clutch/diff.There are many people who run the 720 & like the car.It could be something as simple as a bad bearing. good luck tuning is 1/2 the fun.......well maybe a 1/4.
cmego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:12 PM   #6
Tech Regular

i just watch the link..

this is the first time i see 720 to go like that..

mine will never go like that ever..

but these are team drivers .. they use many option parts and they have all the best parts and setups..

i dont think i can make a setup like that..
Old 09-28-2008, 06:16 PM   #7
Tech Regular

thanks for the replys guys..

I am reading my posts and i feel like a retarded..hahaha!!

maybe deep inside... i am.. :-)
Old 09-28-2008, 06:22 PM   #8
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

look over this and it will help you. make small changes to the car don't do a lot or you can make it worse http://users.telenet.be/elvo/
Old 09-28-2008, 06:23 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by didrace View Post
i just watch the link..

but these are team drivers .. they use many option parts and they have all the best parts and setups..

All four cars are capable of putting you in the main. Serpent, Mugen,Kyosho,X-Ray. Set is is probably 85% of the car. Even an experienced driver will not be able to handle an improperly set up car.
I have the Mugens and the Kyoshos, and have them both set up to handle the track they run on. I also know many drivers that run the Serpent, and the X-ray, and they too handle the tracks well.
Take the car down to the chassis, check and replace any questionable bearings, and take you time in the set-up. Follow the set-up sheets closley, and take your time putting the car back together. You will be amazed at what a bad bearing will do to a cars handling.Check droop,shocks,tweak, ride height,tire diameter,to in,toe out, and camber.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:07 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Serpent setup for FTMyers with Twister Tires

front
-1 droop
2 hole pistons with 35wt oil
Solid axle
3rd postion Roll center
0 deg hubs more traction more deg... -1deg more traction -2deg
purple springs or green springs(new) 2 hole up on tower
1.5 camber
short ackerman
1deg toe out
37 shore tires 59mm

Rear
5 droop
2 hole piston with 35wt oil
red old spring and ornage spring new
shocks in 4th postion
rear diff with 20k oil if more traction use 30k
2nd postion roll center more steering use 3rd postion
3.5 camber
link long inside low and outside high
3deg toe in
40shore tires 60mm

Central civic
Max Power Engine XXL3
.30mm shims
Maxy Racing Fuel 16%
Yellow shoe .70 gap
Spring starting point is 1.5mm down 250

FORGASS President 2006/2007.2007/2008. 2008/2009

V/P Charlotte R/C Raceway

Team Anchor for .. ReD CuP RacinG ..

Team Driver for TORO Fuel
[email protected]
TrickPonYracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:08 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i run mugen 1/8 but this is a good starting point

FORGASS President 2006/2007.2007/2008. 2008/2009

V/P Charlotte R/C Raceway

Team Anchor for .. ReD CuP RacinG ..

Team Driver for TORO Fuel
[email protected]
TrickPonYracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:10 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Sounds like a set up problem. Any of these cars need to be set up properly to race (not to bash). If not set up properly, they're all capable of spinning in circles Do yourself a big favor and download the Hudy set up manual and study it (not just read it over-study it) Personally, i think this will give you the biggest reduction in lap times as oppossed to upgrading your car to an 08, or buying the best of everything, cuz if you can't set up a car, then you're wasting your money Oh yeah, don't forget to practice and spend time trying different setups. Last but not least, don't rely too much on other people's setups, cuz they may not work for your driving style, or the track that you'll be racing on on any given day.

Last edited by blanks596; 09-28-2008 at 07:13 PM. Reason: noting
blanks596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:28 PM   #13
Tech Adept

didrace, take ur time and read thru the serpent 720 thread and u will see what u need to see. u would be surprised that the pros dont use alot of option parts, or none at all. the lcg chassis makes the car handle better because is lowers the center of gravity for the entire car. but u need to take that car apart, put it back together with new parts that needed change. put it on a set-up board, take time to learn what that does, read the hudy book. take a team drivers neutral set-up ( i use dj apaloro's) and set it up exactly like it says. go to the track and drive the car.

remember to over drive the car because then ur gonna think the set-up is off when in reality the set-up is right its just that ur drive it wrong.

take care and remember hit that 720 thread...
Sponsored by: my checkbook
ceaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:36 PM   #14
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
I can understand exaclty what you mean but why does the serpent needs a lot of tuning and setup where as the other guys in the track that are using the kyoshos and the x rays have a good hadling without a lot of set up and stuff..
I don't care what car you buy, if it isn't built an set-up right it is not going to handle. Are you maintaining this car properly? When was the last time you rebuilt the shocks or the diff? When was the last time you checked it out for proper alignment, droop settings, etc.?

Quote:
i just watch the link..

Most team drivers are not using a whole lot of option parts. It is not option parts that make you fast. A good driver can take a bone stock, five year old MTX-3 and blow you away with it. Obviously not because he has a better car but because he can set it up right and drive it well.

Take all that money you planned to spend on a new car and buy more tires, fuel and track time with it. Find a good local driver to help you with the set up and maintenance issues and for the love of god study that X-ray set-up manual.

Once you get to where you can be competitive with the car you have then you might find more speed with a new car.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:34 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Again, it's your set up. All the cars you mentioned will mess up badly if you don't know how to properly set this car up. Serpent, Kyosho, XRay and Mugen are professional cars. They must me properly built then set up for the track that you are running. My 720 runs and wins with the rest of them. If you have money buring your pocket, the best thing to buy is the XXX Main set up manual. That and downloading set-ups from the Serpent site will help you out.