Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Storing foam tires >

Storing foam tires

Storing foam tires

Old 09-21-2008, 01:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default Storing foam tires

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on storing foams tires. I purchased way too many this year and wondering if there is any good way to save these for next year. I have 14 complete sets to last two more races.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I've been told by one of the tire distributors that as long as you keep them basically inside the house type of humidity and temperature that they will be as fresh when you cut them as they were when they were new or close to it.

I would personally still only run fresh cut (from the factory) tires for big races though but the rest of your tires should be great for club racing.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:03 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

when i ran alot of slotcars,alot of us used to put the in the frig and worked great
Old 09-21-2008, 03:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Storing foam tires

Originally Posted by scott74dog
I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on storing foams tires. I purchased way too many this year and wondering if there is any good way to save these for next year. I have 14 complete sets to last two more races.
There are many ways you can do this.
For the cheap route, for 10th scale tires if you dont have a lot of them, Pringle potato chip cans work for 10th scale tires.
I made a tire box for my 10th scale tires because I have so many. Go to Home Depot<or any hardware store> pick up the plastic carrying cases, and mount small bolts to the case to line up your tires. I store the rear tires on the bottom of the case, and then made a shelve for the top, and store the front tires on the top shelve. Total cost, about $11.00 counting the case and bolts. For my 1/8th scale tires, I use the large sandwhich baggies. One full set<front and rear> will fit in the baggies.Then I store all of the bagged up tires in a large tote box with each baggie taged with the shore of the tire. This keeps them fresh, and they will not dry out.Think I have around close to 200 full sets of 10th scale tires, and around 150 full sets of 1/8 th scale tires, some are at least 8 months old, and still in great shape due to keeping them sealed up.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:23 PM
Suspended

Air, and the various contaminants in it, degreades rubber over time.
Keeping them in the fridge dries them out.
Personally I store them in double ziplock bags and they save well that way.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:43 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

GQ tyres come sealed in a plastic bag...
Old 09-22-2008, 12:10 AM
Tech Adept

The tires we run are made of closed cell rubber. They only dry up from the surface and when you cut them before running or just run the warmup, they will be as good as new. Stop worrying too much
Old 09-22-2008, 07:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Rubbermaid type bin with window heat shrink two sided tape--hermetically sealed. Our winter is long and dry the tires stay perfect.